Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PSX Game Recommendations?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
What are the really good, have to play them, games for this system? I had a Playstation at one time, but other than FF7 and FFT, I really didn't buy many games for it -- I discovered Fallout at roughly the same time and suddenly didn't feel the need to buy console games after that. At any rate, I'm looking for new stuff to play and would like to go back and play some of the stuff I missed on other systems.

Ermm

Erudite
There was this game which was in style of Kings Field and had some type of controversy. It involved setting death traps for your enemies in a mansion and there was some controversy because religious elements.
I think it was called Tecmo's Deception.

There's also Medievil 1,2 Spyro series, Crash Bandicoot etc. You know the drill

spekkio

Arcane
If you're too lazy to look for them yourself, you're probably way too next-gen to truly enjoy them, SMA.

Buy a Wii instead.

:smug:

Oh, I mean: posting in yet another "Google, Mobygames and Hardcore Gaming 101 blocked my IP, HALP!" thread...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Silent Hill, Vagrant Story, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

A user named cat

It depends on your taste, what genres you're looking for or your tolerance for JRPGs.

JRPGs:
Star Ocean 2
Suikoden II
Final Fantasy IX
Valkyrie Profile
Saga Frontier
Vagrant Story
Tales of Destiny 2

Others:
Vandal Hearts
Silent Hill
Tecmo's Deception II
Alundra
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Clock Tower
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil 2
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Twisted Metal
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Syphon Filter
Gran Turismo 2

laclongquan

Arcane
What type of game do you want?

Chrono Cross is one magnificient beast of branching storylines and item crafting.

Final Fantasy 8 is all time favourite in FF series. IT's the hidden vice of the Codex.

If you want Horror aRPG, Parasite Eve 2 is one fun game to play. Aya Brea is beyond hot!

Front Mission 3 is for mecha tactical turnbased game.

Legend of Mana if you like anime-style and complex item crafting.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Phantasmal said:
It depends on your taste, what genres you're looking for or your tolerance for JRPGs.

JRPGs are fine. It was actually Final Fantasy for the NES that got me into RPGs. My family didn't get a PC until '96, so until then my gaming was limited to consoles, which in turn meant my RPGs were all Japanese.

I'm looking for all genres aside from sports, and am willing to give anything a try if it's supposed to be good.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
RatFink said:
The First of the tony hawk games!
music is awesome in it!

I actually played that. It was one of the handfull of games we had for the cottage Playstation when I was in residential treatment. Fun, fun game. Maybe I'll start there.

Destroid

Arcane
For consoles, I am a big fighting game fan, never had a PSX so I didn't really play anything but multiplayer.

That said, here is my list:

Bushido Blade 1+2
Bloody Roar 1+2
Rival Schools

Best enjoyed with a friend, although Bushido Blade has a sort of adventure mode where you sword fight multiple opponents at once before a duel with a boss. It's a fun style of play, you pick a character and a weapon (traditional jap stuff like Katana and really big Katana), one good hit kills your opponent. One hit on the arm disables it, likewise the leg.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, umm... the Need For Speed games up until the point they turned gay with rap soundtracks were released for PSX too.

There's also MDK, Nightmare Creatures,MK Trilogy, MK4, Heart Of Darkness, even a port of Theme Hospital but I don't know how good that one is (seems like the PC one, though).

Of course, these are games that you could've played on other systems too, but some of them work better with a gaypad and at least they're something different than the weeaboo faggotry that was recommended so far.

Ermm

Erudite
PSX had some awesome games indeed. That's why I still enjoy my old grey more than PS3.
Also it had decently enough point n' click ports from PC. I played long ago PSX only game (I think it was Blazing Dragoons) and it was charming.

Ah and how could I forgot Herc's Adventures? Made by LucasArts.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
How about Koudelka?

Some say it's overrated, but it's got good atmosphere and setting. Not as polished as any of the Final Fantasies, of course. Vagrant Story is definitely a good try, as is Chrono Cross (if only for the music).

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Only in background setting and story, though. Gameplay is entirely different. And in terms of horror, it's more atmospheric than the first Shadow Hearts. Then again there's this progression of increasing levity faggotry to the series. By the last game you were having Brazilian ninjas wielding bus signs in Roswell.

spekkio

Arcane
Yup, Shadow Hearts is awesome.

33nbvvs.jpg
2zf8tv6.jpg

Sup, guyse?
30mwk6a.jpg

mariog

Educated
Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 2, Legend of Mana, Chrono Cross.

And if you can read JAP:

Moon Remix RPG Adventure, Growlanser 1 (has a script translation), Lunatic Dawn III and IV, Weltorv Estleia, Solderschild, Atelier Elie and Marie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom