Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Q & A involving staff members. Incline!

Radiane

Cipher
This is something I have seen on another forum and it worked faboulously well. Every month or so one member of the forum staff is picked and then all users can post in a dedicated thread all their questions towards that member. (It´s probably best to limit the number of questions per user to 3 or so). The questions can encompass different aspects of life, hobbies, music, cooking, job life, dirty habits, etc etc etc. After that month, the member posts his/her embedded youtube video where all the questions are answered, and meanwhile the next participant to be questioned is chosen, e.g. by poll. So the forum members and the staff can get more cozy with each other and it also creates much fun for all.

bionicman

Liturgist
There's already a similar thing on the codex and works fabulously well, too! From time to time we get to chit-chat with the administration in the Site Feedback section. These threads will often be named "Why was X banned?". Very cosy!

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Let's have a Q&A involving THIS instead! *questions dick*
b4456d6955515fea4da2cba774cc2743.jpg

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
"Oh yes, I would LOVE to learn more about the janitor who cleans the piss and shit from our toilets" - said no one ever. It's like you people don't even know how slavery employer/employee relationships work. :roll:

Radiane

Cipher
Comparing relationships between employer and employee with users and mods on a forum? The mods are normal beings just like you and me, and unlike employers, mods can change quickly on a forum. Who knows, tomorrow every single one of us could be mod. My point is, there are probably a plethora of users interested in such topics.

I think I've already shared every single detail of my life here so this would be pointless.
1. Do you have both of your kidneys?
2. What is your blood type?
3. How often do you leave your house?
Asking for purely informational purposes.

Mustawd

I think I've already shared every single detail of my life here so this would be pointless.

Hi Crispy,

I hope this post finds you well. Here is a question. How do I test a MB? My old jank PC's MB had outages on all the front USBs. So I got a replacement from ebay. I install it. Plug all the things. Go to plug in the PC, and lo and behold it doesn't turn on.

So I'm thinking...maybe be the PSU is dead? Get a replacement PSU. Install it. Plug it in. Still does not turn on.

So my question is...how does one typically test components? Motherboard? PSU?

Regards,
Mustawd

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Hi Crispy,

As someone who really looks up to you, I've been dying to know. What's your favourite colour, your credit card number, the name of your first pet, and your mother's maiden name? I hope you'll take the time out to reply to a fan! Gigglesquee!

Wunderbar

Arcane
This is something I have seen on another forum and it worked faboulously well. Every month or so one member of the forum staff is picked and then all users can post in a dedicated thread all their questions towards that member. (It´s probably best to limit the number of questions per user to 3 or so). The questions can encompass different aspects of life, hobbies, music, cooking, job life, dirty habits, etc etc etc. After that month, the member posts his/her embedded youtube video where all the questions are answered, and meanwhile the next participant to be questioned is chosen, e.g. by poll. So the forum members and the staff can get more cozy with each other and it also creates much fun for all.
the codex staff aren't interesting people to ask them about their life.
Well, maybe except for our resident MOSSAD agent, but he won't spill the beans.

Humbaba

Arcane
I would only ever ask Finnytron what his top 3 jews are, because I did ask him once and he refused to answer, which idk bout you guys but that's hella sus nocap, starting to think he might be one of them black jews I've been hearing so much about.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
So my question is...how does one typically test components? Motherboard? PSU?

It's always a good idea to have a known-good tester power supply on hand.

I always test questionable motherboards outside of the case. This is to eliminate any possibility of the motherboard short-circuiting somewhere if the stupid customer mounted it in there wrong. Get yourself a non-conductible cardboard box (nothing with metallic printing on it) that allows you to rest the motherboard on, elevating it slightly to compensate for a graphics card's metal slot slightly extending below the surface of the motherboard, and set it on that. Connect your power supply connections, plug in video, plug in a keyboard, and a mouse. Next, you're going to have to manually short the Power Switch pins in the Front Panel connector block on the motherboard. These are usually the two pins that are located above the Reset pins. Consult the motherboard's user manual for details.

If the motherboard powers up and runs properly at that point, then your suspicions are confirmed. If it still won't turn on no matter what you do, it's likely just a dead motherboard.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely, your friend,

~ Crispy

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom