Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spiderweb Queen's Wish 2: The Tormentor - Jeff Vogel's new series continues

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Four different biomes in close proximity neatly divided by impassable mountain ranges holed with plotgates. This is soooooo lazy.

I don't hold that against him, it's pretty standard for computer RPGs. Having a fun map to explore is more important than for it to make geologic sense
I don't either. I thoroughly enjoyed geneforge + avernum. If he keeps his combat + skill system his fanbase will slurp up everything he puts out anyways, so why not be a just a little more inventive?

I think he lost the ability to do that. You need to have more investment into something than just to make money off of it to make it interesting or come up with new ideas. For him, it's just a retirement scheme. Kinda sad

Zeriel

Arcane
Four different biomes in close proximity neatly divided by impassable mountain ranges holed with plotgates. This is soooooo lazy.

I don't hold that against him, it's pretty standard for computer RPGs. Having a fun map to explore is more important than for it to make geologic sense
I don't either. I thoroughly enjoyed geneforge + avernum. If he keeps his combat + skill system his fanbase will slurp up everything he puts out anyways, so why not be a just a little more inventive?

I think he lost the ability to do that. You need to have more investment into something than just to make money off of it to make it interesting or come up with new ideas. For him, it's just a retirement scheme. Kinda sad

Yeah, that's the thing. After his initial Geneforge games he went on this spree of making incredibly generic remakes and new stuff that came off as hollow and bland as the remakes. There's just no creativity left there. I tried to give Queen's Wish a try and my first experience with the game was enough to make me angry at myself for even giving him another chance.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Time to make that a gif eh?
Did any of the other game trailers have an animated logo at the end of their videos?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Qo0Fyyb.gif

best i can do with freeware.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Probably releasing in August, Steam demo next month: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spiderwebsoftware/queens-wish-2-the-tormentor/posts/3508490

Queen’s Wish 2 May Update

Greetings, backers! Just a quick update to let you know where we are with your game and rewards!

The story of the game is done! We’re only a few days from the game being actually complete. We’ll be testing and tweaking it for a couple months before release in (most likely) August. It’s great news to be this close to the end of the journey, though configuring everything for a game release is a daunting job. Lots of online stores to configure and lots of tricky problems to solve. We’re not expecting any delays, though.

We have sent out the first set of backer surveys. If your reward tier included your name in the credits or you ordered a map or certificate, you should have received an email. If you haven’t, check your spam filter. If you ordered a physical object, we need your address. If you’re in the credits, we want to make sure you’re listed the way you want to be listed.

We are getting close to being able to start beta testing for high end backers. We are also putting together a demo for Steam Next Fest in June. Showing our game to so many new people is exciting but kind of scary. We hope you like it!

That is all for May. Thank you again for your support, and we’ll have an actual playable game in your hands soon. Enjoy a brand new screenshot below.

- Jeff Vogel

276401d5784485e8b97e01355b862f79_original.jpg

Queen's Wish 2 has a huge variety of enemies, which are mixed and matched in a huge variety of unique encounters. You can (and, on higher difficulties, should) switch around your trained skills and equipment to take advantage of your enemies' weaknesses.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I'll fall into Vogel's web every single time. I can't help it. It's just the inescapable charm of an old, old man and his video games.

Come on, isn't he like in his mid-forties?
In Potatoland we had this TV program called "Cabaret of two old gentlemen". Both actors were in their mid-late 40s. It checks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://bottomfeeder.substack.com/p/the-demo-for-our-new-game-is-out

The Demo For Our New Game Is Out! Also, Terror!​

Naked self-promotion, plus darkness on the horizon.​

August, 2022.

Several times a year, Steam has a indie demo festival. This week, Steam Next Fest is going on. For desperate indies starved for attention, this is a chance to try to grab a few eyeballs and a handful of wishlists.

Our next game, Queen's Wish 2: The Tormentor, is taking part. You can go over a grab a demo and try a few hours of our next game for free. (I’ll also be streaming the game and answering questions on that page, Thursday and Sunday. 4 PM PST.)

We hope you do. We beg. We're not proud. If you like a demo in the festival, wishlist it. This seems to do something magic in Steam's algorithm to give games front page visibility, which dramatically increases sales for a few minutes after release.
Trying To End the Career On a High Note

The Queen's Wish trilogy is probably the last all-new game series I will write. Queen's Wish 2 is the 17th all-new full length game in my career.

I will have a lot more to say about this when the game is out. I can say that, with Queen's Wish, we are trying to make something unique. It's a mix of Empire builder, tactical RPG, and family drama, full of complex worlds, intricate plots, and tough choices.

It's an unusual and innovative series. It's also not everyone's cup of tea. A lot of people are like, what is this? But the people who find their way to it really like it. Our Steam reviews are very positive, but the small minority of unhappy opinions feature prominently on our store page. It's a weird place to be. At least it makes some money.

Instant, magic feedback on if I suck or not.

Do People Like It?

The demo has been out about 24 hours, and 2000 people have downloaded it. Steam helpfully gives a chart to show how long people play it.

It is so weird and cool to be able to get this feedback. It looks like 40% of people who tried the game in the last 24 hours have already played it over an hour. Considering how niche and odd the game is, we're pretty happy with this. Plus, knowing I'm amusing people adds meaning to my life.

We won't get a lot of attention from the festival, though. The word got out that free exposure was available, and the indie flood has come.

The most wishlisted game as I finish this post. Everything about this production drips money. They’re doing special interviews for their streams! Holy cow!

These Are Demos For Serious Games

This is a great chance to see the state of indie games. It's a serious business.

There are currently, as I write this, 1200 demos available in the festival. All polished games, all with real budgets and production values. This is 3 polished releases a day for a year, just from one little event.

I mean, take a look at the Most Wishlisted Games. Then start scrolling down. This is serious, professional stuff. High production values. A lot of attempted innovation.

They are noble efforts to grab the golden ring. Odds are, a handful of these games will make their creators very rich. Or kinda rich. I hope.

These games cost real money to make. They need real sales. The world is looking very recessiony right now, and the main purpose of a recession is to rid the economy of excessive production. During a recession, the weak get culled.

Most of these games are going to fail. It makes me sad. People get mad at me when I say it.

But it's true.

I admit being a little proud of indie game development. There's so many of us! Working so hard! It would really delight me if it weren't for the stink of doom.

Honestly, I shouldn’t give in to the darkness in this time of creativity and celebration. Then again, I am indie games’ Cranky Old Uncle in the Attic. So whatever.

I Am a Bottom Feeder

Our business will probably do all right, but only because we are such a low-budget operation. For most of these developers, if their games made as much money as we hope to, their businesses would instantly explode.

If you look for our game in the lists, you'll have to look for a while. Scroll way, wayyyyy down. We get the sort of exposure we deserve, which is very little. When fewer demos were in the festival, it worked great for us. Now we're getting far fewer wishlists than before.

It's a little demoralizing sometimes, but it makes sense. Our competitors are just plain better than we are. They have full-time artists, proper publishers, and actual teams working on their games. The top games are dripping with professionalism and money. The trailers for a lot of these games cost tens of thousands of dollars. For the TRAILER.

We, on the other hand, are bottom feeders.

If we can maintain a fan base of a few thousand people, we can live a comfortable life all the way to retirement. That is, honestly, all we ever wanted from computer games.

So I hope you try our demo. I hope you get a few minutes of fun out of it. That would make us happy! And be sure to admire the courage of the thousands of tributes in these Hunger Games. A lot of people risking much to chase an elusive dream. Wish them luck.

Narushima

Cipher
Wow, he only said he was old once in this one!
(I ctrl+f'ed to look for the word, I didn't actually read it)

Ladonna

Arcane
Vogel. I keep buying his games on sale, even though I only ever finished the Exile series and Nethergate. I have to stop. Someone has to stop me. I have disk sets of his that never touched my DVD drive, games in online libraries uninstalled.

No more!

iu

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
1. Exile/Avernum Series (1-3)[1-6]<1-3>
2. Blades of Exile/Avernum (1)[1]
3. Nethergate/Resurrection (1)[1]
4. Geneforge Series (1-6) [1-??]
5. Avadon Series (1-3)
6. Queen's Wish Series (1-3?)

rJxAEPp.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spiderwebsoftware/queens-wish-2-the-tormentor/posts/3532975

Queen’s Wish 2 June Update​

Greetings, backers! After all of your support and patience, we finally have something to show for it. The demo of Queen’s Wish 2: The Tormentor is now available as part of Steam Next Fest! For the next week, you can go to Steam and try out the first few hours of the game. Be sure to take a look. Your saved games and progress will carry over to the full version when it is out.

I will be streaming the game on our Steam page this Thursday and Saturday, 4 PM PST. I'll be answering questions, so please stop by and say hi!

As for the full game, it is almost done, and an August release is very likely. High-level Kickstarter backers will receive their link to a private beta soon. Right now, we are working with GOG.com and other platforms to make your game available in your shop of choice.

If you backed at a level where you get a certificate or are in the credits, we sent out a survey last month. If you didn’t get it, check your spam filter. If it isn’t there, contact us. We want to make sure everyone gets their rewards.

- Jeff Vogel

909a48b3ca392beaf2e060f38741d1f0_original.jpg

All of the art in Queen's Wish 2 is complete. We've gotten some beautiful paintings and will be providing some nice desktop art soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom