Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Quickly forgotten recent and semirecent titles

kangaxx

Arbiter
Cyberpunk and TOW definitely fit into this category for me.

Has-beens, never-wases or games that were memory-holed.

I'll comment on most of your examples luj1 and a few from some others.

Mass Effect Andromeda - Huge shitstorm on launch that I heard was partially fixed?
Cyberpunk 2077 - Felt like 10 years of waiting for hot garbage that cooked people's video cards. Widely regarded as CDPR's first flop. Most obvious case of damniatio memorae.
The Outer Worlds - DOA. I don't remember much hype at all around this past the announcement trailer for good reason. The game that exposed Obsidian as a skinsuit company.
Tyranny - 2014 era library queen. One of many IE tribute games released at the time, bought by many but rarely finished by anyone.
Numenera - Another 2014 era library queen. I wouldn't be surprised if Torment was the least well known IE era game among normies, so it's rather expected that this has an even smaller fanbase. Never heard anyone mention either game out in the wild tbh.
Greedfall - Struck me as some bastard variety Ubisoft game. Inoffensive, innocuous. Only person I saw bigging it up was Razorfist. Didn't strike me as anything amazing.

One of my own:
New World - Born with terminal cancer. Dead within 4 months of birth.

I'd say this is fake news. Tyranny is a fine game.
I didn't comment on its quality, merely that a lot of people bought it but few actually finished it. No more than 8% according to Steam. I put it down to the bloat of isometric crpgs released during that period. Of them, (DOS, DOS2, POE, POE2, Numenera, Shadowrun etc.) Tyranny is the one with the least pedigree.

Vatnik Wumao
Tyranny had some potential, but the rushed ending ruined it. Its patching later on was too little, too late. And now Tyranny as a possible franchise is dead.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'd say this is fake news. Tyranny is a fine game.
I didn't comment on its quality, merely that a lot of people bought it but few actually finished it. No more than 8% according to Steam. I put it down to the bloat of isometric crpgs released during that period. Of them, (DOS, DOS2, POE, POE2, Numenera, Shadowrun etc.) Tyranny is the one with the least pedigree.
It's probably somewhat higher than 8%. The achievement for completing Act 2 has 16.8% completion, and it's ~1 hour from there to the finish line. The achievements for beating the game are separated by faction choice, so 8% for Disfavored only represents a fraction of people who finished.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
tranny is not forgettable
It's mentioned by normies way too often for it to be classified as: FORGOTTEN. On the other hand Outer Worlds if there wasn't sweet hopium that sequal will be better in every way, would have been completely forgotten by now. Tim Cain proved to be senile old faggot, creatively squeezed, by releasing this woke mediocre trash
I've forgotten there was a sequel so that hopium is pretty damn mouldy-stale in the back room in an old breadbin.

ku-medium.gif

Last edited:
This might be the first Non-RPG (maybe technically an RPG Lite as it has at least some gear customisation) game on the list

Ghost of Tsushima.

Everyone praised it at release for being so atmospheric, with good combat, and an excellent setting and world.

I guess it technically has all of those things. The combat is quite good actually, nice rhythm and decent progression down meaningful skill trees. Lots of options, even within the context of the standard AAA "stealth or combat" roles. I especially like the different armour sets you can get, each for a different purpose, and you can slot 5 charms in each, allowing you to sort of further tailor each of them to a playstyle. Parries require a lot of skill and there's multiple viable playstyles that are all fun and engaging.

The big thing that killed it was that the content of the world was mostly ubisoft-tier "follow the adventure line" quests. Most of the quests in the game were basically "follow this character while they exposit dialogue at you, then once you reach the destination press X to examine the thing you need to examine. After that, a short cutscene will play, followed by a (pretty decent) fight." If the game was much more combat focused it would have been quite good, maybe even one of the most memorable PS4 era games. But once you've done your 30th "follow the line" quest, found the 15th hot spring or bamboo shrike, or found your 50th fox, it really starts to drag and you realize that you're mostly in a ubisoft-tier open world theme park. Worse, you will reach max level and unlock everything much faster than the time it takes to complete the game, so for most of it you will be grinding out quests with no real progression other than another randomly-generated (probably useless) charm or some extra currency to upgrade a random cosmetic you don't care about. It's a shame because the combat deserves better than this, it's like the game was made by 2 teams - a pretty good A team that knew how to make engaging combat, and a B team that designed the world, quests and characters.

Overall the game is....okay. But I think everyone got bored of it, many didn't finish it, and moved on to something else. Had it been more engaging overall, I think people would have stayed.

But I guess this is yet another example of my golden rule: If it's a console exclusive, it's probably shit.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Stygian was really good and promising in the first part of the game. Then it quickly escalated down the drain. :negative:
Unfinished game is unfinished.
shit game is shit
It had potential tho, but it was rushed beyond anything reasonable.
Not really. The combat and writing were ultimately rather trite and it was obvious these T*rk scammers never ever could have finished it anyway.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Stygian was really good and promising in the first part of the game. Then it quickly escalated down the drain. :negative:
Unfinished game is unfinished.
shit game is shit
It had potential tho, but it was rushed beyond anything reasonable.
Not really. The combat and writing were ultimately rather trite and it was obvious these T*rk scammers never ever could have finished it anyway.

agree

its one of those games marketed as 'Lovecraftian', but is really a parody of Lovecraft

on top of that, it has shit gameplay and looks like shit

interestingly these people always choose the worst possible art design like this stupid soft comic book look

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom