Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rainbow 6 Siege - Now with 60 years old Sam Fisher

typical user

Arbiter
It was even better, many maps were unbalanced and had huge windows or kill zones like old house, presidential plane, old hereford, plus fuze could always cluster charge entire room, someone was bound to spawnpeek you or run out

it was shit for competetive but it did give adrenaline because not everyone knew about cheesy strats or meta

Silva

Arcane
It was even better, many maps were unbalanced and had huge windows or kill zones like old house, presidential plane, old hereford, plus fuze could always cluster charge entire room, someone was bound to spawnpeek you or run out

it was shit for competetive but it did give adrenaline because not everyone knew about cheesy strats or meta
I preferred it then. Now every map looks the same as each other.

Anyway, I can't wait go try the amerindian bitch.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
So the game is getting its first Croatian operator, who is incidentally also the first tranny in the roster, lmao.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joepar...ntroduces-osa-its-first-transgender-operator/

Noticed by Gamespot, Osa's in-game bio mentions that she "found herself isolated [at the University of Zagreb] due to her unorthodox approach and others' attitudes towards her transition".

Ubisoft then confirmed that this 'transition' is indeed confirming Osa to be transgender, saying "the decision to create a transgender character was made early on, as part of our initiative to have an inclusive roster of Operators. The consultants, all of whom are trans people, wanted to make sure that Osa was presented as authentically and organically as possible. She was written by a queer person and she is voiced by a trans woman – and while her identity is certainly influenced by her gender, who she is in the Siege universe is centered on her talents, her influence on Nighthaven, and her close friendship to Kali."

While I question the claim that the decision to create a transgender character was made "early on", as she is part of the third content update in the game's sixth year, I still think this is a pretty cool inclusion. Siege still has a massive player base that want to be represented in-game, and the cast already covers a wide range of sexualities, ethnicities and backgrounds – gender should simply be another part of that.

It is also great that transgender people have actively contributed to the character, especially in front-facing roles such as writing and voice acting. Does it do much to challenge the entire Tom Clancy franchise's sometimes offputtingly pro-military, pro-authority slant? Not really. But it is cool nonetheless.

Osa is a new attacker operator introduced with Crystal Guard. Paradoxically for an attacker, Osa's primary gadget is a deployable bulletproof window. While that sounds very defensive, its purpose is more to plug up lines of sight made by the defence while the attack pushes forward, rather than hanging back and building chokepoints as, say, Mira would.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
So the game is getting its first Croatian operator, who is incidentally also the first tranny in the roster, lmao.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joepar...ntroduces-osa-its-first-transgender-operator/

Noticed by Gamespot, Osa's in-game bio mentions that she "found herself isolated [at the University of Zagreb] due to her unorthodox approach and others' attitudes towards her transition".

Ubisoft then confirmed that this 'transition' is indeed confirming Osa to be transgender, saying "the decision to create a transgender character was made early on, as part of our initiative to have an inclusive roster of Operators. The consultants, all of whom are trans people, wanted to make sure that Osa was presented as authentically and organically as possible. She was written by a queer person and she is voiced by a trans woman – and while her identity is certainly influenced by her gender, who she is in the Siege universe is centered on her talents, her influence on Nighthaven, and her close friendship to Kali."

While I question the claim that the decision to create a transgender character was made "early on", as she is part of the third content update in the game's sixth year, I still think this is a pretty cool inclusion. Siege still has a massive player base that want to be represented in-game, and the cast already covers a wide range of sexualities, ethnicities and backgrounds – gender should simply be another part of that.

It is also great that transgender people have actively contributed to the character, especially in front-facing roles such as writing and voice acting. Does it do much to challenge the entire Tom Clancy franchise's sometimes offputtingly pro-military, pro-authority slant? Not really. But it is cool nonetheless.

Osa is a new attacker operator introduced with Crystal Guard. Paradoxically for an attacker, Osa's primary gadget is a deployable bulletproof window. While that sounds very defensive, its purpose is more to plug up lines of sight made by the defence while the attack pushes forward, rather than hanging back and building chokepoints as, say, Mira would.

That shield isn't the only thing you can see through.

Cadmus

Arcane
geez, wtf, whyyy?

I dislike the current direction based in sci-fi homo-eroticism.
The game was better when the abilities were more realistic. But if you disregard the blatant rainbow homo, the problem is the game is not a cool military shooter anymore but more approaching Overwatch in the important of the hero abilities.

The Fuze buff is really interesting, seems overpowered even.

Latelistener

Arcane
Entered the game and was immediately greeted by the transgender on the background screen. That's okay.
Entered the tutorial and a stronk black womyn started explaining me what to do.
Checked the roster. Half of the operators are stronk womyn.

Quit the game and started thinking about how old I am. Even BF1 didn't look so bad and I thought I hit the bottom already.

Apparently it was a good game a few years ago because the basic gameplay looks promising, but now you'll have that zoomer flavor in it so have to be in your early 10s to enjoy this (or an Overwatch fan).

Puukko

Arcane
Yes, I had a lot of fun with the game with buddies in 2017-2019. The decline started slow and steady, like boiling a frog (heh). It's a TF2 situation when you compare the game now to how it used to be, except instead of mismatched hats and weapons you get poz.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Phantom Sight (Year 4 season 2) really was the beginning of the decline. Since that season we haven't gotten a single new map and only two new guns. The next season Ember Rise added salt to the wound by adding Battle Pass (because what this game needs is more monetization). Void Edge introduced gimmicky operator designs and removed night maps completely from the game.

Shadow Legacy was the first season with only 1 operator but I'd argue it was truly the last good one, as Sam Fisher's gadget is pretty well designed, the introduction of new optics, reinforcement pool, reinforced hatch change and Thatcher's rework that saw much better Attacker support picks.

Neon Dawn left me conflicted. Aruni is fun but mainly because of her weapons, not gadget. Skyscraper rework is better than the OG but was dumbed down way too much with not a lot of places to hide and very simplistic defense strategies. Changes to yokai drone, anti projectile and anti runout were pretty good. They deleted destruction haze in this season - a sign of sacrificing atmosphere for the competitive crowd.

Didn't play Crimson Heist much, only remember that the armory in reworked Border has an annoying lone locker in the center of the room and I kinda hated it, and the Gonne-6 was wack. Haven't bothered with North Star, but I know since the beginning of this year, this game is no longer the one I spent all my free time on back in 2017 - 2019. God, Para Bellum to Burnt Horizon was *chief kiss*. Now everything is sanitized to cater to esport this and that, lack of truly new content or gamechanger mechanics/characters. What a sad trajectory for such a unique game.

Latelistener

Arcane
The head devs left the project two years ago and moved to Amazon. I guess that's the result.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I know I'm alone here, but I think the game current status is one of the best it ever had. I' ve playing it again recently and I'm having more fun and less frustration than before. The new ping system is great and along with IQ's rework is actually viable to play her in solos and give fast info to your teammates. Some reworks are nice as well, and the last new operators are interesting and more balanced than previous ones (Thunderbird VS Melusi, the last one was a pain in the ass when released with her poor thought gadget). The only thing I'm not liking is that a lot of the maps are losing their appeal, they are being reworked to be "competitive" viable but they are becoming more generic and sterile as a result. Also they stopped adding new weapons, they are reusing the current weapons for most of the new operators from the last two years.

Silva

Arcane
I know I'm alone here, but I think the game current status is one of the best it ever had. I' ve playing it again recently and I'm having more fun and less frustration than before. The new ping system is great and along with IQ's rework is actually viable to play her in solos and give fast info to your teammates. Some reworks are nice as well, and the last new operators are interesting and more balanced than previous ones (Thunderbird VS Melusi, the last one was a pain in the ass when released with her poor thought gadget). The only thing I'm not liking is that a lot of the maps are losing their appeal, they are being reworked to be "competitive" viable but they are becoming more generic and sterile as a result. Also they stopped adding new weapons, they are reusing the current weapons for most of the new operators from the last two years.
You sound contradictory here. "The game is the best it ever was" ... "but the maps and weapons are the same for years and new operators abilities are shit". :|

Anyway, I think the true improvements are more and more scarce by the day, as if the game had run its course and is walking toward it's demise. I agree with the bros who said Burnt Horizon was the sweet spot, Shadow Legacy was the last good season in terms of new quality stuff, and now the game became a sci-fi homoerotic shooter.

Tom Clancy must be rolling in the coffin.

Puukko

Arcane
Buddies got me to try this again and yeah, the gameplay itself is fun as ever. There have been so many changes since I last played it it's like learning to ride a bike again, and I can't speak for whether those changes have made the game better or worse in the long run. I've shat on the character design above already so I'm not going to beat on that dead horse. I found Alibi to be easiest to return to (my waifu :love:), I just can't help but love getting points for tricking people and being credit to team even when roaming.

One thing I've noticed is that I see far fewer of the more recent (well, from the past 2 years+) operators, in quick play at least. Of course, they're more expensive, but I might see one, maybe two of the last dozen operators in a game. Are they badly balanced, not fun, or is this some sort of silent protest? I may be overthinking it.

Pound Meat

Prophet
Tom Clancy died just in time. Imagine what that absolute boomer chad would have done if he saw his beloved IP being turned into a playable tik tok video.

perhaps it is more like tolkien's case: "now that everyone with a final word is dead, we are finally free to assrape the franchise as much and as bad as we want".

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
One thing I've noticed is that I see far fewer of the more recent (well, from the past 2 years+) operators, in quick play at least. Of course, they're more expensive, but I might see one, maybe two of the last dozen operators in a game. Are they badly balanced, not fun, or is this some sort of silent protest? I may be overthinking it.

Modern operators aren't that useful compared to older ones. Azami and Flores are useful and fun to use, but the rest are very situational. Goyo was a disaster and was reworked recenlty, Warden is almost useless. Also reverse power-creep is a thing. Jagger is just better than Wamai.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom