Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

I began Kichikuou Rance.

I'm honestly pretty lost with this game's mechanics. A tutorial would have been nice, but so far I'm making progress.
Anything you want to know that the wiki doesn't cover?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Help, I'm addicted to Rance.
I just created all these icons to add your Rance games to Steam.

imagen.png

Also made Logos

imagen.png

And Heroes for the games that lacked any proper one.

imagen.png

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Hey. When Kichikuou update?
I got sidetracked with Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I haven't touched Kichikuou in a good while already.

In fact I was considering whether it would be better to start from scratch, or keep on going. Or perhaps even skip it and play Rance 5D instead, and play Kichikuou later. Perhaps after VI and before Sengoku Rance?

Jason Liang

Arcane
Hey. When Kichikuou update?
I got sidetracked with Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I haven't touched Kichikuou in a good while already.

In fact I was considering whether it would be better to start from scratch, or keep on going. Or perhaps even skip it and play Rance 5D instead, and play Kichikuou later. Perhaps after VI and before Sengoku Rance?
How far are you in Kichikuou? Restarting is very normal either to make better choices or if you've lost track of what you were doing before the hiatus (similar to Darklands). As for moving on, that depends on how far into the game you've gotten. Like if you are only 10 or less hours in I would play some more, but if you are about 30 hours in but don't feel like playing to an ending for some reason then its fine to move on.

If you do decide to skip to 5D, it's important to know that you can move around each characters' attacks and actions to different roll locations - for example you can move Rance's Attack 1 from roll of 1 to roll of 6. This gives the combat some actual tactical depth - for some reason many players play the game without figuring out you can do this and end up hating the game as just a complete rng-fest.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Finally got around to playing Rance 03. May just be my favorite Rance game, story-wise - what a difference voice acting makes. Can't wait to see it released in English... in 2030.
late 2017*
meanwhile I'm playing 02 again and boy is rest the annoyingest mechanic

Jaded Ojisan

Barely Literate

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Finally got around to playing Rance 03. May just be my favorite Rance game, story-wise - what a difference voice acting makes. Can't wait to see it released in English... in 2030.
late 2017*
meanwhile I'm playing 02 again and boy is rest the annoyingest mechanic

MangaGamer announced an upcoming English release of 03 in 2022. And they take their sweet time translating, unfortunately.
The late 2017 meme refers to their Evenicle release iirc

Longes

Augur
I've started recording a let's play of Only You ~Re-Cross~. The game is absolute kino. Thank you, Tiger Joe, for making a translation patch last year.

WlABXvT.png

It even has content for this forum's regulars

Longes

Augur
A new let's play begins!
In this tale of RAW MASCULINITY and love, Magami Yuuji must discover what it means to be a man. Being kind, dedicated, cool, and strong - Yuuji will learn that masculinity is grand and all-encompassing. All the while there are nine Decadent Juliettes to romance, and international assassins to defeat.

Jason Liang

Arcane
A new let's play begins!
In this tale of RAW MASCULINITY and love, Magami Yuuji must discover what it means to be a man. Being kind, dedicated, cool, and strong - Yuuji will learn that masculinity is grand and all-encompassing. All the while there are nine Decadent Juliettes to romance, and international assassins to defeat.

I did make this avatar ^ ^

Jason Liang

Arcane
Hey everyone, for "reasons" I need to make a new Estiah character. I played Estiah many years before I played Sengoku Rance, so while I already have 8 Estiah characters, none of the are from Rance. Anyway, I need some suggestions of which character I should make. Rance himself is an obvious choice - I imagine he would be either a Death Knight (specialize in Swords, has magical soul stealing sword) or Champion (being a Champion of Justice ^ ^), but the issue with Rance is that I already have a Death Knight. I would make Crook but I also already have a Hierarch (she would be a perfect Hierarch) although I guess if I made Crook I could make her a Pyromaniac.

Rance would be:
Adventurer ->
-> Fighter
-> Mercenary
-> Champion or Death Knight

Crook would be:
Adventurer ->
-> Novice
-> Sage
-> Pyromaniac or Hierarch

Anyway the T3 characters I already have are:
Persephonie -> Scout -> Rogue -> Death Knight (good fit for Rance)
Persephoni -> Recruit -> Cleric -> Hierarch (good fit for Crook)
Ygraine -> Fighter -> Wizard -> Summoner (good fit for Miracle)
Florence -> Scout -> Shaman -> Warden (good fit for Sill, Io Ishtar or Full Kalar)
Aquiela -> Scout -> Shaman -> Inquisitor (good fit for Pastel Kalar or Am Isuel)
Alesio -> Novice -> Sage -> Slayer (good fit for Omachi, Magic, or maybe Shizuka)
Fortuona -> Recruit -> Guard -> Warlord (good fit for Senhime or Kou)
Qinalo -> Novice -> Monk -> Assassin (good fit for Kanami)

Btw Qinalo is the reason why I need to make a 9th character, since to become an Assassin I have to gain the Cruelty skill by pk'ing low level characters.

Anyway, the classes I don't have are:
- Berserker (maybe Rick or Tilde?)
- Champion (maybe Patton? Gandhi?)
- Paladin (maybe Pitten Chao or Kenshin?)
- Pyromaniac (maybe La Hawzel or Hornet? Hunty?)

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Longes

Augur
A new let's play begins!

I did make this avatar ^ ^

Dude, this game drove the happy slice of life car right off the cliff.

1tKcDPQ.jpeg

Longes

Augur
Only You -Re Cross- is great. It has pacing issues in regards to the main plot, owing to its shitpost origins, but all the characters are very likable and the game is a joy to engage with every time. It's also more "progressive" than most games. For a game about RAW MASCULINITY and BEING A MAN, the main character Yuuji is allowed to have a heart. He's allowed to be emotionally vulnerable and cry when the stress is too much and he's among the people who care for him. The diverse cast includes a blind girl and she's treated like a normal human being. It's a good game.

Longes

Augur
The anime series Mobile Fighter G Gundam, which finished airing around the time of Only You’s production, served as a major source of inspiration for its staff throughout its development. One month prior to the game’s announcement, Imam devoted his exclusive page in the Alicesoft User Club newsletter to praising the series, referring to it as “Hot! Burning hot!” and claiming that “a man’s burning soul has the destructive power of 10,000 panty shots from a beautiful girl.”
The most sane video game developer

48JU03w.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Holy shit you guys, real Persona 3 is coming out!

I often forget Alicesoft have made non-rance games. Guess alicesoft is not too impressed at the rate mg puts out releases since they went with another publisher for this one?

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

I often forget Alicesoft have made non-rance games. Guess alicesoft is not too impressed at the rate mg puts out releases since they went with another publisher for this one?

there are continents which have been erected from the planet's crust faster than mangagamer manages to release anything
Evenicle 2 and Dohna Dohna have managed to come out in the west in below 2 years precisely because mankograbber wasn't involved

Tyrr

Liturgist

there are continents which have been erected from the planet's crust faster than mangagamer manages to release anything
Evenicle 2 and Dohna Dohna have managed to come out in the west in below 2 years precisely because mankograbber wasn't involved

Too bad they were both censored. But with Kagura Games being the publisher this time there is still hope.
But Kagura also sometimes takes forever to translate their games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom