Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Re-design TCancer and win a game of your choice (worth up to $50) and 10 years ad-free Codex

Fens

Ford of the Llies
you could try to add some sort of movement or something to the hexes
View attachment 426
(^ fugly, as I'm still on my laptop)
BCfDQ.png

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
yeah, exactly. but smaller, perhaps.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Not a bad idea if something must be done about them (I think the first tiles were fine), but keep it simple. All the dice and guns and shit would make it too complicated I think.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You could do one of those modern A/B tests -

redirect 50% of the users to Fens' design, and the other half to FeelTheRads', and have them all complete a poll if they like the design or not, and then see which one comes out as the public's favourite.

Then again it would mean doing twice the work on the site. Personally I like Rad's second version more, but something needs to go in the three hexes. Close call between Rad's and Fens' designs, too hard to choose for me still. Great work.

EG

Nullified
I'll take Fen's, merely because FeelTheRads's is clearly too modern, hip, and radical.

Morkar Left

I'll take Fen's, merely because FeelTheRads's is clearly too modern, hip, and radical.

But that is what the codex is in the new era of inclinedecline. The little sister should follow.

To be honest it was a tough choice for me. Fens design is pretty good, too. But FeelTheRads design is better readable and it is more in line with the strategy-theme imho.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
If you want to fill those hexes up there's nothing better than the triad of tank, infantry and plane
topdown view style, slightly lighter color than the housing hex

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I'd like to see Fens plane / boat / tank icons on FeelTheRads design. And using something else other than the American stars as buttons. Maybe little hexes or maybe that's where the arrows coming out of shit and stuff is.

And Fens, keep playing around with colours. I was thinking I'd like to see FeelTheRads colours on your design.

True. I thought the right part would be defaced by DarkUnderlord's fugly support buttons anyway.
They're only fugly because you haven't given them any love. :(

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Won't "match" DOS with white graphics on black either. It'd just be white on black which is a bit less retina-burning than what you have there.

This is my entry. Obvious phallic imagery can be toned down if it's too obvious.

ILdbc.png

This is the most aesthetically pleasing version thus far.

The main problem this suffers from is the alternating dark/brighter pixel background which flickers noticably if you scroll up/down on a monitor with a lower refresh rate.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Btw, don't count me out yet, I'm working on something.

Edit:

OK, sample. So, I heard you like it retro:
gxxPO.png

My only other intention is to add 1 or 2 more unit types. Suggestions besides that?

There is a problem with this design, though. Which is that it's not really scalable for other resolutions. This is how it would look like at a higher resolution:
http://i.imgur.com/UMyk6.png

Of course instead of that, I could make a pattern out of the isometric tiles that would repeat to the right... but I don't think it would work since there won't be any units there.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I like it a lot. "we'll have your balls" could be in black and in another, more discreet font.

As for more types of units... Infantry? ;)

http://i.imgur.com/WA9tW.png <- doesn't load for me

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I really, really think you should try to keep the original three hexes. They're the best touch of your design, in my opinion. I do like the new style though.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Btw, don't count me out yet, I'm working on something.

Edit:

OK, sample. So, I heard you like it retro:
gxxPO.png

My only other intention is to add 1 or 2 more unit types. Suggestions besides that?

There is a problem with this design, though. Which is that it's not really scalable for other resolutions. This is how it would look like at a higher resolution:
http://i.imgur.com/UMyk6.png

Of course instead of that, I could make a pattern out of the isometric tiles that would repeat to the right... but I don't think it would work since there won't be any units there.
Holy fuckballs. That shit is awesome!! I miss the hexes in the top left though. :(

Fens

Ford of the Llies
i think 3 unit types is enough, really... maybe indicate range of the 'active' tank by a different shade of the tiles?

There is a problem with this design, though. Which is that it's not really scalable for other resolutions. Of course instead of that, I could make a pattern out of the isometric tiles that would repeat to the right... but I don't think it would work since there won't be any units there.
you could have it fade out to the right or have the tiles with the units as a separate, centered background image... won't be as pretty, but still serviceable

also: consider dropping the dotted background in favour of something not as flickering

other than that: i think we have a winrar

Fens

Ford of the Llies
I reduced the contrast on the background. Is it still bad?
better, i guess... but the only way to get rid of it completely, would be to replace the dotted pattern with a single colour or a larger pattern

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
FeelTheRads, suggestions:
- Put the hexes back in the top left (and for bonus points, put Fens tank / plane / boat on them in appropriate blocky 3D styling).
- Put some subtle hexes through the background to break-up your browns maybe?
- Mess with the "CANCER" so that it's as long as the "TACTICULAR" above it? Kern spacing or mess with the font or whatever. Then maybe do the same to "We'll have your balls".
- I do wonder whether the blocks in the top-right should be hexes but meh.
- I liked the dark background behind everything in the original. I think that deep colour is partially what's missing with the new one.

But the hexes definitely need to be there in the top left.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom