Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a pc racing game...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Thanks for the expert write-up, CreamyBlood!

Kraszu

Prophet
Is there any way to remove cut scenes, and boring dialogues from Dirt2? Watching 3 minute cut scene, or listening about how much everybody likes me, before and after every track did cause to much nerd rage for me to play the game.

Kraszu said:
Is there any way to remove cut scenes, and boring dialogues from Dirt2? Watching 3 minute cut scene, or listening about how much everybody likes me, before and after every track did cause to much nerd rage for me to play the game.

Yeah that's the worst thing about this otherwise great game. "Making friends" with known (or at least I guess they are) racers, cutscene-ish menu and and non skippable tutorial videos (these do go away later of course). The actual racing bits are fun, but menu pisses me off.

Phelot

Arcane
NECROING!

Has anyone played Shift 2: Unleashed? I can't tell by user reviews if it's any good. Some complain it's too unforgiving and tries to be a sim while others say it's great, so is it pretty much a standard NFS arcade racing game or what?

Grim Monk

Arcane
PlanHex said:
Death Rally

This. There's so much fun in that game. And once you've beaten it, you can still come back to figure out strategies to get to #1 ranking with as few races as possible. I've never played a better top-down racing game.

Too bad the recent iPad remake doesn't seem nearly as good.

Surprised that no one has yet mentioned that the original ;) is now freeware...

In 2009, Remedy was proud to announce the free re-release, Death Rally for Windows. The original game, ported to run on modern PCs.
It can be Downloaded on the Remedy Website:
http://www.remedygames.com/games/deathrally

Captain Shrek

ROLLCAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

NFS 2.

Phelot

Arcane
NECROING!

Has anyone played Shift 2: Unleashed? I can't tell by user reviews if it's any good. Some complain it's too unforgiving and tries to be a sim while others say it's great, so is it pretty much a standard NFS arcade racing game or what?

Well, I went ahead and installed and played for awhile. *sigh* At least it tonned down the Fast N Furious vibe, though it is still there.

First off, it's like a weird hybrid between arcade and sim, at least with the starting settings. I wanted more of an arcade game so I set things more to that. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is anything other than a Gran Turismo style career mode which sucks.

There is plenty of popamole such as lines on the track showing you where you should be driving and it changes from green to red indicating you should be braking... and the worst offense, it brakes for you! Yes, it starts to brake for you if you approach a turn too fast. I didn't get too too far into the settings, so I'll have to see about turning all this stuff off.

I wish they had skipped the whole cheeseball azn gangsta hatchbacks and shit. I can't believe crap like a Ford Focus is a serious choice, I started out with a VW Golf :lol: I am trying to get my way to the next set of cars, but so far this stuff sucks.

Gone are all the awesome arcade like themepark tracks. I guess they've been gone since NFS3. No more awesome jumps, all the race tracks are models of real ones it seems.

Oh yeah and they have some celebrity race driver. I don't recognize him because I'm not otherwise interested in racing, but he keeps calling me a bro and when I make a good turn he says "SICK TURN BRAH!" I don't even think he wants to say this shit. Also, it has classic nexgen stuff like unskippable cutscenes which sucks that every time a race is about to begin you have to watch the same cheesy racer babez and crew running around your cars for maximum emotional engagement.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind the celeb racer dude if he talked like a normal adult and told some useful info on racing, but he mostly screams at you that the light turned green and that you should go.

I'm going to mess with some more settings and see if I can fix it up a bit because the actual racing doesn't seem that bad. Has a nice feel of going fast, lots of cars (though a few I would have liked to see are missing. There's only one Jaguar as far as I can tell!) and even on easy the AI appears capable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom