Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me an open-world game (action or RPG)

DraQ

Arcane
The same is true for Dragon Age series, Mass Effect, and Skyrim. Dragon Age, Skyrim and Far Cry are essentially the same game. None of them an RPG, some of them a poor man's action game, none of them designed with PC in mind.
Skyrim, at least can be modded. And Skyrim with Requiem is no longer an everyman's not-really-RPG.

Undetermined amount of time later, you wake up on the couch. Your wife is sitting next to you with a controller in her hands, pressing the X button over and over. You glance at the screen, where Batman knocks out 30 thugs with a sophisticated array of martial arts moves. Spilling the bag of Doritos between you, you turn to your wife. Her eyes are closed.
:lol: :salute:

Frontier: First Encounters
Speaking of older ones.
Also Frontier: Elite 2.

Less bugs and generally more polish, but sadly no appreciable planet geography and no "youreunderatt-RIP" you need to overcome in order to git gud.
Not what you asked for, but definitely what you need.
:salute:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Fart Cry 2+ are all a lost cause. If you enjoy getting malaria or skinning boars to get a second weapon slot while wasting time on consoletard menu system, it should be your kind of game.

But really Fart Cry became the symbol of big corporate philosophy of merging multiple genres to appeal to E V E R Y O N E. And of course multiple platforms, hence the UI.

The same is true for Dragon Age series, Mass Effect, and Skyrim. Dragon Age, Skyrim and Far Cry are essentially the same game. None of them an RPG, some of them a poor man's action game, none of them designed with PC in mind.

Watchhogs too. And that Shadow of Hurrdurr game. And Assassin's Greed.

It's all the same game, where freedom is illusory, time is cheap, and you're constantly being spit in the face by retarded writing.

Until you can't see anything for all the spit, and resign to your little spit-covered world, where all you see on the spit-colored walls are shadows of great promises never fulfilled, and then a glimpse of former you glimmers inside you, and you run to those walls, but trip over the drool pooled under your wife's chair as she's watching the derpy Star Wars teaser, and you fall into a strange room.

The bright lights flicker overhead. Through the spit on your face, you make out blurry silhouettes, moaning "fus-ro-dah", "i want to be a dragon", and something about forced romancing. They surround you, and there's no escape.

In panic, you start yelling how you love to skin boars, and then you realize that the last part of yourself is gone. It is the last glimmer of thought you have as a conscious being.

Undetermined amount of time later, you wake up on the couch. Your wife is sitting next to you with a controller in her hands, pressing the X button over and over. You glance at the screen, where Batman knocks out 30 thugs with a sophisticated array of martial arts moves. Spilling the bag of Doritos between you, you turn to your wife. Her eyes are closed.

Blah blah blah.

FarCry3 is fun, end of story.

DraQ

Arcane
Fart Cry 2+ are all a lost cause. If you enjoy getting malaria or skinning boars to get a second weapon slot while wasting time on consoletard menu system, it should be your kind of game.

But really Fart Cry became the symbol of big corporate philosophy of merging multiple genres to appeal to E V E R Y O N E. And of course multiple platforms, hence the UI.

Watchhogs too. And that Shadow of Hurrdurr game. And Assassin's Greed.

It's all the same game, where freedom is illusory, time is cheap, and you're constantly being spit in the face by retarded writing.

Until you can't see anything for all the spit, and resign to your little spit-covered world, where all you see on the spit-colored walls are shadows of great promises never fulfilled, and then a glimpse of former you glimmers inside you, and you run to those walls, but trip over the drool pooled under your wife's chair as she's watching the derpy Star Wars teaser, and you fall into a strange room.

The bright lights flicker overhead. Through the spit on your face, you make out blurry silhouettes, moaning "fus-ro-dah", "i want to be a dragon", and something about forced romancing. They surround you, and there's no escape.

In panic, you start yelling how you love to skin boars, and then you realize that the last part of yourself is gone. It is the last glimmer of thought you have as a conscious being.

Blah blah blah.
possibly_retarded.png

Eyeball

Arcane
Mount&Blade + mods. Best game made in the past decade, bar none.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Red Faction Guerilla lost GfWL and use Steamworks, not much big deals amrite?

If you want to be cured of your desire to play open world games, the recommended :negative:prescription is Far Cry 2.
Guaranteed to work for at least a year.

I'll admit to morbid fascination with that game that made me try to finish it twice...
Both times at some point on the second map I just couldn't stand anymore, and deleted the game (with extreme prejudice).
If it had been a CD I'd have have smashed it and chucked it out the window, but sadly I have :cry: the GOG version.
It's a train wreck of Legendary Proportions.

Been playing it again recently with Dylan's Mod, which makes enemies actually die when you shoot them. It's amazing how much better it is. I don't dread running into a checkpoint now, guards still respawn fast but that's irrelevant when they drop enough ammo/grenades to be worth my time and they die in 2-3 shots like real human beings. Even if I shoot them with a pistol! I know, It's crazy.

In fact it's so much better now that I'm legitimately starting to think someone at Ubi sabotaged the game. No matter how terrible you are as a designer, you'd have to notice how unfun the bullet sponges were.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Been playing it again recently with Dylan's Mod, which makes enemies actually die when you shoot them. It's amazing how much better it is. I don't dread running into a checkpoint now, guards still respawn fast but that's irrelevant when they drop enough ammo/grenades to be worth my time and they die in 2-3 shots like real human beings. Even if I shoot them with a pistol! I know, It's crazy.

In fact it's so much better now that I'm legitimately starting to think someone at Ubi sabotaged the game. No matter how terrible you are as a designer, you'd have to notice how unfun the bullet sponges were.

I used it for my second playthrough, it made the game much better.
I completed 70-80 percent or the story campaign, as opposed to about 60% for the first attempt.
But its still not no enough carry me to the end...

It doesn't fix:
"Blow up convoy missions, which are to mandatory unlock actually cool/useful guns"
"Follow the blinking dot to find diamonds needed to actually buy previously mentioned guns"
"Periodically drop everything and go rescue three people in a house to get malaria pills".

The enemy respawns, the magically turbo boosted :x enemy jeeps, the magical accuracy...

The instant alert when you snipe an enemy in a base from a bush cover on top of a mountain half a mile away.
As soon as you fire the first shot they instantly start firing on you with rusty Kalashnikov (and hitting), plus everybody starts getting into jeeps and driving/running straight toward your :x location.

HOW THE HELL DO THEY ALL INSTANTLY KNOW WHERE I AM?!?!?!!

Even if you instantly take cover and change location they will rapidly track you down, and likely as not try to run you over with a jeep.
And you can't risk going too far away because then everything will respawn/reset...

EDIT:
Also...
The same lengthy fixing jeep animation over, and over, and over...

Plus the hang glider is now completely useless, good luck trying to swoop in for a surprise aerial assault.
IIRC, you can't even shoot while gliding like in the original...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom