Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommendations

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Surprised that Frederik Pohl's Gateway hasn't been mentioned. The atmosphere is pretty good and the puzzles are (mostly) quite logical, although the parser could use some improvement.
Wut? Legend parsers were great, probably the best of any of the commercial text adventures at the time, and Gateway's was fine.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Wut? Legend parsers were great, probably the best of any of the commercial text adventures at the time, and Gateway's was fine.
I remember at least one really annoying occasion on the second planet
You need to "get" a salamander (some alien lizard thing), but you can't "catch" it. What? :retarded:
The parser was okay, functional at least, but I wouldn't call it great. For comparison I never felt I was "fighting the parser" when I played the early Sierra games (though I admit my experience with these is fairly limited).

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Eh, as I've said I'm not that familiar with either. Care to give a few examples of Sierra's parser being bad?

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Couple things:
Walking Dead is not an adventure game.
What did you like/dislike about the games you've played?

Unkillable Cat's games are all great recommendations (although I sort of disagree with LSL. I don't think it's a very good adventure game, but it's an interesting and worthwhile entry for its cultural significance to the genre).

I'll just list a few of my personal favorites.

Edit: Oh, oh! Forgot to mention: I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream - One of the few games to ever give me nightmares (I was 13 or 14 when I first played it). Based on Harlan Ellison's short story, and largely adapted by the man himself (I seem to remember he may even have done some VA for it?), this is grim, violent, nihilistic sci-fi at its best. A bit on the easy side, but multiple protagonists and alternate endings give great replay value. Would recommend reading the short story first.

aye he voices AM and a couple other characters. IHNMAIMS is right up there with sanitariun for me, but reading the short story and playing with a walkthrough is almost essential for enjoyment. no because the game is too hard, but mad pixel hunting and crappy puzzles make it better to just play through the story

http://hermiene.net/shortstories/i_have_no_mouth.html

TheCrocLand

Literate
The adventure genre is the one I'm least versed in, though I have enjoyed quite a few of them quite a bit: Grim Fandango, Inner World, Machinarium, Blackwell, Journey Down, Stasis. And there have been others I've just enjoyed: Monkey Island 1+2, Walking Dead.

What are some others I should be looking at?
the adventure game that i'm playing is rayman adventures, it's new on the stores and is a great game to play! I also play seashine, it's a very good game focusing in the darkness side. I spend many hours playing both of these games.

the adventure game that i'm playing is rayman adventures, it's new on the stores and is a great game to play! I also play seashine, it's a very good game focusing in the darkness side. I spend many hours playing both of these games.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-27902-1389768857-19.gif

Ivan

Arcane
Forgot about this thread. Games I've recently played that range from good for what it is to good:

Life Is Strange: good for what it is/could be better
The Inner World: fucking good
Deponia: good
Grim Fandango: fucking good
Stasis: good
Broken Sword 5: good for what it is/could be better

almondblight

Arcane
This is also, incidentally, one of the reasons that I would mostly disagree with those in this thread who are advocating VGA remakes. The only VGA remake I would unequivocally advocate playing over the original version is Tierra(now known AGDI)'s remake of King's Quest II.

Also, at least for QFG I, I felt the EGA graphics were much better than the VGA graphics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom