Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption Ripoff

Zeus

Cipher
Rockstar has ushered in a new low in the era of pre-order bonuses. Pre-order bonuses have become a standard, and while it sucks knowing you'll never get the cool fire sword or skullgun if you wait for the price to come down or buy used--that's the whole point. People who pay more to pre-order at GameStop are rewarded.

YU4kI.jpg

Until now, that is. GameStop customers who pre-order Red Dead Redemption, Rockstar's new "Wild West GTA" game, receive one of three outfits: The Savvy Merchant, The Deadly Assassin, or The Expert Hunter; each with its own special ability.

So GameStop waves three rewards under my nose, takes my money and then only has give me one of them. I'm thrilled, because it's hard for me to truly enjoy a game unless I'm overwhelmed by a crippling feeling of incompleteness.

Even better, customers don't get to pick which bonus costume they receive. There's a poll to determine that. In what Twilight Zone scenario is it okay for strangers to vote on your clothes? This is how Rockstar "rewards" loyal customers who plunk down $60 to pre-order (even when they know it's going to hit $40 on Amazon in a couple of days).

Now, I know what you're thinking: "Please stop yelling at me about cowboys." And you're right. You'd also be right if you thought: "Big deal, the Deadly Assassin is going to win, and he's the coolest, right?"

Of course Deadly Assassin's going to win, how couldn't he? He's got an eyepatch and trench coat, he's dressed all in black. The only thing missing is a double-scar down the side of his --

DebPp.jpg

Aw crap. This isn't democracy, it's just your classic Magician's Choice. "Power to the Players"? They loaded this guy so full of Dudebro, the only way they could make it more obvious that they want him to win is if they accidentally let it slip that "Deadly Assassin" is ready to go, poll results be damned.

b0Meh.png

Blarg.

Sure, I thought Deadly Assassin was cool. I can't not think he's cool. But if it were up to me--which it's not--I'd choose the Hunter. Lame as his coonskin cap may be, the ability is far more unique ("Receives double the amount of skins and hides from hunting," as opposed to "Regenerates Dead Eye targeting twice as fast."), and in his wallpaper, he's fighting a grizzly bear with a Bowie knife.

Cm8EJ.jpg

That is the manliest activity known to man. It'd even put hair on Matt Lucas' chest. Alas, The Expert Hunter doesn't stand a snowball's chance in Death Valley.

Adding insult to injury, the poll is open to everyone, not just customers who pre-order, but anyone with an internet connection and a little free time.

* Kids so young they're not allowed to play M-rated games get to vote.
* People who can't afford to pre-order get to vote.
* Anyone who is ticked off by this !@#$tease contest gets to vote (Vote for the Worst, that is).

Who could possibly benefit from this? Customers have to choose between paying $60 for one of three costumes, or buying a used $20 copy for none of three costumes. I doubt it's saving the Rockstar developers much work; the art team obviously rendered all three costumes, as evidenced by the promo shots, wallpapers, and sixty second trailer.

This sort of misguided attempt to fight the secondhand market always backfires. As much as corporations love making money by selling video games, they hate the public's legal right to sell their video games used. They would much rather we be stuck with our Superman 64's and Jackass: The Game's, bound to them forever as if we had had the misfortune to lift a cursed sword from a blackened swamp.

All I can say is this: there's no way in hell I'm not buying this thing used.

Anyone ever notice how close corporate law are to the every whim of a mad warlock? Take small print: "We can do bad things to you because you didn't read the text that was small to read." Or the time I opened Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and saw a piece of paper informing me I had 'agreed' not to resell it on eBay: "You gave up your rights when you opened the box, just like it says on the inside of the box."

I give it ten months before Wallmart claims droit de seigneur.

Armacalypse

Scholar
If you're gonna refuse to give the developers money then pirate it you hypocritical turd. I know I will.

Zeus

Cipher
Clockwork Knight said:
Hahaha! :). Where did you find this?

I wrotes it meself.

Clockwork Knight said:
...wait... you actually care about the preorder DLC-like overpowered shit?

I love "living off the land" type games, like UnReal World RPG, so waving a cool Hunter class under my nose and then yanking it away made it personal. And now thanks to that poll, it looks like it won't even make it into the Game of the Year edition.

Armacalypse said:
If you're gonna refuse to give the developers money then pirate it you hypocritical turd. I know I will.

Pirating Xbox 360 games is a whole can of worms I have no interest in opening.

Secretninja

Cipher
Nostradumbass said:
in the end the other costumes, and all the costumes, will be rleased as free dlc or in a patch. thats usually how it works. but not before theyve made plenty of sales basically.
:lol:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Pre-order DLC faggotry for a game for fags by fags. Is that supposed to be interesting to anyone who isn't a fag?

denizsi

Arcane
Deadly Assassin Outfit, no contest. You can't beat increased dead-eye generation. It almost makes an RPG-kind of difference.

Zeus said:
I love "living off the land" type games, like UnReal World RPG, so waving a cool Hunter class under my nose and then yanking it away made it personal.

Yeah, but these aren't real classes, just extra outfits with a broken skill attached to them.

If this dead eye skill is anything like GUN's "slow down to aim better" skill, then Deadly Assassin sounds like the most horribly broken of the three.

Merchant just saves time on money grinding, and Hunter just saves time on item grinding.

Zeus

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Zeus said:
People who pay more to pre-order at GameStop are retarded.

Which goes nicely with:

Zeus said:
All I can say is this: there's no way in hell I'm not buying this thing used.

The problem is, even if I wait to buy the Game of the Year edition, it looks like they'll be no way to get the Hunter outfit. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they'll release it as DLC, which will later be included free on the GotY disc. But as far as I know, only standard release DLC is included on those things, not pre-order stuff.

It's sweet you looked up my old posts, though.

LazyD

Liturgist
I'm sure your local tracker will have it all nicely bundled for you.

and who gives a fuck really? Its a fucking character skin... and a 'Uber special limited to something' ability.

Wow... are you really giving a shit?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
They know Europeans suck and will need twice as much V.A.T.S.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom