Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Requesting some JRPG recommendations.

Zomg

Arbiter
Topdrunkee thy ILLnifique said:
Hah hah, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, and I'm assuming that you never played the Ps2 Megaten's before.

Nope.

I'll play Persona 1 after some fan group relocalizes it. I gave the current English localization a half hour or so and it only irritated me.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
jBros, need some JRPG/SRPG advice for PS3 and PS Vita (PSX, PSP also works if available in PSN).

The list of what I've completed:
FF 1-2, 4-9, 13 & 13-2, chrisis core
Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger
Valkyria Chronicles I & II
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Jeanne D'Ark
Persona 3-4

I also tried (but not finished) Star Ocean (didn't like the battle system), Vagrant Story (couldn't get used to battle system), Persona 2 (couldn't stand the too often battle rate), Suikoden II, FFT & Tactics Ogre.

My fav. games from the list are FF9, Chrono Cross, VCs, VP, Personas and JD.

The preferble battle system is ATB or TB.

Please give some advice, because there are A LOT of JRPG games.

Thx in advance.

laclongquan

Arcane
FF8. Yeah, fuck you too. Yes, you, you and you!. It has interesting setting (world during apocalypse, not before and not after) interesting combat system and pioneer of its type. Characters are not derp as other Codexers would have you believe. Overall I recommend it.

Chrono Cross. Great long game, ton of playable characters, interesting setting, good art.

Front Mission 3. If you think it's too slow, get an emulator and set animation speed to high. Configurable mecha suit, ton of weapon and class skill. Loot. Story is a bit too linear but FM3 is NOT for storyfag.

Off the top of my head~

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
FF8. Yeah, fuck you too. Yes, you, you and you!. It has interesting setting (world during apocalypse, not before and not after) interesting combat system and pioneer of its type. Characters are not derp as other Codexers would have you believe. Overall I recommend it.

Chrono Cross. Great long game, ton of playable characters, interesting setting, good art.

Front Mission 3. If you think it's too slow, get an emulator and set animation speed to high. Configurable mecha suit, ton of weapon and class skill. Loot. Story is a bit too linear but FM3 is NOT for storyfag.

Off the top of my head~
Unironically think 8 has the best story of every FF game; but also subscribe to Rinoa is... theory. I don't give a fuck what they said.
Great overland theme and card game, too.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Good job suggesting things for the over 5 year old OP guys.

jBros, need some JRPG/SRPG advice for PS3 and PS Vita (PSX, PSP also works if available in PSN).

The list of what I've completed:
FF 1-2, 4-9, 13 & 13-2, chrisis core
Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger
Valkyria Chronicles I & II
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Jeanne D'Ark
Persona 3-4

I also tried (but not finished) Star Ocean (didn't like the battle system), Vagrant Story (couldn't get used to battle system), Persona 2 (couldn't stand the too often battle rate), Suikoden II, FFT & Tactics Ogre.

My fav. games from the list are FF9, Chrono Cross, VCs, VP, Personas and JD.

The preferble battle system is ATB or TB.

Please give some advice, because there are A LOT of JRPG games.

Thx in advance.

Top of my list that you haven't played would be:

Saga Frontier: open world, multiple main characters with their own storylines, excellent and original combat system. Unfortunately, it's unfinished, and it shows rather obviously in some places. If you play it I suggest starting with T260G or Blue, though anyone but Aselleus and Lute is probably fine.

SMT Nocturne: Cool setting, excellent combat system, multiple endings, and collecting/fusing demons is fun.

However, your taste in games seems to be fairly shit so I'm not at all sure you'll like either of those two. Maybe try Dragon quest 9 or whatever the latest console one was. It's got the same kind of superficially retro vibe as FF9. You could also try some of the recent 'Tales of' games. They have lots of talking and the battles are really easy. The combat looks similar to Star Ocean but the enemies don't do the spazzy evasive movement they do in Star Ocean so it's a lot easier to follow.

laclongquan

Arcane
Never a fan of Rinoa. I am a Rance-school guy myself, which mean Squall should have grabbed both Quistis and Rinoa. but if must choose, Quistis win every time.

One of these day I may have to try Saga Frontier. Had it before but never tried it beyond first hour.

A horror action rpg I can recommend is Parasite Eve 2. PE1 is boring, and blocky graphic, but PE2 is a fun action horror. I replayed 7 times. Nojoke~

In term of animu artstyle, if you are not afraid of it, there are a few gems worth checking out:

Legend of Mana. It's loli animu artstyle so it might turn you off from the start. But it's a great game with great item crafting part.

Harvest Moon series is a classic, of course. My phase of HM obsession ended quite quickly but it's a fun style.

Reccetear. It's semi-jrpg. Fast play, replayable, and Fun! Recommend!

Last edited:

Amn Nom

Learned
You have most of the good turn based stuff covered, my recommendations would be:
-Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen: You fight huge monsters with a party of 4. You can jump on and hit weak spots on said huge monsters. Seriously, grab this game.
-Demon Souls: I'm a Souls fanboy, so I gotta throw out recommendations anytime the systems they are available on come up.
-Ys Memories of Celceta: I'm told its the best action RPG on the vita, so you may want to track this down.
-Growslanser Wayfarer of Time: A real time with pause JRPG. I never even knew these things existed for JRPGs, but it actually worked fairly well. Game is hard as fuck though, so buyer beware.
-Trails in the Sky FC: Its coming to PC soon, so you may want to wait depending on your platform choice. Either way, its a heavy storyfag game that has great worldbuilding + story, and a weird grid based combat system.
-Odin Sphere: Its on the PS2 classics section, haven't actually played the game yet due to backlog, but I've heard its a really good game with some odd design choices regarding the alchemy.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You have most of the good turn based stuff covered, my recommendations would be:
-Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen: You fight huge monsters with a party of 4. You can jump on and hit weak spots on said huge monsters. Seriously, grab this game.
-Demon Souls: I'm a Souls fanboy, so I gotta throw out recommendations anytime the systems they are available on come up.
-Ys Memories of Celceta: I'm told its the best action RPG on the vita, so you may want to track this down.
-Growslanser Wayfarer of Time: A real time with pause JRPG. I never even knew these things existed for JRPGs, but it actually worked fairly well. Game is hard as fuck though, so buyer beware.
-Trails in the Sky FC: Its coming to PC soon, so you may want to wait depending on your platform choice. Either way, its a heavy storyfag game that has great worldbuilding + story, and a weird grid based combat system.
-Odin Sphere: Its on the PS2 classics section, haven't actually played the game yet due to backlog, but I've heard its a really good game with some odd design choices regarding the alchemy.
-Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen: - have this one in PS+, hopefully try it some time
-Demon Souls: - also have this in PS+, but I'm not a fan of this kind of challenge, I'm like a more relaxed kind of gameplay
-Ys Memories of Celceta: - yeah, I've kept my eye on this
-Growslanser Wayfarer of Time: - looks promising, but too hard?
-Trails in the Sky FC: I - yeah, actually, I've played a bit of this and I liked it, but later my PSP was stolen, but this game I'll walk through for sure!
-Odin Sphere: - screenshots look beautiful (reminds of Muramasa Rebirth 'I'm playing now), though I'm not sure if it's available in Russian PSN store.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Eh honestly I tried getting into it myself (after playing every Ys game released on PSP) but a couple of things absolutely killed my motivation to go further than an hour into the game.
1. Tutorials. So many fucking tutorials. Without any exaggeration whatsoever if you can do it there's a tutorial for it. Even at that hour into the game there's still more tutorials. Also I was on the hardest difficulty to see if that would make the tutorials go away. It didn't.
2. Voice acting. It's grating as all hell and you can't turn it off. If you are fine with anime voice acting then this won't be too much of an issue for you.
3. The party system. Your allies won't dodge attacks anymore like they did in Ys Seven (also get Ys Seven before this because they are mostly the same) so if your character's health gets too low switching won't do anything to help since the other party member's health probably won't be any better.
Who knows it might get better but so far I absolutely hate it.
EDIT: Forgot to mention the stupid kill cams that happen if you finish an enemy with a skill that you also can't turn off.
EDIT2: Well I took it out to see how some of these are and I found you can control the party via the back touch pad. You control your party by using the worst idea Sony ever put on a controller. Well then.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
Check out the Grandia games. They probably have the best turn-based combat of any jRPG ever made, although they still have the typical jRPG problem of combat being way too easy. Story is pretty weaboo, but lighthearted rather than the usual retarded melodrama.

Amn Nom

Learned
-Growslanser Wayfarer of Time: - looks promising, but too hard?
-Odin Sphere: - screenshots look beautiful (reminds of Muramasa Rebirth 'I'm playing now), though I'm not sure if it's available in Russian PSN store.
I couldn't finish Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time because of the difficulty, its one of those 'you need to figure out the optimal setup for this map and then do it.' Game is well designed otherwise, so its well worth taking a look at if you know what you are getting yourself into. If you want something easier I would just skip this altogether.

Odin Sphere is actually from the same guys who put out Muamasa/Dragon's Crown.

Snozgobler

Educated
If you're looking at PSX games, I quite enjoyed Vanguard Bandits and Azure Dreams. I was like 12-15 at the time though, so they may actually be shit.

I'd also second the recommendation for Front Mission 3.

da_rays

Augur
Well just about what everyone said , all great suggestions. The 8bit and 16bit consoles got quite a few games that been translated ( Secret of Mana 2 , Dark law and Treasures of the Rudras come to mind ) . You'll maybe find a few gem there . Xenoblade Chronicle is pretty decent for what it is. You just need a wii emu of some sort. Or a plain wii hehe. FFT is a must play , need a lots of hours of your life tho , but totally worth it. Ogre battle is good too if you like strategy JRPG.

Renegen

Arcane
Check out the Grandia games. They probably have the best turn-based combat of any jRPG ever made, although they still have the typical jRPG problem of combat being way too easy. Story is pretty weaboo, but lighthearted rather than the usual retarded melodrama.
Grandia 2 has to be the most boring jRPG I've ever played, but that's because the story is nothing more than an excuse to bring you more combat, which isn't even that good.

You might be interested however in the precursors of Grandia, and that's Lunar 1 & 2. They are the Classics with a capital C, cliche and yet very good. If you like playing history rather than some random jRPG, they are definitively recommended. Christ, I can still hum the main tune after all these years.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
First Grandia is a very enjoyable game, with one of the better JRPG combat systems out there. Only major negative thing in the game are the characters, who are mostly kids, which will probably turn some people off.

Xeon

Augur
Breath of Fire 3 and 4
Legend of Legaia: Combat is somewhat similar to Xenogears with the combos and stuff.
Xenogears

You'll probably won't enjoy many of the old JRPGs if you can't stand the random encounter rates. Some of the old ones had combat every 3-4 steps.

I liked the 3 guys in FF8... but other than those guys I think I hated most of the characters especially Rinoa and Squall. Played it only once when it first came out and man that sucked I dropped it at the end of Disc 3 where they were about to head to the Witch's world or something. That's about all I remember of that game.

HERESY

Barely Literate
Probated
Terranigma
Seiken Densetsu (secret/legend of mana series)
Y's
Bahamut Lagoon
Vandal Hearts (the first one)
Wild Arms
Black/Matrix
Dragon Shadow Spell (a game that should have made it to the sates but did not. Talk about dropping the ball.)

So these, along with the very good suggestions you've already received should set you on your way.

Phinx

Augur
Snes:
Zelda A link to the past
Terranigma
Treasure Hunter G
Earthbound

Ps1:
Star Ocean The second story
Valkyrie Profile

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom