Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
maxresdefault.jpg

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm always cautious of old timers with their dying brains getting back into the saddle again. But maybe that old dog can still learn some new tricks. Never say never.

Gilbert still seems to be able to write, though I do agree with your general sentiment.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I am glad he gets the chance to make his dream game. Stil Timbelweed Park had too many 90s references and that annoying clown so I am not expecting a master piece.

Drop Duck

Learned
The Curse of Monkey Island was the best game in the series and this looks like a flash game. Wouldn't mind a new Monkey Island game but where is the hype coming from? The old name attached to the project? If he still had it why wouldn't he have been pumping out adventure game hit after hit until now? Thimbleweed Park didn't even reach Wadjet Eye quality. Gilbert was also not the only one behind the first two games, how many others will be making a return? Any background artists? Curb your enthusiasm. If this turns out better than Ghost Pirates Of Voojo Island then it might be an okay throwback but catching lighting in a bottle doesn't happen after the third time. What really made Monkey Island great was not only the people involved but LucasArts itself.

Keshik

Arcane
The Curse of Monkey Island was the best game in the series and this looks like a flash game. Wouldn't mind a new Monkey Island game but where is the hype coming from? The old name attached to the project? If he still had it why wouldn't he have been pumping out adventure game hit after hit until now? Thimbleweed Park didn't even reach Wadjet Eye quality. Gilbert was also not the only one behind the first two games, how many others will be making a return? Any background artists? Curb your enthusiasm. If this turns out better than Ghost Pirates Of Voojo Island then it might be an okay throwback but catching lighting in a bottle doesn't happen after the third time. What really made Monkey Island great was not only the people involved but LucasArts itself.

Well, yeah Gilbert is most of the hype. But it's not as if it's just him involved in this - they have a good number of LucasArts veterans.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron

Disagree. TP blew anything Wadget out of the water, in many ways.

Viata

Arcane

Disagree. TP blew anything Wadget out of the water, in many ways.
TP was the best adventure game in years. It made me even ignore all the shit games released before it.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
First day purchase, of course. I can understand why he doesn't want to go with the pixel-art look. For the record, only Monkey Island 1 was traditionally pixeled (16-colour EGA original, then the enhanced 256-colour VGA paintover), the backgrounds in MI2 were digitised paintings (320x200 256-colour VGA converted down to 32 colours for the Amiga version with mixed results). So the logical evolution would be gorgeous hand-painted backgrounds like for example in The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 that could still retain a certain cartoony feel (actually, some of those backgrounds seem like touched up renders, similar to Syberia). This overly simplistic vector gfx like style seems like decline...

Having said all that, if the puzzles and the story will be good, I won't care too much about the graphics. And yes, Thimbleweed Park was quite good.

ss_07c4df61e5e89775899b1984d8f75ae12b5fdfa1.1920x1080.jpg

ss_51fbde5e37076d0ff263328a549fa9ffa96a7245.1920x1080.jpg

WallaceChambers

Learned
What a game like Thimbleweed Park vs most Wadjet Eye titles are even trying to do design wise feels far enough apart that I wouldn't even judge them by the same criteria. As far as LucasArts style open ended adventure games with tons of item puzzles go, Thimbleweed Park has some of the best design I've come across. The time travel gimmick in DoTT might be more brilliant, but TP is up there.

Of course, some people didn't appreciate the meta-narrative ending, but I didn't mind it.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
What a game like Thimbleweed Park vs most Wadjet Eye titles are even trying to do design wise feels far enough apart that I wouldn't even judge them by the same criteria. As far as LucasArts style open ended adventure games with tons of item puzzles go, Thimbleweed Park has some of the best design I've come across.

Dude it's not even a contest, Wadjet Eye abominations have nothing in common with TP.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Perhaps it's a "sequel to MI2" in the sense that it follows up on the plot of MI2 while still taking place after MI3.

Has anybody asked him about MI4 and the TellTale game?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Thimbleweed Park was pretty good. There's some hope for this.

Also, I was under the impression Ron back in the day wanted to stop making MI games, hense the ending in 2. It will be interesting to see how he'll continue with this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom