Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Reviews/Opinions on Path of Exile?

I do wish they would pull the camera back just a hair.

sucks. Grim Dawn >

Grim Dawn isn't randomized, is it? For some reason lack of randomization has always bugged me in Diablo-likes.

Hyperion

Arcane
Grim Dawn has a static World Map, but blockages, and some cave locations are randomized among a few possible locations. It's a much better experience the first time through, but loses its luster in the middle of the second difficulty. I even tried playing with a difficulty mod and community made skill trees, and still couldn't keep myself interested past the 2nd difficulty with a character.

Hyperion

Arcane
Some of the masteries are rebalanced. Others are entirely new. The constellations have been rebalanced as well. DAIL is the big compilation. Has like 10 brand new masteries. Most of the community made masteries are broken as fuck, so use them at your own risk.

Frost Knight / Terror Knight is a glorious 2h melee class.
Elementalist / Anything breaks the game.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38785

deama

Prophet
Heh, I always played the bad boy card and just hacked the zoom in PoE.

ArchAngel

Arcane
For me PoE always had two big problems that prevented me from being best aRPG: 1. Desync and 2.Gem socket system on items.
1. This was fixed "recently" with introduction of lockstep system. Now I get delays here and there but I can actually trust that what I do in the game happens exactly.

2. This is still shit although it was made better with introduction of Vorici master.
Why is this a problem? Because you rarely get upgrades to your gear, especially when leveling through normal content. It is always oh I got good stats but sockets and colors are wrong. It just creates too much randomness in loot system. Diablo 2 has enough randomness in this, Grim Dawn has enough randomness (maybe even too much with so many different damage types and resists needed for them), Diablo 3 has too little. PoE is 3x worse than all of them.
Even when you are rich (which you accomplish through mindless grind) you will need to waste a lot of that to get good mods and good sockets and links and colors. And this shit is made like this on purpose to promote its online only features like trading and grinding that works with trading. This forces more people to play longer, and most of those are young kids (read: retards) that will think I spend XYZ time in this game and it was all for free, I need to support it with my parent's money.

This also feeds into the "lets skip normal content and do endgame only" problem. There is no fun to be had in normal content. You will not feel satisfied in getting good loot because you will either get 4L and half decent colors or decent rare with no sockets and colors you need and you will not want to waste currency on that shit that in other aRPGs you replace every 10 levels because useful stuff drops that you can use immediately.

For example I had most fun playing Diablo 2. Every loot drop was exciting throughout the game, if stats were good I could equip it. The end game items people later farmed in D2 were not required, that was just to optimize characters for those that felt they needed to. The rest (people like me) had same amount of time ignoring that shit. I cannot ignore that shit in PoE because chance of good rare or unique dropping with right colors and links every 10 levels for every body slot on my character is equal 0! ZERO! Zilch! Nada! Nothing!

How to fix this shit: (I had a huge topic on their forums back in the day before I quit POE because of 1. and 2.)
Short version is to make another character screen where you got your paper doll and your slots shown. New slots unlock as you level up. You can do 4S4L at lvl 40, 5S4L at lvl 50 5S5L at lvl 60, 6S5L at lvl 75 and 6S6L at lvl 90. So people that want to fucking grind go and have a goal to get to. When you access there levels all those slots on all available body parts unlock. It still takes into account what weapons you use, you can still have two setups you choose yourself. Chromatics, Fusions and Jewelers should be given another purpose that will not fuck the fun of loot hunt but still give something for those obsessed about optimizing their characters. Maybe each slot can be individually rolled with those orbs to give minor bonuses (something similar to how you can now roll individual map types with cartographer orbs) but they should never need players to roll individual colors, numbers or links.
#MAKELOOTFUNAGAIN

BTW, I like the current one shot meta of PoE. Since loot hunting it a chore and I get 99% of good items through poe.trade (shit design btw, I felt satisfied playing diablo 2 with SSF) one shotting mobs and clearing maps fast is only fun thing left in this game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I always had this problem with how loot and skill gems work, I got partially accustomed to it. But recently I started from lvl 1 together with a friend that plays 1st time and he immediately noticed/complained how you never get loot you can use.
He played Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 only.

abija

Prophet
Damned Registrations
I haven't played in a year or so but I doubt for a self found first time player and without any outside game information PoE is bellow average in difficulty.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Trust me, it's gotten a lot easier since back when I played as well. Was longer for me, but even just the last year included a lot of things that made the game simply easier. Maybe if you're self found and attack based and don't read the wiki... but that's a pretty low fucking bar. And even then you'd probably be fine this league tbh, because you'd be swimming in rares of whatever weapon you need with all the essence drops.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
For me PoE always had two big problems that prevented me from being best aRPG: 1. Desync and 2.Gem socket system on items.
1. This was fixed "recently" with introduction of lockstep system. Now I get delays here and there but I can actually trust that what I do in the game happens exactly.

2. This is still shit although it was made better with introduction of Vorici master.
Why is this a problem? Because you rarely get upgrades to your gear, especially when leveling through normal content. It is always oh I got good stats but sockets and colors are wrong. It just creates too much randomness in loot system. Diablo 2 has enough randomness in this, Grim Dawn has enough randomness (maybe even too much with so many different damage types and resists needed for them), Diablo 3 has too little. PoE is 3x worse than all of them.
Even when you are rich (which you accomplish through mindless grind) you will need to waste a lot of that to get good mods and good sockets and links and colors. And this shit is made like this on purpose to promote its online only features like trading and grinding that works with trading. This forces more people to play longer, and most of those are young kids (read: retards) that will think I spend XYZ time in this game and it was all for free, I need to support it with my parent's money.

This also feeds into the "lets skip normal content and do endgame only" problem. There is no fun to be had in normal content. You will not feel satisfied in getting good loot because you will either get 4L and half decent colors or decent rare with no sockets and colors you need and you will not want to waste currency on that shit that in other aRPGs you replace every 10 levels because useful stuff drops that you can use immediately.

For example I had most fun playing Diablo 2. Every loot drop was exciting throughout the game, if stats were good I could equip it. The end game items people later farmed in D2 were not required, that was just to optimize characters for those that felt they needed to. The rest (people like me) had same amount of time ignoring that shit. I cannot ignore that shit in PoE because chance of good rare or unique dropping with right colors and links every 10 levels for every body slot on my character is equal 0! ZERO! Zilch! Nada! Nothing!

How to fix this shit: (I had a huge topic on their forums back in the day before I quit POE because of 1. and 2.)
Short version is to make another character screen where you got your paper doll and your slots shown. New slots unlock as you level up. You can do 4S4L at lvl 40, 5S4L at lvl 50 5S5L at lvl 60, 6S5L at lvl 75 and 6S6L at lvl 90. So people that want to fucking grind go and have a goal to get to. When you access there levels all those slots on all available body parts unlock. It still takes into account what weapons you use, you can still have two setups you choose yourself. Chromatics, Fusions and Jewelers should be given another purpose that will not fuck the fun of loot hunt but still give something for those obsessed about optimizing their characters. Maybe each slot can be individually rolled with those orbs to give minor bonuses (something similar to how you can now roll individual map types with cartographer orbs) but they should never need players to roll individual colors, numbers or links.
#MAKELOOTFUNAGAIN

BTW, I like the current one shot meta of PoE. Since loot hunting it a chore and I get 99% of good items through poe.trade (shit design btw, I felt satisfied playing diablo 2 with SSF) one shotting mobs and clearing maps fast is only fun thing left in this game.

So, basically you would want the game to be easier for solo players that are not interested in trading?

deama

Prophet

#MAKELOOTFUNAGAIN

Yeah, after lvl 65 or so, I stopped picking up and identifiying anything because it was always useless and instead just saved the rare ones for that chaos orb recipe and bought stuff from poe.trade. I think your idea sounds better than what they have now.

Trust me, it's gotten a lot easier since back when I played as well. Was longer for me, but even just the last year included a lot of things that made the game simply easier. Maybe if you're self found and attack based and don't read the wiki... but that's a pretty low fucking bar. And even then you'd probably be fine this league tbh, because you'd be swimming in rares of whatever weapon you need with all the essence drops.
I sometimes get 1/2 shot by boss type mobs, it's not as easy I think; but maybe that's because I'm running an abyssus and am melee.

ArchAngel

Arcane

#MAKELOOTFUNAGAIN

So, basically you would want the game to be easier for solo players that are not interested in trading?
Please tell me how much trading is going on until you reach merciless? People usually buy 1c items to cap their resistances and get life up a bit once they reach merciless, new players and SSF ones do not.
It is a shitty system however you turn it.
They should come up with something better for the end game grinders(read: no-lifers) that does not affect the rest of us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom