Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 2 will be infected with Steam DRM

I havent bought a game in a decade.
I love Steam. Starforce was one hell of a hard drm to crack. Steam is a joke. Sheeple keep buying stuff that I pirate.

All hail Gabe!

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
JarlFrank said:
Blackadder said:
you can backup your game in case you're paranoid about Valve going bankrupt.

Back it up? How? So you can save it to disk, then reinstall it without the steam client business?

Nope, Steam "backup files" are basically just packed files that can be installed with the steam client, and you need to have the game activated on your account in order to install it.

So, yep, if steam goes belly-up, you can forget these backups...
That's when I use this tool.

Follow the instructions in the post, and you can unpack the contents of a Steam backup without needing Steam at all. Obviously, the game's executable will still have DRM (though some Steam games don't even have this), but you can crack them after the files are unpacked. There are also elegant solutions such as this, where you don't even need to replace the executable.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Clockwork Knight said:
Darth Roxor said:
It scares me that there are people so willing to get deprived of their rights.

More like, there are people that don't really care about giving up some rights they consider meaningless, like that of being sure they'll be able to install some game via CD twenty years later.

This. Seriously. Get some perspective, people. I know this is a forum about games but some of us don't take 'game ownership' as seriously as a heart attack. The amount I spend on games each year pales in comparison to the other hundred or so expenses and purchases I make. I would think some of you would be even less concerned given the fact you don't even pay for them.

JarlFrank said:
Yeah well I can also make an iso or just keep the game installed on my HDD for 20 years and it will always be usable. When steam goes down, you won't even be able to play a game you have installed on your HDD.

Twenty years from now I'll be fifty fucking four years old. Granted it's hard to project but I doubt the inability to replay Risen 2 will be high on my list of regrets. Even then I'm sure I can just torrent it somewhere and or rebuy it for $2 from some app store.

Its 1933 on a muggy evening in Germany.

Metro said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Darth Roxor said:
It scares me that there are people so willing to get deprived of their rights.

More like, there are people that don't really care about giving up some rights they consider meaningless, like that of being able to gather anywhere. Sure they'll be able to do it 20 years later but right now, they dont care.

This. Seriously. Get some perspective, people. I know this is a forum about politics but some of us don't take 'politics' as seriously as a heart attack. The influence this new law has on me pales in comparison to the other hundred or so laws and rules I have to obey. I would think some of you would be even less concerned given the fact you don't even gather at all.

Where can I get that perspective you try to sell? Have you bought one yourself yet? Cause the idealists certainly have the right one. You, on the other hand, wont see their perspective, meanwhile trying to justify your behavior somehow. Perspective...
Silent consumers like you are to be partially credited for DRM. As are the german people from back then for the killing of 30 mil soviets. :M

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS FOR WHAT I SPEND ON PC GAMES I COULD GIVE A FUCK

IF STEAM FUCKS ME OUT OF THE GAMES I BOUGHT I WONT BUY AN ENERGY DRINK A FEW TIMES A MONTH THEN I HAVE SAVED ENOUGH TO BUY THEM AGAIN AND A FEW MORE

SOME OF YOU FUCKS SHOULD UNDERSTAND THIS POINT OF VIEW MANY OF YOU SEEM TO THINK NEW SHIT IS SHIT AND WHY COMPLAIN CAUSE SHIT YOU DONT LIKE IS FILLED WITH SHIT TO MAKE YOU WANT IT LESWS

BROS LOLLOLLOL I COLD BE A CHEAP FUCK BUT SOMETIMES I CRINGE ON GETTING A STEAM GAME FOR OVER FIVE DOLLARS CAUSE I KNOW SHIT I MIGHT LIKE WILL BE THAT PRICE OR LESS SOON ELSEWHER OR ON STEAM

AND IF IT EVAPORATES I COULD NOT BUY THE INDIEFAG BEER I BOUGHT TONUGHT AND INSTEAD GUT A 40 OF MIKCEYS ICE AND BE A TRUE BRO

SEE I JUST DONT GIVE A FUCK CAUSE I WONT GET THE GODDAMN GAME TILL IT IS TEN DOLLARS ANYWAYS

Cassidy

Arcane
Of all legitimate games I bought, none had any kind of DRM forcing online activation, because I like it that way. Every business decisions have their pros and cons. I suppose the part of the Steam user base, added as new customers, will make up for those who, like me, won't ever buy games with forced Steam or other intrusive DRMs that punish people who pay for their games, except for blind sheeple who can't get it on how it is ultimately an inconvenience or for people who just get cheap games to play with BROS while drunk, I guess.

Because I like Pyranha Bytes, I hope they won't regret this decision. But I don't feel such a drive for playing Risen 2 to overlook that. In fact I don't even know if it'll actually be a good game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
BLOBERT said:
BROS FOR WHAT I SPEND ON PC GAMES I COULD GIVE A FUCK

BRO you're forgetting some Codexians live in a cardboard box (oddly enough with internet connections) -- that money can go towards a pot to pee in for indoor plumbing!

Renegen

Arcane
The Codex should know more than anyone that games that are 10, 20 years old are still playable. Being able to have the CD and to do with it what you please is infinitely better than relying on the publisher which at any moment could yank that cord out.

I don't like the Steam DRM, I would prefer that it didn't exist, but remember there used to be a time when everyone had copy protection questions, and then there was a time when everyone had cd keys. It's all a fad, and hopefully through continuous pressure the right approach is seletected. You can all go play your Paradox games now.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Metro said:
rebuy it for $2 from some app store.

No because it requires steam to install and run even with the boxed copy.

That's the problem I have with it. When I buy a boxed copy, I don't want the game to be reliant on any online services.

pocahaunted

Arcane
I might not care for the ability to resell games, but I do want to be able to play/install games offline whenever the fuck I please. Fuck off. Not to mention that having to install bullshit, resource hogging, software isn't something any smart person should aspire to, but hey, these are the same people spamming threads with "LOLOL STEAM IS AUSUM SO MANIES BUTTHURTS LOLOL4CHAN".

FatCat

Educated
pocahaunted said:
I might not care for the ability to resell games, but I do want to be able to play/install games offline whenever the fuck I please. Fuck off. Not to mention that having to install bullshit, resource hogging, software isn't something any smart person should aspire to, but hey, these are the same people spamming threads with "LOLOL STEAM IS AUSUM SO MANIES BUTTHURTS LOLOL4CHAN".

The only people spamming this thread are steam haters such as you , because they have nothing better to do than hate everything and be edgy all day long.Codex is like more intelligent brother of 4chan as everyone there hates steam as you do.Internet is everywhere except some villages or wilderness , you can play games offline with steam after you activate them.Of course it may be slightly inconvenient but on a bright side you can install game on any computer wherever you are , carrying bag full of cd's dvd's may be not so comfortable.Also if you truly believe that steam hogs resources enough to hinder performance of modern PC , i feel sorry for you :lol:

There is not much choice for DRM , almost every single DRM system today requires online activation as it is most effective measure to prevent early game leaks and Steam is least intrusive DRM of them all.I prefer to have 1 DRM for all of my games , instead of gangraping my PC with different kind of retail shit that works like rootkits.

Steam has it's downsides , but in the end pro's outweigh con's .

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Like being raped tastefully then?

I never installed a game with a copy protection that phones home, and never will. If i have to quit gaming, that's ok.

pocahaunted

Arcane
FatCat said:
pocahaunted said:

The only people spamming this thread are steam haters such as you , because they have nothing better to do than hate everything and be edgy all day long.Codex is like more intelligent brother of 4chan as everyone there hates steam as you do.Internet is everywhere except some villages or wilderness , you can play games offline with steam after you activate them.Of course it may be slightly inconvenient but on a bright side you can install game on any computer wherever you are , carrying bag full of cd's dvd's may be not so comfortable.Also if you truly believe that steam hogs resources enough to hinder performance of modern PC , i feel sorry for you :lol:

There is not much choice for DRM , almost every single DRM system today requires online activation as it is most effective measure to prevent early game leaks and Steam is least intrusive DRM of them all.I prefer to have 1 DRM for all of my games , instead of gangraping my PC with different kind of retail shit that works like rootkits.

Yeah, my totally coherent singular post in a 5 page long thread is spamming - are you daft? You bloody moron, every software uses resources, not to mention that steam is actually a perfect example of poor optimization. Why are you even trying to act witty and "feeling sorry for me" when its pretty obvious that you can't even use your fucking cephalus.

Shut the fuck up, what would drive someone to even become such a rabid fanboy? How disgusting. You somehow think that its better to have Steam than rootkits. Guess what you blithering idiot, I'd rather have none.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
FatCat said:
Of course it may be slightly inconvenient but on a bright side you can install game on any computer wherever you are , carrying bag full of cd's dvd's may be not so comfortable

One word: isos.

Also if you truly believe that steam hogs resources enough to hinder performance of modern PC , i feel sorry for you

Sometimes I want to play stuff on my netbook, and while I'm somewhere without internet. Netbooks don't have too good hardware and there the, say, 20.000k to 30.000k memory that steam takes might be of relevance.

How about "no DRM" like Witcher 2 did, and it didn't hurt sales at all because hey, even Steam games are cracked on day one, or at the very max week one. Sorry, there is no "effective" DRM, except for that horrible shit Ubisoft used for a couple of their games like AC2 and SH5, but even those got cracked after some months and now it's just as ineffective as all the others because the crackers know how to do it.

FatCat

Educated
pocahaunted said:
FatCat said:
pocahaunted said:

Yeah, my totally coherent singular post in a 5 page long thread is spamming - are you daft? You bloody moron, every software uses resources, not to mention that steam is actually a perfect example of poor optimization. Why are you even trying to act witty and "feeling sorry for me" when its pretty obvious that you can't even use your fucking cephalus.

Shut the fuck up, what would drive someone to even become such a rabid fanboy? How disgusting. You somehow think that its better to have Steam than rootkits. Guess what you blithering idiot, I'd rather have none.

Very "coherent" post 0 valid arguments , just pouring insults like retarded or overly aggressive junky .
Where have i said that steam doesn't use resources ?
Why am i fanboy ? Because i don't go "HERP DERP STEAM IS SHIT BLUBBLUB I AM SUCH AN EDGY CODEXER" route ? I said Steam has it's downsides , but all the hate arguments it gets are completely exaggerated and ridiculed.

JarlFrank said:
FatCat said:
Of course it may be slightly inconvenient but on a bright side you can install game on any computer wherever you are , carrying bag full of cd's dvd's may be not so comfortable

One word: isos.

Also if you truly believe that steam hogs resources enough to hinder performance of modern PC , i feel sorry for you

Sometimes I want to play stuff on my netbook, and while I'm somewhere without internet. Netbooks don't have too good hardware and there the, say, 20.000k to 30.000k memory that steam takes might be of relevance.

How about "no DRM" like Witcher 2 did, and it didn't hurt sales at all because hey, even Steam games are cracked on day one, or at the very max week one. Sorry, there is no "effective" DRM, except for that horrible shit Ubisoft used for a couple of their games like AC2 and SH5, but even those got cracked after some months and now it's just as ineffective as all the others because the crackers know how to do it.

Ok i agree with isos.

I just checked idle Steam eats 8.000-9.000k of ram and about 20.000k to 30.000k loaded as you said , but considering that most gaming machines have 4gb of ram on average and rare PC uses less than 1 gb of ram nowdays.It is ridiculous to state that Steam hinders performance in any noticeable way.

Ok fine no DRM is cool , but CD-projeckt is one of a kind developer.They have rare luxury of being independent studio , a rare luxury indeed.It is very unlikely that many will fallow "no-DRM" route , if any at all.
Yes i agree there is no effective DRM , but one thing DRM can do is stop game from leaking before it's release date.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom