Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen factions

Nim

Augur
Also there is a ring for it, likewise for sneak. I wonder who had that bright idea. Put situational skill in game and then add item that gives it and can be gotten really early :roll:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It almost feels like the ring was pit in at the last minute, without much thought given to it.

It's handy for like 1 quest however.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I just thought it was flat out terrible design to put in an item that grants you an ability that would otherwise cost 10 (or maybe it's 5) learning points.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
But if you don't use this ring, you will most likely use another one, which will also increase something you'd have to pay skill points for (like Axe or Sword). What's the big deal?

Saxon1974

Prophet
THanks for the feedback Bros :salute:

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to choose a path that would restrict me from playing the way I wanted later on.

I think I will just keep playing and eventually decide which faction I want to join (But hold out as long as I can).

It does seem like the Inquisition are more Douche-baggy then the Bandits.

Really liking this game. I tend to like open world exploration RPG's and even thought the world is set on a rather small Island there is still alot to see and do. I am finding little nooks here and there with treasure to dig up and stuff so exploration is pretty fun. I normally think "The bigger the world the better" but this game is challenging that...maybe a smaller more interesting world is better than a big empty one.

Also, the voice overs are actually decent in this game which is shocking since they usually suck to high hell.

Seems pretty decently balanced and I actually like the combat in this game which I didnt think was possible in a modern day ARPG.

I guess only complaint now is I would like some books that are readable for world lore etc....but thats a small nickpick anyway.

Sure hope Risen 2 is good now after playing this one.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just keep playing Saxon1974. It's a really good game....

Just be prepared for the later chapters.... But who knows. You might enjoy them.

Coyote

Arcane
Elwro said:
But if you don't use this ring, you will most likely use another one, which will also increase something you'd have to pay skill points for (like Axe or Sword). What's the big deal?

The main problem with the sneaking and acrobatics rings is that they make investing in the skills pointless. Whereas you'll always get some mileage out of training strength a few more points or investing in the weapon skills unless you've maxed them out, sneaking and acrobatics are one-shot skills - either you have them or you don't - that are useful in a very limited subset of situations, and you can always, for instance, just put on the sneaking ring when you want to sneak and switch it out afterwards. Additionally, while strength/weapon skill rings help in combat, there are other rings that provide bonuses that also help in combat in ways that you can't replicate by spending any amount of LP (specifically, the ones that boost your weapon and magic resistances). So even if your axe-fighting skill is at 9 and you have a ring that bumps it up to 10, there's still some incentive to train axe-fighting one more level and free up a ring slot.

The only exception I can think of is if you're in the habit of sneaking up on sleeping enemies to get a few free shots. But for me, at least, the primary use of sneaking in the game is to steal things from huts and houses without alerting the guards.

Elwro

Arcane
Coyote said:
So even if your axe-fighting skill is at 9 and you have a ring that bumps it up to 10, there's still some incentive to train axe-fighting one more level and free up a ring slot.
I see your point about resistances, but notice that this one can be turned around: there is similar incentive for training in acrobatics and freeing a slot for your +1 Axe ring. (In fact, this is what I did in my playthrough, I think (using swords).)

Nim

Augur
Elwro, you're right that training acrobatics and wearing a +1 Axe ring is more LP efficient than the other way round. Doesn't matter though because as coyote already said those resistance rings can't be substituted. There isn't really a choice between wearing a +1 Axe ring and a +8 resistances ring, the resistances win every time.

While we're discussing acrobatics does anyone remember any actual points in the game where it was needed or really useful ? I can't really come up with anything atm.

Elwro

Arcane
Nim said:
There isn't really a choice between wearing a +1 Axe ring and a +8 resistances ring, the resistances win every time.
I'd disagree. In case of melee skills, that measly +1 might be a qualitative difference, namely, it might allow you to perform a new movement in combat! This was what happened in my case with the sword skill; I'm not sure whether it was the counterattacking or something else, but one +1 increase changed the game from very hard to medium for me :D

Nim

Augur
that measly +1 might be a qualitative difference
For a short time till you get the LPs to skill it naturally. It's not as if we're starving for LPs in Risen would you agree ?

Elwro

Arcane
Nim said:
that measly +1 might be a qualitative difference
For a short time till you get the LPs to skill it naturally. It's not as if we're starving for LPs in Risen would you agree ?
Well, I really did hit this problem. I guess that due to my own incompetence I was struggling with all combat encounters I could find, and it took me a very long time to finally get these few LPs to increase the sword skill... after which I found that all these encounters were maybe not very easy, but definitely doable. If I had the +1 ring by then this would've made a big differrence...

Nim

Augur
Point taken. Sword level 7 I presume ? That power attack does indeed make things quite a bit easier.

Elwro

Arcane
Nim said:
Point taken. Sword level 7 I presume ? That power attack does indeed make things quite a bit easier.
Yup, I think that was it!

Risen is a good example of exploration done right, even (or, I guess, because) the island isn't so big. It's nice to discover all these hidden connections...

epikitscheesy

Liturgist
Concerning the swords skill:
I never raise it beyond lvl 8, because on lvl 9, you automatically wield two-handed swords with one hand, which hurts my brain quite a bit.
It's not that historical th-swords were too heavy for one hand: contrary to common conception, those seldom weighed more than 2-3 Kilos, whereas in the game, weapons are, of course, too clumsy.
The crucial point is that th swords just aren't build to be wielded with one hand.

The same happens with axes at lvl 6, but axes are top-heavy cleaving weapons, so it's not as big a deal.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Raghar said:
When you are mage you have too few LP.

How so? You don't have to spend points on increasing mana at all. 60-70ish tops is more than enough. The nukes never increase in cost and using rune magic versus scrolls is utterly pointless.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You can't have all crystal magic, and you need alchemy. If you are roleplaying, mage is LP starved.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Raghar said:
You can't have all crystal magic, and you need alchemy. If you are roleplaying, mage is LP starved.

Why would you get all crystal magic anyway? Maybe a couple points in frost to kite stuff but just maxing either fireball or magic bullet is enough to get through the game. And you don't really need alchemy. More than enough potions to buy to replenish your mana after packs of enemies. Not sure what 'roleplaying' has to do with it. Seems to me the mages in-game are specialized, at least, each school/nuke is taught by a different mage. So, there's your 'roleplaying' you can't master all of the nukes.

Coyote

Arcane
Elwro said:
Coyote said:
So even if your axe-fighting skill is at 9 and you have a ring that bumps it up to 10, there's still some incentive to train axe-fighting one more level and free up a ring slot.
I see your point about resistances, but notice that this one can be turned around: there is similar incentive for training in acrobatics and freeing a slot for your +1 Axe ring. (In fact, this is what I did in my playthrough, I think (using swords).)

Well, I personally found acrobatics even more limited in terms of situations where it was needed than sneaking, so I'd disagree here. As I stated, one of the things that makes the other rings less problematic IMO is that there are other rings that come in handy in the same situation where you'd want to use them, so you still had an incentive to train the skill to the highest level to free up ring slots. The only time I ever could have used acrobatics was if I wanted to get somewhere quickly and maybe once or twice when exploring areas near cliffs with dense undergrowth, so I never had to make a choice between wearing the acrobatics ring and a weapon skill ring since I could just switch them out as necessary.

(It also doesn't help that, unlike sneaking, you're likely to find an acrobatics ring before you even get a chance to train the skill.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom