Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen next-gen rerelease

Also warns that unofficial patches and mods aren't compatible with the new version because the devs implemented some of the quest fixed themselves and that changed the script files.

If quest fixes are already implemented then it's fine. Vurt's vegetation textures mod is working, and those are the only mods I ever used for this. One annoyance though - changing quicksave button to F5 no longer works, so it seems i'll be stuck using F8 like a faggot. It definitely worked before the patch. Also the sound volume is really low, I don't remember if it was like this before.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
https://www.pcgamer.com/after-14-years-risen-is-backi-decided-to-find-out-why/

The PC update will feature some gameplay fixes, gamepad controls/UI and achievements... as well as perfect compatibility with modern hardware (including Steam Deck) by using a DirectX 11 and 64bit technical architecture.

Great, so I won't be able to force SGSSAA on it anymore, which made such a massive difference on all the foliage it's not even funny. Thanks a lot PB.
Ok, I was wrong. SGSSAA still works fine, with compatibility flag in Nvidia Inspector put under "Antialiasing compatibility", not even "Antialiasing compatibility (DX1x)" (where it never works anyway from my experience). So it must be not real DX11 it's running.

I wonder though if it's safe to use the unofficial patch now without it breaking anything.

this guy claims that it's still a DX9 game. Also warns that unofficial patches and mods aren't compatible with the new version because the devs implemented some of the quest fixed themselves and that changed the script fix.
Seems like they botched every aspect of what should've been an easy win. Shame.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Game doesn't even start lol. Getting a black screen and some missing resources message.

Boyee they fucked it up.

P.S.: So if anyone has the same problem: Seems you have to launch it first from the Steam app, then your desktop shortcut miraculously starts working too. Jesus.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Game runs as fine as it always did for me, but it's really hard to notice any changes from minute to minute gameplay's perspective.

I count three:

1. Press A to star popup when the game boots :lol:
2. All the sfx got super low.
3. Achievements!!!

So, uh, yeah. But the game itself is as good as I remember it so thanks for urging me to play again.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
did they update gog version too?
Yes they've updated it, I installed this new version and I'm getting the message "The program can't start because XINPUT1_4.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"

I'm not sure if this is a windows issue but if anyone runs W7 make a back up of the old version before you do anything. We're talking about the GOG retards here.

Salvo

Arcane
I still have a Risen hat from Lucca Comics 2009, might reboot this old gem

I did have the sound issue. There's a temporary issue that requires you fiddling around with some files. The steam mods are aware of it at the very least. My game did start normally though, it's the sound + overly long loading times that's the issue. If you have it on GOG you should be able to roll back though, right?

I did have the sound issue. There's a temporary issue that requires you fiddling around with some files.

What fiddling with what files? Care to share a link to a fix? Because I can't find anything on it.
1) if you don't like messing with files: right click speaker icon in Windows task bar > Open Volume Mixer > readjust dial for Risen

2) If you do like messing with files:
Edit %LOCALAPPDATA%\Risen\ConfigUser.xml as follows:
<Audio
UseHardwareSounds="true"
>
<Volume
Master="765"
>
</Volume>
</Audio>
As seen in the Steam forums for the game. This is a mod post btw.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
did they update gog version too?
Yes they've updated it, I installed this new version and I'm getting the message "The program can't start because XINPUT1_4.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"
Well this patch is meant to make this game better suited to modern HW and Winz 10 so I guess you don't really need it if you're still using some old typewriter with Winz 7.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Well this patch is meant to make this game better suited to modern HW and Winz 10 so I guess you don't really need it if you're still using some old typewriter with Winz 7.
A 4 core processor 3.30GHz with 16GB memory and 1060GTX is not exactly a "typewriter" pal, I can still play almost anything. What's the point to make a 2009 game run only on W10? The game is still the same, it's not a fucking DirectX12 remake.

Anyway, if that's the case then the GOG retards should've added a patch note that the game "fix" will not run on W7 anymore.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
A 4 core processor 3.30GHz with 16GB memory and 1060GTX is not exactly a "typewriter" pal, I can still play almost anything. What's the point to make a 2009 game run only on W10?
I played this game 4-5 years ago on Winz 10 without any problems, no idea what this update actually does.

A quick googling reveals xipnut_4.dll is exclusive to Win10 tho so there's that.

I think Galaxy gives you the ability to manually roll back patches, so you should be able to do that. It's how people managed to play the old version of Saints Row IV.

sosmoflux

Educated
I can't believe they didn't fix the camera going super fast after you pickup objects lol.

Also damn that main menu screen is shockingly bad, could've fixed that easily too.

Good game with a decent setting, only at the end does it get tedious and the final fight is pure nonsense with the platforms, especially for a pb rpg.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Tried to test Risen Extended with the new version.
Turns out it does not work at all. And the new version doesn't even launch on Win7 64bit.

Guess I'll have to dust off old retail box, apply latest patch and try it again. But that's after beating Chronicles of Myrtana.

Villagkouras

Arcane
If the game doesn't launch or stays at black screen, just run from desktop shortcut, quit and then it would run without problem via Steam.

I'm very glad I can play this with my controller. This is exactly the kind of patches I want for games like this. Some improvements for modern computers and monitors, controller support and some QoL fixes. Who needs a remake?

I wish they did this for the Gothic series. Just controller support and I'd be very happy.

I got the black screen at startup once, the game was just loading. I don't have that problem now. However, loading a save made the game crash once. The audio bit is obnoxious but alt tabbing to fix it in the audio mixer works just fine. Apparently the devs are taking note of bug reports so it would be better to contact them directly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom