Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm playing it right now and enjoying it, although in chapter two it's obvious that the faction interactions and interesting sidequests have given the place to exploration and dungeon crawling. I preferred the first chapter but the gameworld as usual is so well crafted by PB, that it's still fun.

Anyway, are there any good 1-handed swords in chapter2 ? I'm using them with shields and the only decent 1-h weapon I've found so far is a warmace.

ghostdog said:
Anyway, are there any good 1-handed swords in chapter2 ? I'm using them with shields and the only decent 1-h weapon I've found so far is a warmace.

When you increase your sword fighting skill, eventually you only need one hand to use two handed swords, thus allowing you to use shield with them. That's when you become quite powerful.

I heard it looks goofy, though. not that it matters, but...

cloud_strife_final_fantasy_vii.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Multidirectional said:
ghostdog said:

When you increase your sword fighting skill, eventually you only need one hand to use two handed swords, thus allowing you to use shield with them. That's when you become quite powerful.

Ahh... so I'll eventually get to use that nice demon sword I found with a shield... nice.

Clockwork Knight said:
I heard it looks goofy, though. not that it matters, but...

Well at least it's not like monkey grip in nwn2 where you can dual wield two claymores.

Also :

berserk-009.jpg

Murk

Arcane
ghostdog said:
I'm playing it right now and enjoying it, although in chapter two it's obvious that the faction interactions and interesting sidequests have given the place to exploration and dungeon crawling. I preferred the first chapter but the gameworld as usual is so well crafted by PB, that it's still fun.

new weapons become increasingly available throughout the game. One of the better swords is forged by the player utilizing obsidian, there are of course better swords to be found than that, but its still quite good.

Strong axes can be purchased early on, and some special ones can be found in dungeons as well.

Staves are a very tragic weapon that I believe the developers underestimated the importance of when playing as a mage/warrior of the order. Magic isn't TOO viable by itself, though a magic + melee combo works. I almost regret putting points into staff fighting this play through, but I shall persevere! !

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Mikayel said:
Staves are a very tragic weapon that I believe the developers underestimated the importance of when playing as a mage/warrior of the order. Magic isn't TOO viable by itself, though a magic + melee combo works. I almost regret putting points into staff fighting this play through, but I shall persevere! !

Staves are fucking awesome when it comes to crowd control and keeping stuff at bay.

BUT, all the three melee weapons put together are laughably weak when compared to a bow. During the last playthrough, I maxed bow usage and had like 7-8? in sword fighting. I barely ever had to engage in melee, if I had a long enough corridor, I could shoot down 5 lizardmen warriors rushing at me, thanks to the fact that at the highest level the bow fires lightning fast + headshots do additional damage. I also barely ever had to use healing potions or reload, while the first playthrough using pure melee spawned much rage in some places.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
So you did play it more than once. I did like the game, but I fear the lack of some sort of replayability. First chapter seems like the only part I would like to play again with a different character. i'd be happy to be proved wrong though.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ogg said:
So you did play it more than once. I did like the game, but I fear the lack of some sort of replayability. First chapter seems like the only part I would like to play again with a different character. i'd be happy to be proved wrong though.

I feared that would be the case too, but using a completely different set of weapons sure adds a lot of replayability. Playing a character using pretty much only a bow was a very different experience than playing a character with only a staff.

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah, I started playing again as a mage and doing all their quests makes the game new again.

wader2k

Novice
Azael said:
Ranged seems a lot weaker than in previous games, might just be my memory playing tricks on me though. Still, crossbows probably are better due to higher damage and being strength reliant, meaning that they are a better back-up choice for a melee fighter. A pure ranged fighter build doesn't seem viable.

say it ain't so!

i love my archers!

Murk

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Staves are fucking awesome when it comes to crowd control and keeping stuff at bay.

Maybe my staff skill isn't high enough (8 right now) but my attacks seem slower than sword attacks and the area they cover isn't much more than a 2 handed sword.

BUT, all the three melee weapons put together are laughably weak when compared to a bow. During the last playthrough, I maxed bow usage and had like 7-8? in sword fighting. I barely ever had to engage in melee, if I had a long enough corridor, I could shoot down 5 lizardmen warriors rushing at me, thanks to the fact that at the highest level the bow fires lightning fast + headshots do additional damage. I also barely ever had to use healing potions or reload, while the first playthrough using pure melee spawned much rage in some places.

I was really curious how archery works past the "use it to pull enemies" point, but I seem to have been infected with the addiction of H&H to experiment.

I must say tho my level 5 frost freezes enemies for quite a while, giving me plenty of time to circle around their back and melee it up.

Svartberg

Ballistic Interactive
Developer
Darth Roxor said:
Just finished this, and there's one thing I have to say: One of the most anticlimatic bossfights ever. Seriously, this is up there with the confrontation with Shodan in System Shock 2.

so very true.
this game was awesome, but the very final bossfight was nothing short of dissapointing.

oh well the game was great, I will replay it as a mage sometime ...

Just my thoughts on this game, which I'm enjoying very much ATM:

>Sounds like a gay sex simulator with all the grunting in combat, so I'm forced to play with headphones or risk increasing the rift between my roommate and myself

>The nameless hero looks very much like Michael Scofield from the TV show Prison Break

>Why the fuck can't I form an in-game relationship with Patty? I mean a did a shit ton of quests for her and she seems to be at a literal loss for words once the Romanov quest line is over

>John Rhys Davies does a kickass job as Don Esteban, and the rest of the voice work is stellar as well, in comparison to the majority of recent RPG's I've played

>I wish PB would have have implemented a more in-depth skill tree and a wider array of talents

>I've read alot of negative remarks in regards to the combat system, which is damn near perfect IMO, aside from the sketchy auto-targeting system... Furthermore, I prefer real time combat in these types of games, as opposed to The Witcher's MMO-like system

>Thank you PB for releasing this gem before the Gothic franchise gets raped with the release of Arcania

wader2k

Novice
I was split between getting this and DA:O.....Risen finally won out. The fact that Risen had a demo AND DA:O's website was a bloody MESS tipped the scales to Risen.

I was surprised to find a bow in the demo area that I didn't find when playing the demo...I think I liked Gothic 3's handling of bows better so far, but we'll see.

Anyway, just wanted to bump this as there seems to be WAY to many DA:O threads on the first page!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
wader2k said:
Anyway, just wanted to bump this as there seems to be WAY to many DA:O threads on the first page!

The fact that this thread has mere 17 pages, while 'DA impressions' is currently rollin' on with the 71st is decline inc. :smugcodex:

dragonfk

Erudite
I'd say it's rather an incline. DA:O is a much better game than Risen. Shame that your Bioware prejudice forbids you to be impartial on this matter.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Butthurt detected :smugcodex:

Actually, I already have DA:O on my HDD and I'll be playing it in the near future.

Grifthin

Educated
I bought Risen about 2 weeks before DA:O pre-order arrived. That was a mistake. Now don't get me wrong, Risen Looks excellent - but I didn't really enjoy it. I played for about 6 hours (not enough, I know) and it failed to draw me in. What I did Like:

The Exploration - combined with spells. Being able to shape change, levitate stuff etc made exploring alot of fun.
The enviroment. - the jungle was lush, and I loved running around.
Combat felt akward.
Setting looks intriguing.

I'll probably play it this december when I get time off work and I've satisfied my DA addiction. Untill then I think DA is a better game, but risen might just impress me more when i give it some love. I'll revise my opinion then.

dragonfk

Erudite
Darth Roxor said:
Butthurt detected :smugcodex:

Actually, I already have DA:O on my HDD and I'll be playing it in the near future.

Thats says a lot about your integrity :smugcodex:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Clockwork Knight said:
Darth Roxor said:

Legally bought, of course.

I'm not buying a pig in a poke, moralfag :smugcodex:

Thats says a lot about your integrity

At least I'll try it, so I can continue throwing mud at it :smugcodex:

wader2k

Novice
dragonfk said:
I'd say it's rather an incline. DA:O is a much better game than Risen. Shame that your Bioware prejudice forbids you to be impartial on this matter.

no bias.

Let them put out a demo so I can see how it runs and I'll give it an honest go. The official DA:O website didn't do much to sway me, that's for sure.

Felix

Arcane
Risen is far better than Gothic 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom