Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roguelikes!

Lemunde

Scholar
I've given them a chance but I just can't get into most of them except for Dwarf Fortress and even then I use a heavily modified graphics set.

Zomg

Arbiter
Angband is objectively bad, fuck you all. Farming and then mix-and-matching ego items and artifacts to cover all of the 20 different absolutely necessary resistances is the entirety of the game.

Geofferic

Educated
Zomg said:
Angband is objectively bad, fuck you all. Farming and then mix-and-matching ego items and artifacts to cover all of the 20 different absolutely necessary resistances is the entirety of the game.

Your complete lack of 'know-what-yer-talking-about' is stunning. How about, fuck only you?

Just realized that a new version of DoomRL just came out like a week and half ago, with a ton of new shizzle, my nizzles.

http://doom.chaosforge.org/

Check it out if yer at all interested in the concept!

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Zomg said:

Someone got toasted by dragon breath a few too many times. :lol:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Incursion
Has some design problems and becomes unplayable for me in large battles past dungeon level 6 but was the only one I liked and stuck with.
Development isn't dead. He just takes very long.

Zomg

Arbiter
Let me write an Angband FAQ that will let anyone beat the game on every play:

Always have X_N resistance before going beneath Y_N dungeon level. Repeat N times.
If you ever detect anything interesting happening, go back to a shallower dungeon level and grind instead.

Geofferic

Educated
Zomg said:
Let me write an Angband FAQ that will let anyone beat the game on every play:

Always have X_N resistance before going beneath Y_N dungeon level. Repeat N times.
If you ever detect anything interesting happening, go back to a shallower dungeon level and grind instead.

Maybe you should avoid games, since they aren't as exciting as your imagination?

This is the case for all normal human beings, but most of us can suspend disbelief for the sake of entertainment.

You should also avoid television, books and movies. Actually, I think the rest of us would appreciate it if you avoided people, too.

Stabwound

Arcane
Shannow said:
Incursion
Has some design problems and becomes unplayable for me in large battles past dungeon level 6 but was the only one I liked and stuck with.
Development isn't dead. He just takes very long.
If I'm not mistaken, the most recently released version is not even in a playable state. It'll be a while before you can actually really 'play' it, I think.

dragonfk

Erudite
I think BLOBERT really deserves a 'dumbfuck' title. Why didn't he get one yet?

Nael

Arcane
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Rogue since apparently you like things that are Roguelike? I don't get it...

Stabwound

Arcane
Because although Rogue is the original game that started it all, it's not really all that fun to play.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Not for you but I definitely have a lot of fun firing it up once in a while and see how far my misadventures will carry me.

Castanova

Prophet
Will someone ever release a new roguelike that's as popular as NetHack or ADOM? It seems like it's impossible. Those games took years to build up and we don't have anything right now that appears to even be a good start. I don't count DF because it's not a dungeon crawler.

Korgan

Arbiter
dragonfk said:
I think BLOBERT really deserves a 'dumbfuck' title. Why didn't he get one yet?
Because he's an excellent poster.
Also, everyone, and I mean everyone, should give Transcendence a spin. It's like Space Rangers with SC2 combat. Just great. Quite atmospheric, too.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
So, anyone experienced with Crawl/Stone Soup who are willing to give me a few pointers? I've played ADOM a bunch of times, but lately I've mostly played DoomRL which is fun and easy to get into and a game I don't mind dying over and over again in. Dungeon Crawl looks like an OK game, but can't really get into it. Tried playing a bit with a Troll Berserker which was my best attempt so far. So, good and fun race/class combinations and other general tips and pointers?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Castanova said:
Will someone ever release a new roguelike that's as popular as NetHack or ADOM? It seems like it's impossible. Those games took years to build up and we don't have anything right now that appears to even be a good start. I don't count DF because it's not a dungeon crawler.

If ToME 3.0 ever gets done it could be the platform for such a thing. (Edit: Probably nobody will bother, but if you check out the Dragonball-T module (I know, horrid background to write a game over) the guy who made it actually put in a lot of cool stuff, skill training makes use of trainers, some of which are more effective than others in certain areas, for example, kickboxing and sumo style can both raise your strength, but sumo uses fewer skill points per point of strength, and the schools are exclusive. Another cool thing are various quests with multiple means of finishing them, and exclusive quests that aren't compatible with other quest lines. Factions are also implemented simply, so murdering a student from a particular teacher will make that teacher hostile if you run into him later on) It's being designed as basically a good platform to write roguelikes on top of and while I couldn't program my way out of something really easy to program out of, from the veariety of modules I've seen pop up for the thing in short time frames, it seems likely to me that eventually someone will spend more than a few weekends at the task and make something really fucking awesome. I'd love to see a roguelike made with a focus on non combat skills used in a a way similar to Fallout and the like, and it'd be perfectly possible to do in ToME's engine. I've been tempted to teach myself enough scripting to make something for it myself, but the unfinished bits of the new engine keep putting me off.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, development of the thing seems to have been stalled for at least the last 2 years, and the wiki has been completely overrun by bots for about that long- ever since they 'upgraded' it to a new format.

Actually a quick google search revealed the remaining developers hiding out on a message board. Although there still isn't much being done it seems. The owner of ToME got married and basically hasn't so much as said hello to the others since then from what I can tell.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Azael said:
So, anyone experienced with Crawl/Stone Soup who are willing to give me a few pointers? I've played ADOM a bunch of times, but lately I've mostly played DoomRL which is fun and easy to get into and a game I don't mind dying over and over again in. Dungeon Crawl looks like an OK game, but can't really get into it. Tried playing a bit with a Troll Berserker which was my best attempt so far. So, good and fun race/class combinations and other general tips and pointers?

Troll berserker is good early game bad later, especially when you hit levels filled with undead/demons and hunger becomes a problem.

Some tips: combine weak races with strong classes for a good start, examples include demonspawn (weak start but mutations can get incredible) with berserker (starting with a god means few bonus abilities before you even reach ecumenical temple, berserk is very op early game) or spriggan with berserker (yes, it makes sense if you dont abuse berserk). Trog early is easy mode, after that, when you get powerful enough you can drop him for a late game god.

Gods:
Trog early,
Okawaru for a full artifact gear,
Shining One late for full negative protection for free/bonus to hit/detect invi/heal from killing demons and undead,
Lugonu getoutofabyss free card/banish hard opponents/corrupt level and watch mobs kill each other,
Makhleb for insane summons and good damage abilities (excellent with any race good with invocations, possible best late game god),
for casters its Sif Muna if you dont trust your luck to get amnesia spell or Vehumet if you do,
other gods mostly suck, don't ever, ever pick healing one and that food fag.

Races:
Minotaur/Dwarf fighters only,
Demonspawn possibly the best race but random, hard start,
Humans are made for paladins,
Deep Elf as a mage, the rest of elves suck,
All undead races are v. powerful but hard to start with (because of undead bonuses: cold/poison resist, negative resist, ghoul fighters/mummy casters, vampires dunno but when dry they get undead bonuses).

Fun combos:
Spriggan berserker (imagine cat on a hot frying pan),
Dwarf berseker (my first victory, straight mellee),
Dwarf paladin (2 victory, starts shining later when you don't have to rely on luck to get resists),
Demonspawn fighter of Okawaru,
Demonspawn chaos knight of Makhleb (ignore spellcasting only pump invocations),
Deep Elf caster,
Deep Elf transmuter,
Mummy necromancer (grind grind grind).

DONT. EVER. WEAR. LIGHT ARMOR.
DONT PLAY CASTERS IF YOU SUCK. Or don't have patience.
ALWAYS train mellee. As a mage you will kill this way many enemies. And somehow your hp depends on fighting skill.

Castanova

Prophet
roll-a-die said:
Crawl Castanova.

I have trouble buying that. Disclaimer that will be used by someone to make me look silly: I haven't played Crawl passed like DLVL 7 or so. But, in those first 7 levels, Crawl seems to have like 10% of the personality that NetHack and ADOM have. The potions/scrolls are very generic and there seem to be only a few varieties of each. Dungeons seem to have nothing special going on with them, just big spaces with random walls everywhere. NetHack and ADOM have unique little interactive things around like fountains, altars, stores, sinks, tension rooms, etc etc. Crawl seems to have less enemy variety too and the variance on enemy difficulty seems off - 99% of the enemies I meet are ridiculously easy to button mash through as long as you fight in a corridor and then you meet a single monster who spell-casts or shoots an arrow at you from the distance and you're one-shotted.

ADOM and NetHack just seem have so many more details and more depth. I get that people argue that Crawl's "system" is better and more fun but I don't see it. Spoilers I've read about Crawl do nothing to disprove this for me so I've never bothered learning the game better.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Castanova said:
roll-a-die said:
Crawl Castanova.

I have trouble buying that. Disclaimer that will be used by someone to make me look silly: I haven't played Crawl passed like DLVL 7 or so. But, in those first 7 levels, Crawl seems to have like 10% of the personality that NetHack and ADOM have. The potions/scrolls are very generic and there seem to be only a few varieties of each. Dungeons seem to have nothing special going on with them, just big spaces with random walls everywhere. NetHack and ADOM have unique little interactive things around like fountains, altars, stores, sinks, tension rooms, etc etc. Crawl seems to have less enemy variety too and the variance on enemy difficulty seems off - 99% of the enemies I meet are ridiculously easy to button mash through as long as you fight in a corridor and then you meet a single monster who spell-casts or shoots an arrow at you from the distance and you're one-shotted.

ADOM and NetHack just seem have so many more details and more depth. I get that people argue that Crawl's "system" is better and more fun but I don't see it. Spoilers I've read about Crawl do nothing to disprove this for me so I've never bothered learning the game better.

It's all WAD. You don't have to read spoilers to play Crawl (unlike Nethack) and you wont be buried under tons of stuff you can get/do (like in ADoM). It's simple dungeon dive. Everything is streamlined. Crawl main motto is: easy to play, hard to master.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I loved ADOM. I played it a lot for several years. 1998-2005, I think.

Now I'm trying to play Incursion. It seems to be a very ambitious game. I love the colours and dungeon descriptions.
I think that roguelikes have a lot of untapped potential.

It would be nice to see a game that would combine complexity, partial randomness and "graphics" of roguelikes with Fallout-style dialogues and quests.

reaven

Educated
Dungeon crawl stone soup, Adom, Incursion, Ivan its fun too, but I haven't spend a lot of time with it. I love doomrl too, its great for quick playthroughs. i have tried most of the roguelikes I come across but these one are my favs. Personally never could get into nethack.
Once I get a little better programming I will start making my own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom