Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Romancing the RPG: What game did you miss out on?

Nael

Arcane
I figured with all of the attention romance (DA2) is getting around here my topic title might get noticed more. Plus we're coming up on a holiday I'm sure so many of you will remember: Valentine's Day. So wipe that sweat from your brow and let's get crackin'

What RPG passed you by or what RPG did you start off on a bad foot with? What RPG do you want to get back... That deep down you knew was the one for you?

For me it was the Eye of the Beholder series. Beholders are my favorite DnD monsters, hands down. If there was a sexual deviancy for Beholder fetishes I would probably have it. Sort of like DraQ has for dinosaurs. Don't worry 20Eyes. I'm heterosexual and I'm mostly joking. Mostly.

Anyways, the series always looked like it had a lot in common with my favorite types of RPGs. Namely the first person perspective games like Might and Magic and Wizardry. I like D&D as well, so it always seemed like it should be the perfect fit for my tastes. I just never, ever got around to caressing the EoB series. Should I call that polycloptic sweetheart up and give it a run?

Does anyone else out there have a game they cry out in the night for knowing that perhaps it was never meant to be?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Arcanum. Didn't know shit about Arcanum and first char I made had Harm (because I always go Necromancy first if I can). Easy mode combat turned me instantly off, but there were some other minor problems I had with it, such as the sucky animations.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Nael said:
What RPG passed you by or what RPG did you start off on a bad foot with? What RPG do you want to get back... That deep down you knew was the one for you?
None I think. All the ones I really liked I finished. Ones that passed me by really passed me by, as in I didn't know I'd like them until I played them many years later. I only played Fallout last year and had never even seen it run before, loved it too, but there was never a "want to get back" because I didn't know I'd like it so much. Same with Anachronox, which I played a few years after release and hadn't even heard of, yet loved very very much. Divinity looks like it'll be taking a place in this pantheon soon too. So, while there's games I played and THEN thought "why didn't I play these earlier?", there's none that I feel I didn't give enough chance and want to go back to.

I just never, ever got around to caressing the EoB series. Should I call that polycloptic sweetheart up and give it a run?
Definitely. It's pretty light as far as CRPG's go, but 1-2 are good games, with some fun puzzles. 1 only has that one Beholder, 2 has enough to make you fap vigorously.

The two crpgs that I really wanted to play through but gave up were Witcher and NWN2. Witcher (the re-mastered or whatever edition) was allergic to ATI cards which made it unable to process anti-aliasing; I spent about a full day trying to get it to work and gave up in anger (understand that this was under the context of getting a new muscle gaming PC and this sort of insult makes me insecure). NWN2... the camera controls.

Edit: Must have posted drunk or something. It's not Witcher I was referring to, but DKS.

Bros, Turdment passed me by. Tried it many times, never got into the Planescape universe. :decline:

Also, Turd Assect (rpg?). I'm never playing that turd. :smug:

Varn

Educated
Haha yeah, only MOTB due to the camera. The OC was just not worth playing even if it had WOW's camera.

I also plan to get back into Divinity 2 given that huge thread on it. I gave up at Sentinel Isle first time due to boredom.

Also Wizardry 8. Played it twice, both times got ground down by the long-ass combat and level scaling. I know it's got some great stuff in it but I can never get through it.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I regret not having played any Ultimas, especially now that Codexers are in agreement that they have defined the early 90s era RPG on PC, which is around the time I took to gaming on a computer. My first RPG more or less being a few hours on Might & Magic VI, I also missed and would like to attempt Dark Sun based on the LPs here and Betrayal at Krondor. The first one that I would realistically go to the lengths of removing from inventory to play is Icewind Dale games, though.

Luigi

Barely Literate
Essentially all first person and third person running simulators and blob combat sporting crap.

MisterStone

Arcane
I missed out on the whole Ultima Series after UV, because my family bought an Amiga (hey, it WAS the best value in computers at the time) and Origin never really supported that platform. By the time I was in college I had a Mac (my brother convinced me it was a good machine, and he was right... for reliability and schoolwork. But not for games.). SO I never got a chance to play U VI-VIII. I've played part of VII since, but I need to muster the free time and interested to pick the series back up.

This is pretty f'ed up because when I was 12 years old, I had DREAMS about future Ultimas. I think this whole situation scarred me emotionally.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wizardry series.

I can't stand playing games with that type of camera&combat combination. I finished some of them but it really pisses me and turns me off. When I have a party I need to move them tactically, they shouldn't stand in one fucking place (that's also what I hate in jRPGs) and why the fuck all my characters are in one body?

Even though I managed to finish Orcs & Elves and were somewhere far on one of the Wizardries, also played for a few days Mages & Warriors or whatever it was called... I still can't stand that fucking combat&camera. Because of that I can't force myself to play Realms of Arkania :[

mondblut

Arcane
Fate: Gates of Dawn, M&M2, Pool of Radiance.

I wish someday to be transported somewhere there is no other entertainment or a way to pass time than a computer, and these three (and the necessary emulators) are the only programs installed. Maybe that would give me enough focus.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
M%26MI.jpg

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Arcanum. I love the setting and the openness, but the horrid combat and overall half-finishedness of the game make it hard for me to sit through.

Also, the Witcher. Another cool setting marred by awful combat. The first chapter is really boring, too. It's been so long since I've played, I'd probably start over again but that first chapter keeps pushing me away mentally.

One day I'll finish them both. They're like the butterfaces of RPGs. You know that deep down inside they have things that excite you, but you've gotta get over the horrible face and the fact that your friends will laugh if they catch you together coming out of Deny's after work last week.

Nael said:
If there was a sexual deviancy for Beholder fetishes I would probably have it. Sort of like DraQ has for dinosaurs. Don't worry 20Eyes. I'm heterosexual and I'm mostly joking. Mostly.

Well, I mostly don't bite... mostly.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Also missed out on a lot of 90s PC RPGs due to owning an Amiga (though I dont regret it, dammit!). I've subsequently played quite a few of them, but not Planescape. Maybe one day...

LoPan

Learned
20 Eyes said:
Also, the Witcher. Another cool setting marred by awful combat. The first chapter is really boring, too. It's been so long since I've played, I'd probably start over again but that first chapter keeps pushing me away mentally.

I got past the countryside opening area, past the swamp and slum area (the long as all holy jesus christ when does it end and what am I doing area) and into the town proper, and that's when my brain discarded the game without me knowing about it. I played enhanced edition and dug on the combat; good lord that game is the very definition of a having a hump.

I want to finish it out of spite and also to figure out if it might just be complete rubbish disguised by a veil of tits. It's hardly a complicated game, the story is confusing but that's not complicated, but getting over that hump is something I don't feel like doing any time soon, damn sink hole of precious time. Sad to tell you that although that first chapter might be a mental sewer level the one that follows does even less to get the ball rolling.

Mackerel

Augur
Konjad said:
When I have a party I need to move them tactically, they shouldn't stand in one fucking place (that's also what I hate in jRPGs) and why the fuck all my characters are in one body?

...Because of that I can't force myself to play Realms of Arkania :[
RoA has isometric combat.

SkeleTony

Augur
Konjad said:
Wizardry series.

I can't stand playing games with that type of camera&combat combination. I finished some of them but it really pisses me and turns me off. When I have a party I need to move them tactically, they shouldn't stand in one fucking place (that's also what I hate in jRPGs) and why the fuck all my characters are in one body?

Even though I managed to finish Orcs & Elves and were somewhere far on one of the Wizardries, also played for a few days Mages & Warriors or whatever it was called... I still can't stand that fucking combat&camera. Because of that I can't force myself to play Realms of Arkania :[

Wizardry 7 introduced some rudimentary tactical options in it's FP combat(characters in the middle row needed a longer weapon to hit front line monsters and characters in the very back needed ranged weapons IIRC). And Wizardry 8 had straight up tactical formations(which a LOT of people overlooked when trying the game). It is true that you still could not move them individually but W8 is still the most tactical FP CRPG out there.

A weakness of first person party-based CRPGs but it is often counterbalanced(as Wizardry 7 and 8 did) by other elements.

Realms of Arcana had isometric combat, not first person "blob" combat.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Ultima V came out for the Amiga as well as the C64, and I was saving for an Amiga and kept walking by the Babbages or whatever, eyeing it up. I loved Ultima IV.

Eventually I had the dough to buy an Amiga, but the U5 wasn't available. I went to U6, though, which was not bad at all. After playing U7 to SI to death, then U8, U9... well, I just never finished U5. I feel like a big pussy.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
oldmanpaco said:
M%26MI.jpg

For some reason this box cover always gave me a hardon growing up. But I never bought the game and then as time went by it slipped from my mind.[/quote]
Don't feel bad on not playing M&M1. Unfortunately, I did and it almost ruined the series for me. That game was almost impossible.

ElectricOtter

Darklands. Unfortunately, I never got to play it when I was young. 15 or so years later, I did, and completely fell in love with it :love:

FAKE EDIT: shit yeah shiny new cipher tag

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom