Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Rome II media blitz underway

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I don't really understand the anti-CA angst. Yes, of all the companies making realistic strategy games, Creative Assembly are the most "mass market-oriented".

But, as I've said before, if the Total War franchise represents the dumber part of your genre, then I'd say your genre is in damn good shape. Talking about CA the same way you talk about Bioware or Bethesda is overkill.

CA is more like Activision and Valve. Repackaging the same game every year for a decade without any advances.
Hey the formula sells as it is, why change anything?

Once they make the jump to consoles and then sacrifice a few key elements that made the games decent in exchange for streamlining then we can safely say that they are more like bio and beth, and Activision, and EA, and whatever other ignorant short-sighted big-ass games publisher out there looking to maximize their profits.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't really understand the anti-CA angst. Yes, of all the companies making realistic strategy games, Creative Assembly are the most "mass market-oriented".

But, as I've said before, if the Total War franchise represents the dumber part of your genre, then I'd say your genre is in damn good shape. Talking about CA the same way you talk about Bioware or Bethesda is overkill.

CA is more like Activision and Valve. Repackaging the same game every year for a decade without any advances.

Once they make the jump to consoles and then sacrifice a few key elements that made the games decent in exchange for streamlining then we can safely say that they are more like bio and beth, and Activision, and EA, and whatever other ignorant short-sighted big-ass games publisher out there looking to maximize their profits.

Hopefully whatever they make for the console ends up failing horribly because console gamers cannot into strategy.

aris

Arcane
New engine for Rome 2! Hope that's it's not going to be as crap as the new engine that was introduces in empire, as they finally made it quite good (if not very good!) in shogun 2. I'm optimistic though!

aris

Arcane

Isn't that what the developers of ARMA do too? :roll: It's not inherently bad, if those changes that they make to an already good game, are meaningful and advances gameplay. They've (the developers of civilization) pretty much done this with the civilization series.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I know you are pretty dumb but is it so hard to notice that I've said there are no advances of any kind in TW series?

Economics for kindergarten and rock-paper-scissor strategy were fun during first five reskins but can CA at least show something else but milking?

How Total War is better than Call of Duty or Counter-Strike in this regard? Same shit every fucking year.

Compare Paradox sequels - there are always leaps forward that warrant their existence.

aris

Arcane
No advances? Only reskins? Nah, that's just wrong, and shows that you don't know what you are talking about. It's also pretty clear that you don't understand what CA are aiming for with their series, and what the appeal is among fans.

aris

Arcane
Because almost each one of them introduce interesting game mechanics on the realtime battlefield that are, above all, fun to use. And you are wrong if you think that I think that all outputs in the series are good. The total war series is, and has always been about the realtime battles; semi-realistic with focus on graphic fidelity to give a nice action movie like recreation of the excitement and punch of battle (leaving out the post traumatic stress disorder) in the vein of movies like The gladiator, and if you want it more realistic, then there are mods for that, like darth mod. The strategy, especially on the turn based map is, and was from the start, almost an afterthought: If you want deep, complex and focused implementations of that, you are better off with the Europa Universalis series, crusader king 2, or even civilization. Though strategy has been steadily inclining since the extremely barebone shogun:total war, still not great though, and everything he says about economics and rock-paper-scissor strategy is true.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I'm with 'gaudaost' on this one. If you want grand strategy look elsewhere, if you want tactical real time battles with nice flash you go Total War. 'Shogun 2' was very much incline of these regards, especially after the travesty that was 'Empire'. Rome 2 does raise some red flags so far in the initial announcements but we have yet to know much anything about how they're taking the gameplay in it's entirety, just a few bizarre features and an awkward out of place video that we're apparently supposed to interpret as "hype".

MetalCraze

Arcane
No advances? Only reskins? Nah, that's just wrong, and shows that you don't know what you are talking about. It's also pretty clear that you don't understand what CA are aiming for with their series, and what the appeal is among fans.

Graphics?

aris

Arcane
That's a big part, yeah: Pretty much what I listed in my previous post.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I know you are pretty dumb but is it so hard to notice that I've said there are no advances of any kind in TW series?

Economics for kindergarten and rock-paper-scissor strategy were fun during first five reskins but can CA at least show something else but milking?

How Total War is better than Call of Duty or Counter-Strike in this regard? Same shit every fucking year.

Compare Paradox sequels - there are always leaps forward that warrant their existence.

they have zero competition, no one else even comes close. it'd be nice, but the rest of the strategy game developers need to get their shit together.

Are they going to make half-decent BAI & CAI this time?

No? I thought so. Not even going to be worth the bandwidth to not remove from inventory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom