Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2016 Role-Playing Game of the Year & Age of Incline Voting

Kahr

How should i vote when i only played one game of that year and it was shit?
Is it shit then or the best game i played that year?

Israfael

Arcane
There should have been fractions of 1, to be honest - i'd give DA:I around 0.5, and 0.01 to Fallout 4 (since i felt it's only 1% RPG and 99% something else). Most of the weaboo titles are unknown, never realized there's so much of 'em. Some strange things - there's DXMD and there's no Dishonored 2 in the list - it's either of them out or either in, in my opinion (although i haven't played the latter as it's too expensive).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
While we wait for the full results, I'd like to ask - not YOUR personal favorites, but what you people think will be the Codex's hivemind's Top 5?

Kahr

Pillars of Eternity
Age of Decadence
Underrail
Witcher 3
Shadowrun (either Hong Kong or Dragonfall; don't know which one is better, haven't played any)

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For 2016?

Dragon's Dogma
Stranger of Sword City
Lightning Returns
God Eater 2
Princess Maker 2 Refine

With nep-nep games being immediate runner ups

:obviously:

V_K

Arcane
1. DOS
2. Underrail
3. AoD
4. Dragonfall
5. Witcher 3 or Neo Scavenger, can go either way. Possibly Grimrock 2, but less likely.
PoE was very low in its own year's poll, I don't see any reason why it'd fair much better now.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
Just in case you wonder - these are not my favs! I listed the games by my intuition:

2012 - Legend of Grimrock
2013 - Shadowrun: Returns
2014 - Divinity: Original Sin
2015 - Underrail
2016 - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Edit: Just open the list/link in a new browser tab - it helped me to remember the games:D
http://www.rpgcodex.net/goty_vote.php

Perkel

Arcane
While we wait for the full results, I'd like to ask - not YOUR personal favorites, but what you people think will be the Codex's hivemind's Top 5?

hivemind top5:

1. AoD
2. Underail
3. Witcher 3
4. NeoScavenger
5. Divinity:OS

edit: lol at people thinking PoE will be in top5. I give it 7-8th place.

felipepepe
When voting ends ?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Feb 1st. I should've ended it yesterday, so I could use the weekend to play with data... but 28 is such a weird day to end stuff. :(

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

hivemind top5:

1. AoD
2. Underail
3. Witcher 3
4. NeoScavenger
5. Divinity:OS

edit: lol at people thinking PoE will be in top5. I give it 7-8th place.

Judging by the hype over there in the POE2 news thread, I suspect POE might very well be in something like 3rd place. Other than that, I agree with your rankings for the hivemind - although I wonder if AoD might show up. If you think it won't show up because not enough people played it, then NeoScav and Underrail shouldn't be there either.
Shadowrun showing up in the top 5 is extremely unlikely at best. Wasteland 2 DC will be way higher.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
First three will be: DOS, Age of Decadence and Underrail.

Below that it's much less certain: Witcher 3, one of the Shadowruns, possibly Pillars or Wasteland 2. I don't think that Neoscavenger will make it into the Top 5.

Perkel

Arcane
Judging by the hype over there in the POE2 news thread, I suspect POE might very well be in something like 3rd place. Other than that, I agree with your rankings for the hivemind - although I wonder if AoD might show up. If you think it won't show up because not enough people played it, then NeoScav and Underrail shouldn't be there either.
Shadowrun showing up in the top 5 is extremely unlikely at best. Wasteland 2 DC will be way higher.

Don't confuse popularity with quality. IF we would be talking about most popular RPG then Pillars would be second.

Just because many people want PoE2 to be made (as if this wouldn't happen) it doesn't mean they also don't see problems with PoE1.

I think real question is where Serpent of Staglands will be. I think 6th place but i don't vouch for that.

V_K

Arcane
Just look at the data for the 2015 GOTY, for fuck's sake. PoE was at 41st place with Bayesian average of 3.30. Even if the hype over the sequel is a thing, anyone who thinks it'll get anywhere near Top5 is delusional.
I mean, given the same methodology and the same user base, the final ratings of the games will likely be similar to those of the last two GOTY polls. 2016 has a snowball's chance in hell to have anything on Top5. The only outliers may come from 2012 and 2013, but that's very unlikely, most prominent games come from 2014 and 2015.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
I don't think there are many autistic screeaching idiots though. 2015 voting had like 2k votes if i remember right and it was fresh after PoE release so many people did their autism.

I think it will be in top 10

V_K

Arcane
I don't think there are many autistic screeaching idiots though. 2015 voting had like 2k votes if i remember right and it was fresh after PoE release so many people did their autism.
You're wrong on both assumptions. The 2015 poll was done via the Codex already (instead of Google poll in 2014), so the total number of votes was also about 750.
And PoE's rating was so low not because many people rated it 1 (only 8% did that) or 2 (15%), but because it was mostly rated 3 (33%) or 4 (31%), with only 14% of 5 votes.
So it might get closer to 3.5 average this time around, but I doubt it'll get any more. And 3.5 would probably land it in Top20 at best (10th place in 2015 was at 3.55 points, but there are 5 times more games this time around)

Edit: Slight correction, I was looking at overall data for 2015, which includes all 3 categories (GOTY, Tacticool and Remasters). If we look at GOTY only, PoE will be at 19 place, and 10th place was at 3.42 average. Still, given the increased number of games on the current list, I wouldn't place it higher than 10th place (and even that is highly unlikely IMO).

Edit2: But then again, the current poll includes games from all three of 2015 categories, so using overall results for predictions may be more accurate anyway.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Best 5 regardless of year?

- Legends of Eisenwald
- Underrail
- Blackguards
- Divinity: Original Sin
- Shadowrun: Dragonfall

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom