Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Editorial: Games Journalism Scandal

Misconnected

Savant
As you no doubt already know unless you're Czech, all the best bear is import bear. I simply can't in good conscience recommend polar bear. Unless you're a leftover Titan, it's next to impossible to get polar bear in a practical size. And even if you are, polar bear cooling is a pain in the ass. Think about it for a moment, if you could chill polar bear with anything up to and including industrial-strength freezers, you'd get it in warm places. Places with lots of deliciously fatty slowfood. Like, say, Florida. But no, you basically can't get polar bear south of Svalbard.

If you must have something unusual, I'd suggest trying spectacled bear. That you can keep nice & cold in your fridge, and female young actually fits inside a typical fridge (though you might need to empty it out and remove the shelves).

Gondolin

Arcane
No, thanks. The shock of finding a dead spectacled bear in the fridge would be too much for my family. Especially if they found it before it reached the proper temperature. I'll think about that Czech bear, though.

Misconnected

Savant
In that case, I'd recommend Pilsner Urquell.

EDIT: Yeah, yeah, I know it technically isn't bear. But if you have enough of them you won't be able to tell the difference.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah, a dead bear wearing glasses would be alarming.

Please, please spoil the mystery already. I'm going to giggle myself into an early grave trying to imagine why the glasses would so disturb you.

Well, its because if this bear is wearing glasses, obviously its an intellectual. And if bears have smarts and bear-strength, they might team up with dolphins for Red Dawn, animal style.

Actually, I was punning, badly it seems, on a "spectacled bear" disturbing Gondolin - spectacles are a term for glasses (although a somewhat archaic one). You drink beer out of a glass etc.

Oesophagus

Arcane
I respect the person who wrote that Kotaku article.

I mean, it can't be easy to write on the keyboard while a giant cock is bruising the back of your throat

Black

Arcane
waEmL.png

Requesting this as an emo.

waEmL.png

Requesting this as an emo.

Excerpt from The Journalist Book one of The Journalist trilogy saga:

As Keighley lay next to his beloved Doritos, grasping it for protection from the cold darkness of actual Journalistic work, he was distracted by the hardness of his Mountain Dew, vigorously sloshing between his legs. As he grasped it, tenderly but with a firmness of resolve, he felt the power within begin to surge. With no heed to his now long lost love of Journalistic Integrity, he immediately set himself to the arduous task of polishing his Mountain Dew. Keighley's Doritos, realizing his divided attention, began to crumple slightly under the stress of their relationship.

"Don't worry", Keighly said, "I still care for you, Doritos. You and Mountain Dew, both of you complete me."

Doritos knew Keighley's word was true. She had known of the special relationship between the two of them the instant they met.

"They will hate us for what we've done", Doritos sighed, "but let them hate. What we've done was for love."

Keighly looked away for a moment, his eyes searching. Though deadened by the years of torment he had suffered for his love, he knew that would be but a preamble to what was to come. He could see no life for him outside of Doritos and Mountain Dew. With grim determination, he turned back to Doritos.

"My precious Doritos. I will write any review. I will cover any sponsership deals. I will defend your honor until the day I die. The world may seek to punish me for what I do, but I welcome their vitriol. What you, and Mountain Dew, give me is infinitely greater than what any of them can take away."

Mountain Dew, overcome with emotion, exploded in joy and admiration from the moment they shared. Keighley, holding tight to the loves of his life, promised to never let go.

Pre-order now from Amazon. Join us on facebook, and declare yourself part of Team Snack Food or Team Honest Journalism today.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I'm reading reviews of a movie that I liked a lot on IMDB and I like how people are giving it 8/10 while heaping praise on it. It's like there's some sanity left in this world.

Misconnected

Savant
Actually, I was punning, badly it seems, on a "spectacled bear" disturbing Gondolin - spectacles are a term for glasses (although a somewhat archaic one). You drink beer out of a glass etc.

As puns go, it was fine. It's just that your syntax was so much better. The line isn't just open to misinterpretation, the misinterpretation is the one implied; after all, why go out of your way to mention the fact of the glasses, if the dead bear is the cause of alarm? That your handle kind of sounds like Hark the Halfarsed Svalbardian Viking Guy only reinforced the "of course that guy keeps dead bears in his fridge" reading, and made it that much more curious that a pair of glasses would freak you out... Point being, I think you had me laughing my ass off for a solid 5 minutes (but In my defence, I wasn't terrifyingly sober), and I would never have guessed it was by accident.

Incidentally, spectacled bears are called such because their typical fur colouring kind of makes them look like they're wearing glasses. So uhm... It was a nice explanation & stuffs, and I don't want to sound like a git... But it's probably safe to assume that someone who knows what a spectacled bear is, also knows what spectacles are ;)

Oesophagus

Arcane
Only place I go for game reviews is Amazon.com user reviews.

amazon said:
I am old enough to have played the original game when it first came out in 1997. I was a great fan of the series that followed and, thus, was very eager to get my hands on this latest installment. In a short sentence: FALLOUT-3 is A DREAM COME TRUE!
amazon said:
Oblivion has to be one of the all time classic RPG's, it's up there with Zelda-Occarina of Time and FFVII for sheer fame and lasting impressions.

:thumbsup:

TNO

Augur
I'm going to bump this thread again to fellate Grosnik a bit. This is a beautiful article: the research is exhaustive an irrefragable, the argument is cogent and powerful, and the writing style is glorious (particularly loved the casual references to classical literature drizzled among the vernacular intensifiers and invective - truly :obviously: rage vituperation).

What gets me most about this sorry saga is all these 'soft influencing' tricks the industry plays on the ensemble of clueless hacks are not new. I'm a med student, and the history of how Pharma cosies up to Doctors is well known. It's a matter of scientific research about how free meals or even free bloody biros or a comely pharma rep being nice to you lead to biasing in doctors prescribing decisions towards that company. And, like our coterie of clueless hacks, doctors also used to trot out the same defences about how they have far too much integrity to cleave to such venal influences (does anyone think they have below-average integrity? Yet about half of us do!) Science said otherwise.

The medical establishment is now extremely keen to avoid this sort of corruption (although by no means perfectly: in the UK big gifts are effectively banned, and you are required to disclose conflicts of interest if you go on Pharma trips or get cushy advisor gigs, but there are still far too many drug-rep funded free lunches and pens in medicine). I know many doctors who make a point of not only refusing all gifts - no matter how trivial (stationary and food inclusive) - but make a point of never speaking to a pharmaceutical representative under any circumstances, for fear that might influence the decisions they make for their patients. As, even if they can't buy you anything, reps will have a playbook of ways of getting you to like them, a warm glow your mind will extend to the product they will mention, as well as protecting it against criticism, as one tends to feel that acting against the product will somehow hurt this person you got on so well with, even if you'll know they'll never find out. When a company that is trying to turn a profit is giving you something, you should assume there is a strategy on their part to get a return on their investment. (Cf. our Halo 4 reviewer earlier gushing about how nice and chummy MS were being to her as she was reviewing their game. What an ostentatious act of philanthropy on their part!)

There's no reason why a video game journalist - or video game magazine - can't use the same principles. You get the game (and nothing else) sent to you, play it, review it, and then send it back. You can avoid conflicts of interest re. advertising revenue by making like a reputable medical journal and have a communications wall between the reviewers and the people sourcing advertising. You can even stay engaged in the hype machine/circle-jerk whatever, so long as you keep dedicated reviewers around who stay away from that sort of thing. If you can't do that, you can (again, like a reputable scientific journal) at least demand conflicted reviewers reveal their conflicts of interest. This is not so labour intensive to be beyond the reach of the bigger video games shops. Now sure, some of our games journalists may have such steely principles that they don't need any of this to give fair and accurate scores (although given the fact I've barely ever seen a AAA blockbuster release get a sub-8 from a major reviewer in the last half decade, this proportion is miniscule), but where's the harm? Why not follow a Caesar's wife principle here?

The problem is this will never happen, and to be honest the reason why has less to do with the generally bottom-quartile and broadly infantile graduate population who sink into video games journalism out of low aspirations or inability to do anything more worthwhile, but rather the mass of consumers. If a major 'games reviewer' did this, the average score would invariably plummet, as reviewers, deprived of the halo effect of the publishers machinations (not to mention by-proxy bribery and the wink-wink-nudge-nudge understanding about not biting the hand that feeds the magazine) would start recognising that at least some games, even AAA titles, are just dire. Not dire by the acquired taste of Codexian standards, but dire by the lights of the average fan who (for example) played DA2 and thought it blew, or was pissed off at ME3s ending, that the latest sequel to generic series X has really flogged it's carcass beyond recognizability, or whatever else. Yet bad scores will lead to publisher retribution, and the drying up of revenue and exclusive access that is their lifeblood. Game over.

If the market of consumers cared for decent reviewing, this strategy wouldn't work: sites that acted like publisher shills would have their audience dry up, and they would stick with the honest reviewers, forcing publishers to deal with them without a de facto guarantee of a 'good score', and the consumer gets what they want. However, consumers seem happy to swallow all the hype about the current flavour of pablum being offered up by major game designers, and when their offerings are indeed foul (glowing reviews from the servile reviewers notwithstanding) they are quick to forgive both producer and reviewer their collusion and return for their next helping.

Zappa said "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read." I think the closest cognate for games reviewing is this: "Mainstream reviews are companies with vested interests, influencing people without scruples, to write for people without taste."

grotsnik

Arcane
There's no reason why a video game journalist - or video game magazine - can't use the same principles. You get the game (and nothing else) sent to you, play it, review it, and then send it back. You can avoid conflicts of interest re. advertising revenue by making like a reputable medical journal and have a communications wall between the reviewers and the people sourcing advertising. You can even stay engaged in the hype machine/circle-jerk whatever, so long as you keep dedicated reviewers around who stay away from that sort of thing. If you can't do that, you can (again, like a reputable scientific journal) at least demand conflicted reviewers reveal their conflicts of interest.

I think the most telling rebuttal to the basic common-sense of what you're saying was that Pocketgamer editorial (I still don't really know who they are, but so many journalists passed it around as the 'first reasonable response' to the whole thing) I posted a while back, just because it manages to cram in so many of the specious and straw-man arguments in favour of the status quo that I've read.

1) You're making a fuss about nothing more untoward than journalists receiving complementary pencil-sharpeners or a cup of tea or a chicken sandwich from the industry. What, do you really expect us to waste our time turning down every gifted mouse-mat? Do you really think we're affected by such petty things? This is a trivial non-story that's been turned into a witch-hunt!

2) Journalists who don't work hard at their relationships with publicists will miss out on important stories. What you're saying is that you want us to become totally isolated hermits who never speak to anyone, ever - you're being unreasonable!

3) It's disgraceful that this story has been talked about so much when there's been a hurricane in New York/a games journalist has died recently in tragic circumstances/games sites still rely on games for advertising/there's so much good games journalism going on! Get some perspective, people!

4) So maybe we are in danger of being influenced by our relationship with PR people. But we're also in danger of being influenced by the time of day, or if we're feeling cranky, or if we just did a really satisfying poo. It's unreasonable to expect us to avoid all possibility of being influenced by things, you know!

5) Why do we need to set up explicit boundaries and guidelines? Clearly we live in an age of internet cynicism. We need to have more implicit trust in journalists to do the right thing, and more trust in readers, because they can always tell when somebody's a shill (unless they happen to be a misguided senseless internet witch-hunt mob, like these particular readers)!

6) It's very important to keep a watchful, critical eye on any reporting industry. The journalists who've done so in this particular case, however, are nothing more than self-righteous, navel-gazing, bullying, rabble-rousing, etc, etc.

7) But...but...you're hurting the reputation of games journalism by acting as if anything might need to change! :(

I just think it's genuinely impressive, the sheer amount of crap that can be written on the subject of 'Why explicitly encouraging journalistic impartiality is a terrible idea and completely unnecessary and totally impossible, anyway'. Anyway, those are the arguments of the defence, I guess.

Also, I just learnt the word 'pablum' from you. Thanks, it's really fucking cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom