Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Retrospective Review: Darklands

Man if only Obsidian remade Darklands with J.E. Sawyer at the helm. Like they are remaking I.E. games with Project Eternity. I'd kill for a Darklands setting crpg.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Once again the real version is so much more :obviously: than a "not from inventory" or "GOG" version*

GREAT game!!

100_3896.JPG

*though I do own the GOG version as I don't have a 5.25 floppy drive that works anymore... :oops:

Zeriel

Arcane
but you also need to be careful, as once the character reaches 30 years of age, his attributes will start deteriorating.

Motherfucker!

I'm getting pretty close to 30 years old. :|

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice review. Sadly, this game was already old when I started CRPGing and I still have not reached back in time to try it. I am going to, someday.*

*Hopefully after someone releases a turn-based remake.

Thank you for this retrospective Darth Roxor.

To tell you the truth guys, I really think there is hope in Obsidian tackling this. I just hope they aren't doing it because, you know, they don't want to tackle too many projects at a time. And if they could get Arnold Hendrick to join. Man.

They could present it well and there could be enough Obsidian fanboys for project to succeed, especially if PE turns out good, and I think it will.

As we all know Darklands is unfortunately quite a obscure crpg, and its name alone won't bring much pledgers, and that's my worst fear, that no one will touch it, because its name isn't "strong" enough like Fallout, Wasteland, Infinity Engine games etc. I.e. Fearghus won't even think about it, as it's not "slam dunk". :(

But really, wouldn't it be great if Obsidian sees they have never produced a open world, "randomized", isometric crpg adventure in the vein of Darklands. It could really be a good match. As Sawyer really IS a fan of the game.

/end rant

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
This game was amazing. Where is my Kickstarter remake? I would throw some serious coin at that. Especially if they implemented turn based combat. I get a raging RPG boner just thinking about it.

i know it sounds dumb, but the fact that graphics sort of forced you to "fill the gaps" with your imagination was part of the appeal to me... a remake with modern graphics... meh...

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I should give this game a second chance, if I could get used to the combat that is.

Otherwise, here's hoping for an Obsidian remake.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
i know it sounds dumb, but the fact that graphics sort of forced you to "fill the gaps" with your imagination was part of the appeal to me... a remake with modern graphics... meh...
The opposite of a graphix whore is not an monocle, just saying. Darklands graphics could use some improvement.

Also, Reviewer fails to mention that the game gets too much repetitive in terms of content and sidequests(villages and cities are pretty much the same for example, only names changes). It's like playing a modern bethesda game: you reach the 10 or 15 hour mark, you have seen it all. And dungeon crawling is way worse than the combat, way worse. But since dungeon crawling is few and far between, it don't get much attention.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Where do you guys get this Obsidian/Darklands chance/rumor from? That one text-adventure screenshot/image from that one KS update?

Edit: I can't read; Sawyer quote on page 1.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
The opposite of a graphix whore is not an monocle

i'm just saying that for me, part of the appeal of those games was that i had to imagine what was going on, instead of having it "described" to me by 3d graphics. Those undistinguished pixels forced me to visualize things better in my mind, and fill the inevitable gaps that the inferior technology of the era created. It was a plus for me, rather than a minus.

i'm just saying that for me, part of the appeal of those games was that i had to imagine what was going on, instead of having it "described" to me by 3d graphics. Those undistinguished pixels forced me to visualize things better in my mind, and fill the inevitable gaps that the inferior technology of the era created. It was a plus for me, rather than a minus.

Like it would be a minus if it used graphics we have seen so far in Project Eternity for example...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I never visualise anything in my mind when playing games.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Darth Roxor i think you can save the game in dungeons. I remember savescumming through a puzzle in a fucking dungeon.

There is also other thing the review fail to adress in the sidequests: There seems to be a time limit to the "kill the robberbaron" quests. If you fail the quest(the game won't tell you) you lose reputation on the city you picked the quest , and the guards will try to arrest you for being a lazy ass. That seems pretty rarsh to me. Other than that, there is the lame fedex quests, "go bring me artifact XYZ". I like the game, but this review got a bit too much doritos.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Oh, i almost forgot: female warriors. Godamnit microprose you were so close to deliver an authentic medieval fantasy simulation. Thankfully, you can just ignore this in character creation and the game world won't aknowledge this as far as im aware(didn't finish the main quest). Witches are fine tho'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom