Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Shadowrun Returns

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
There's only one X-Com in my book.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I played the campaign 2 times and messed a little with the editor, all the systems necessary to make a complex RPG are in place but the campaign don't use the game mechanics fully. I liked the game, but my liking was more a product of: Shadowrun setting + lack of options.I don't think the railroaded nature of the campaign is the result only of budget but there was heavy streamlining also (Was it an attempt to hide the lack of content or emulate the SNES version? I don't know.) because on the editor it isn't hard to make areas where you can go and return to when you want and how many times you want, it is possible to make doors that you can open and close, make dialog skill checks involving all skills and even specific spells, there is a way to get out of the turn based mode where there is no enemy in sight, the enemies in the campaign have incredible shitty stats(no wonder it is so easy), you can make way bigger maps than the ones used on the campaign and to there are people trying to make a system where you can save anywhere.

Why there aren't alot of side quests, dialog and reactivity is understandable because that shit require alot of work but you don't even being able to return to the area you left? Being unable to close the doors you opened? The enemies having shitty stats even at the very had mode?This smells like streamlining. Why the interactive icons flash all the time, making all the interactive icons visible if you pressed a key, instead of flashing all the time, was something hard to do? This isn't a problem in the campaign where having 4 interactive icons in the same screen was something rare, but as you make a custom module with alot of interactions on a small area, the screen end polluted as hell ( Is there a way to disable this?). If , at least the plot was engaging... but it really suffered in the name of fan service. The editor is far more interesting than the campaign and I'm having more fun messing with it than playing the campaign, while having a good editor is something nice, something is wrong when you have more fun messing with it than playing the game. Berlin is going to be bigger and probably less railroaded than the OC but the pointless easy combat amd fan service plot have to go.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
the enemies in the campaign have incredible shitty stats(no wonder it is so easy).
This is something that I found very retarded. Not only do they generally have p. low karma pool but you have stuff like mages with points in throwing weapons. Fucking why.

Also does any enemy use a different AI behavior other than attacking everyone equally? You gotta love the dumb shit they do sometimes. It's kinda cute.

*shoots with a pistol at the furthest guy possible, misses the shot*
*leaves cover for no reason running through an enemy shaman conjured field on the way*

DeepOcean

Arcane
*leaves cover for no reason running through an enemy shaman conjured field on the way*

Yep, the Ai is too agressive for it's own good. 1) Use two spellcasters with firewall , 2) place firewall on the door , 3) hide where the enemy can't see you, 4)set someone with a shotgun in overwatch, 5) Facepalm as the AI commits suicide on mass Lemmings style. Jesus, after I saw five Lonestar guys supported by two machine guns, abbandon their strong defensive position to charge mindless into my obvious trap, I cursed Harebrained and almost wanted my jew gold back, but seriously, they could had placed a command of hold position on the AI, well, at least, mages wouldn't want to taste a shotgun shot from close range all the time.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Can modding make the AI play smarter or can we only increase the difficulty by making enemies stronger?

You can set the Ai to protect mode and assume a cautious attitude, I think this would imrpove it's survival rate and you can set priorities via trigger to target mages and shamans instead of only the nearest enemy, my guess is that most enemies in the campaign are set to hunt and destroy mode that causes facepalming situations.

DramaticPopcorn

all the systems necessary to make a complex RPG are in place but the campaign don't use the game mechanics fully.
Actually it's the other way around: none of the systems necessary to make a complex RPG are in place and campaing makes full use of the tools provided.

DeepOcean

Arcane
all the systems necessary to make a complex RPG are in place but the campaign don't use the game mechanics fully.
Actually it's the other way around: none of the systems necessary to make a complex RPG are in place and campaing makes full use of the tools provided.

On the campaign:
There is no traditional fully explorable hub area (you can't even return to the area you left)
Most skillchecks are very limited
There is no looting
There is a substancial lack of equipment options
There are no real sidequests
Mission areas tend to be really small
The combat is banal, shit boring
There is no C&C

All of this can be fixed on the editor, some are more complicated to add to the game but hardly advanced mathemathics , so, no, the campaign don't use fully the systems available.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Definitely. For stuff like basic C&C, you only need the possibility to store quest-related variables in the engine. And that can definitely be done, as the campaign shows. So, the tools are there, they just didn't use them... or not much.

DramaticPopcorn

On the campaign:
There is no looting
There is no inventory system to speak of to justify varied looting.
There is a substancial lack of equipment options
You cannot add add new items via the editor. And what would it change? You have literally 3 equipment types: consumables, weapons and armour. Hardly any reason to give player tonns of equipment options.
The combat is banal, shit boring
Cannot be changed via editor other than statistical increases.
There is no traditional fully explorable hub area (you can't even return to the area you left)
Why would there be any? Game cannot remember states of static objects within the area, and trigger-coding every area for this sounds like a waste of time when you can simply... not use them again.
Most skillchecks are very limited
Shrug, they are still there.
There are no real sidequests
There's at least one real sidequest.

The biggest problem with the editor is lack of actual scripting that would allow for something more complex than if - else statements.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Your only “social” skills are your etiquettes – you get one by default at the start
Only if you're an elf, who have +1 CHA thus unlocking first etiquette automatically.

Review was good.

aris

Arcane
That Inept Developer That Shall Not Be Named that essentially defrauded a whole bunch of backers recently.

How is this? I need to know urgently.
:avatard:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I give this game a 2 out of 5. It was over too quickly, too suddenly and left me feeling unfulfilled yet vaguely satisfied- like a shoddy blowjob, I guess.

Rake

Arcane
I give this game a 2 out of 5. It was over too quickly, too suddenly and left me feeling unfulfilled yet vaguely satisfied- like a shoddy blowjob, I guess.
Berlin campain comes out in October. Just treat Seatle as part 1 in an episodic format.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
All right. Let's go meet Lovewyrm.
Well, we already did, but you know, I'd like to meet him in a more intimate setting...

Rake

Arcane
All right. Let's go meet Love Wyrm.
Well, we already did, but you know, I'd like to meet him in a more intimate setting...
Imagine what David Gaider could do with that editor...;)

They could outsource their DLC to Bioware :mhd:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom