Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Shadowrun Returns

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
A well written, detailed review, Darth Roxor !

The Codex should give more doritos potato and review copies to the dude.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
All in all Shadowrun Returns is an interactive novel with combat in some charbuilding in between but lacks the true rpg feel because of it's total linearity. That being said the greatest strength is the writing accompanied by the artwork and music.
So basically, the Planescape:Torment of Kickstarter releases, but with better combat? ;)

Koschey

Arcane
Great review, DR. An enjoyable read and it raised good points. Pretty much reflects my own opinion with few exceptions.

:bro:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The Codex should give more doritos potato and review copies to the dude.

The thought has crossed my mind.

All in all Shadowrun Returns is an interactive novel with combat in some charbuilding in between but lacks the true rpg feel because of it's total linearity. That being said the greatest strength is the writing accompanied by the artwork and music.
So basically, the Planescape:Torment of Kickstarter releases, but with better combat? ;)

The interactive novel complaint against PS:T is and always has been foolish. It exists solely because combat is horrible. Firstly, combat being horrible doesn't mean there is no combat (in fact there's way too much of it), and secondly, there is a lot of non-linear exploration and optional content in Torment.

The game does not have tight mechanics, but comparing it to a novel in the days of The Walking Dead and Heavy Rain seems laughable.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nice Review.

Am enjoying the game, it feels a lot like a demo to what could have been, but seeing budget constrains I am happy that it got released and that it got done in 2D with lovely lighting. I think the bioware choices are a bit cringeworthy but I'm playing it more for the great atmosphere and fun combat.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Is there any information what HBS is going to do next, other than the Berlin campaign? I see the comments are full of suggestions and requests, but no statements whatsoever. Or is everyone on vacation right now?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there any information what HBS is going to do next, other than the Berlin campaign? I see the comments are full of suggestions and requests, but no statements whatsoever. Or is everyone on vacation right now?

HBS aren't big on community interaction.

Some crowdfunded projects have taken that level of transparency up a notch, and invited backers into the development process itself in a variety of ways. Gitelman said the Shadowrun Returns team made a conscious effort not to have backers giving direct input in the game, a decision that he was surprised didn't get much negative feedback.

"I expected that, but it really hasn't happened that way on Shadowrun Returns," Gitelman said. "Truthfully, our backers have been great. ... I think what's happened is we set the tone pretty early in our Kickstarter. It was a fairly conscious decision on my part. We'll listen to feedback and then we'll make intelligent decisions, but we don't solicit it."

Instead, Gitelman pointed backers to a Shadowrun fansite and told them to have their debates there so the developers would monitor the discussions and incorporate some good ideas.

"We haven't engaged the fans directly because we're not about to have a debate or an argument with our supporters," Gitelman said. "Let them debate each other and then we'll just make intelligent decisions on things they can't possibly know, production difficulties, costs, manpower, all that kind of stuff."

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Yeah, really strange that they don't even have a forum. It's not like it costs a lot of money, and it would give them some "control" over things.

Liston

Augur

I thought that they practically announced their plans for future content at the and of the game in dialogues with Harlequen and Jake. I don't know anything about Shadowrun lore but I expected to find relatively detailed descriptions of DLC's locations on the codex. Here are the conversations:

QHAkqzE.png

Harelquin announcing Berlin DLC.

whNr5dD.png

Jake saying that there is more content incoming (mods and DLC).

GMglcA3.png

abyWSZj.png

And here are locations of other planned DLCs. I hope that someone more knowledgeable about lore give as more details.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
God damnit, do something about the content formatting already!

'tis horrible!

Short one-liner news are still tolerable, but with long reviews it is just a pain in the ass to read.

Septaryeth

Augur

likaq

Arcane
By the way, Fallout 3 had more choices & consequences than Shadowrun Returns does. Just being factual.

"Fallout 3" is piece of shit when compared with Shadowrun Returns in : story,setting,combat,atmosphere,music,writing. Just being factual.

Stinger

Arcane
The campaign isn't that well balanced, it's far too linear and the combat is a little too easy aside from a small handful of good encounters.

But the mechanics are asking for a campaign to take advantage of them and bring out their full potential. I can't help but like it for that alone. This is a game that will live or die based on the quality of the upcoming "official" and fan campaigns. I haven't played Life on Limb yet, heard good things about it but waiting for it to get more stable, but I hope we get more along the lines of that sort of more open-ended campaign rather than some generic combatfests.

But I enjoyed the game overall and for $15 it was a better purchase than almost all the new releases I'd foolishly bought lately.

Roxor's review is great and is very thorough in summing it up :bro:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom