Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Shadowrun Returns

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
That said, it seems neo-Codexers are all about form over content in reviews too, eh? :rpgcodex:

ehmm .. this is public for the whole internet, and will be read by a few thousand people in the next days. What's so bad about asking for proper formatting? Calling that superficial is a bit over the top don't you think??

I was being sarcastic. This isn't though: If you think the formatting is off and it really doesn't fit the standards you find fit for a Codex review, volunteer as formatting-gnome for RPG Codex Content. You can do all the work you want to.

Matrix, best in game? hahaohwow.jpg

I'm pretty sure Roxor was talking about the parts where you fight in the Matrix and the meat world at the same time.

Grinolf

Arcane
First, unless you are planning to play some sort of multiclass hybrid that probably won’t max anything, but can use every skill point available, there is absolutely no reason to play human.

That part are not true. Humans are optimal race for playing intelligence based character. But agree, that their blandess most likely prevent players from choosing them.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Matrix, best in game? hahaohwow.jpg

Lern2read:

Some of the best moments the game has to offer are the scenes featuring the Matrix

The Matrix is not the best part of the game, but the way it is used in some runs certainly is.

And mages aren't overpowered, at least both shamans and straight shooters are better than them.

Nicholo Novakowski, the mercenary mage engine of DOOM, disagrees with you :rpgcodex:

Wizfall

Cipher
So the human race is not worth it to chose?
The humans are very good as any other race because you have almost 0 interest to go higher than 9 in anything even if you minmax.
So don't worry at all.

catfood

AGAIN
Great review, but I believe you forgot to mention how annoying it is to not be able to exit combat mode until all the enemies on the map have been killed.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
"I simply enjoyed my time with the game and can't wait for the sequel."

Yeah, you can pretty much give up any pretense of trying to appear critical if Shadowrun Returns is the type of game you had in mind when you thought 'Kickstarter incline'.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
14997.jpg

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
By the way, Fallout 3 had more choices & consequences than Shadowrun Returns does. Just being factual.

oscar

Arcane
It's a charming game despite its flaws and rough state. Unless you're heavily impoverished I'd imagine you'll get your money's worth (and possibly a lot more depending on how the user-modules pan out).

If you're a Mondbluter perhaps wait for a sale and the release of some more challenging modules/DLC. If you're a story/atmosphere/writing-fag than this should scratch your itch.

Overall the game is much more like a series of PnP sessions with a focused GM than the open-world/non-linear type cRPG the Codex usually espouses. This isn't a new Troika-esque rpg but a 'good for what it is' snack in a time where we sadly can't be all too picky.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This isn't a new Troika-esque rpg but a 'good for what it is' snack in a time where we sadly can't be all too picky.
Perhaps, but if the prophecies are true and stuff like Wasteland 2 and Divinity:OS get released this year, I suspect Shadowrun will fade into nothingness, barely remembered by the end of the year, unless some really fantastic mod is made...

Rake

Arcane
By the way, Fallout 3 had more choices & consequences than Shadowrun Returns does. Just being factual.
More C&C means shit if all the rest is terrible. And F3 had 50 times the budget SR had.
SRR was a fun game. Not a classic RPG by any means, but it never pretented to be one. It was marketed as a spiritual successor to the SNES one, and an iOS game for "soccer dads" with limited time in their hands.
In my opinion it raises way above that.
But if you expected a Fallout full blown RPG with only1,2 million budget(especialy when they didn't even promished that), you are delusional.

CWagner

Augur
I suspect Shadowrun will fade into nothingness, barely remembered by the end of the year, unless some really fantastic mod is made...

While Life on a Limb is a bug-ridden mess right now, it seems to have potential for greatness if those get fixed.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Perhaps, but if the prophecies are true and stuff like Wasteland 2 and Divinity:OS get released this year, I suspect Shadowrun will fade into nothingness, barely remembered by the end of the year, unless some really fantastic mod is made...

If it stays like it is, yes. Right now I would not concentrate all hopes on the modders, because they can only fix what is there. The game requires major updates itself, because if the complexity of the saves is an indication, this game is (right now) designed to be a linear sequence of missions. All very fixable with a few months of extra work, I am just not sure they will do it.

MasPingon

Arcane
Don't want to be an ass but the layout of this review is terrible, you should edit the hell out of it. Otherwise, content wise, good job.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good review.

What ever may be said of the game on an individual level, criticism or praise, it does serve as a nice little appetizer for the more promising sounding titles to come (like Wasteland 2).

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
Yeah, even for 20 dollars, I don't want to spend that much on a game that amounts to a shallow, poorly executed, combat-centric game. If the review were about how amazing the combat and skills are, it'd be a no-brainer, but I just don't see the value here. What it sounds like to me is, "Well, the game is mostly combat, which isn't all that good, but... it's cheap!" Appreciate the review.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Don't want to be an ass but the layout of this review is terrible, you should edit the hell out of it. Otherwise, content wise, good job.
We don't really have a proper article layout. An article works like a forum post, basically.

I'm very back and forth on Shadowrun Returns. Overall I'd say it's fun in the same way a flash game can be fun. But as a 'proper RPG' it's quite bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom