Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG where you play somebody else's follower??

mondblut

Arcane
If I can't choose my own path through the game, fuck it and its developers, fuck them with an old rusty chainsaw.

No freedom of wandering = not an RPG. It's that simple.

Texas Red

Whiner
mondblut said:
If I can't choose my own path through the game, fuck it and its developers, fuck them with an old rusty chainsaw.

No freedom of wandering = not an RPG. It's that simple.

It could be just for the beginning. For example, in JE your character is an average Joe student whose day got ruined when something happened to the senior student. The average Joe needs brave the dungeons instead of him. At the end of the game when all the bad guys are dead, the senior student wakes up from his drunken coma, stumbles around and saves the world by accident since he's the chosen one.

nekkerbee

Novice
I've had an idea for a humorous "follower" rpg rattling around my brainbox for a while, but you're still definitely the primary character.

You play as the assistant/sidekick/whatev of a hero similar to Hercules, except he's a lazy drunken lout. You do all the work - running around, getting information and items, setting things up *just so* - so that the Hero can come along and do the ultra-heavy hitting for 10 seconds and "save the day." So you would do 99% of the work and receive no recognition for it, and your master would do the one thing you couldn't do because of his super-strength and get all the glory and acclaim.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sounds boring unless done in a funny way, like following a retarded noble while exploiting oportunities presented by his actions etc.

But I dont play games to be a folllower, in my fantasies I prefer the leading role. Not necessarily the chosen one though.

Zeus

Cipher
There's a PS3 game where you play a kid who is basically squire to a heroic knight. I forget the name ("White Knight Chronicles" maybe?) and there's probably a twist midway through, but at least the premise is that you're a follower and this other guy is the main character.

Zeus

Cipher
Yeah, it's a JRPG. I don't imagine there's much C&C of any type. It's just so rare to see that sort of storyline (even without the interactivity) that I thought I'd mention it.

Another one is Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, which casts you as a sort of B-team always following on the heels of the real Fellowship.

AnalogKid

Scholar
Years ago at a gaming convention, I entered the role-playing competition (AD&D). Got to the 2nd round after playing part of an all-halfling comando team, and the adventure cast all the players as intelligent magic items owned by an actual character (the DM). Each magic item had particular goals and personality quirks, and each player was to basically get the character to see the world its way.

It was reasonably fun, but in that particular case it eliminated all sense of the game system. In other words: there was no "game" left, just basically improv theatre.

I post this because I think lots of great ideas about social pressures and game-theory type competition end up being very, very poor games. It's hard to do well in real life with actual people, and it'd be just about impossible against computer AI.

I think it's a good idea as a kind of setting twist, but stripped of the flavor it would boil down to doing all the same kinds of missions one does in any RPG, but for the "master" instead of for a variety of "peasants in need" or whomever. The burden of FUN would still have to be borne by the gameplay itself, imo.

tl;dr: Cool as a setting idea, but poor as a gameplay concept.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Malakal said:
But I dont play games to be a folllower, in my fantasies I prefer the leading role. Not necessarily the chosen one though.
Do you also get pissed off when your character isn't heroic or epic enough?

denizsi

Arcane
For once, I'd like a main quest to involve having to join a party of VIP doing whatever you can to be accepted, spy out their activities to the quest-givers and cause a falling out between the head figures of the party to render them dysfunctional.

Mmmm, that sounded like Gollum.

Zeus

Cipher
denizsi said:
For once, I'd like a main quest to involve having to join a party of VIP doing whatever you can to be accepted, spy out their activities to the quest-givers and cause a falling out between the head figures of the party to render them dysfunctional.

No, Gollum's more like, "My precious! We wants it, we needs it!"

J1M

Arcane
I'd play a game in this style. In particular, the start of a game being like this makes a lot more sense than some NPC telling you that your character is the bestest person ever as they give you a tutorial.

denizsi

Arcane
Zeus said:
denizsi said:

No, Gollum's more like, "My precious! We wants it, we needs it!"

Not really.

Achilles

Arcane
WDeranged said:
Oblivion?

:mob:

That was the first thing that came to my mind as well. The main dude is Martin and you're pretty much the errand boy, but I guess Cloaked Figure is talking about a party RPG where you're not the party leader.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Mangoose said:
Malakal said:
Do you also get pissed off when your character isn't heroic or epic enough?

No as long as I can bad or evil enough, epic doesnt have to come into that. I simply do not like following others (plots too) for some reasons that do not involve my particular character.

Norfleet

Cloaked Figure said:
In just about every RPG that has been released, the PC is the big cheese leader of the party who calls all the shots and can tell anyone to piss off whenever they want.

What if somebody were to make an RPG where YOU play follower to some big shot and have to follow him around on his adventures.
Isn't this what Oblivion was all about?

The start (first section of the game, but it's a long game with a long first section) of Geneforge 5 (or whatever the last Geneforge was). You can choose any of the loyalist or rebel races and classes from previous games, this time there's only one starting point. At the start of the game you've woken up having been captured, mind-wiped, and had a metal device surgically implanted. Characters imply that you had been quite powerful before the mind-wipe (yes, ripoff, but PS:T was a while ago now), but the most noticeable thing is that you can now be 'compelled' by the head loyalist shaper of that region - he's one of the 'big 7' shaper council head honchos on the loyalist side, isn't as pacifist as one of them is, but is a lot less fundamentalist and more reasonable than some of the others (he isn't exterminating all intelligent creations, and the command tool he's implanted in you is also a way of allowing an intelligent creation to retain its intelligence while still guaranteeing loyalty). You're his servant until such a time that you can find a way to deactivate the device or kill him without him having the opportunity to compel you to stop.

CrimHead

Scholar
Alexandros said:
WDeranged said:
Oblivion?

:mob:

That was the first thing that came to my mind as well. The main dude is Martin and you're pretty much the errand boy, but I guess Cloaked Figure is talking about a party RPG where you're not the party leader.

Quest compass :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom