Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG with best spellcasting?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
:EpicPicardFacepalm:

Wolfus

Arcane
Eyeball said:
Elwro said:
I don't remember anything like that being in Anvil of Dawn.
The ANIMATION for drawing glowing runes in the air was in Anvil of Dawn, but the actual spellcasting consisted of clicking the spell's icon in the sidebar.

Arx Fatalis had the "draw your own runes thing." And it was awesome. Arx has the best spellcasting in any video game to date, period. People bitching about it need to practice more.

Yeah, my memory mixed it up.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
jancobblepot said:
I thought AD&D was only on videogames

kxGs2.jpg

PIK1P.jpg

eYV9I.jpg

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I bought a DM's guide off of ebay two weeks ago. It was the one with the big scimitar wielding demon on the front. It was pretty beat up: it looked ancient, well used, maybe even like it was in someones bathroom for 20 years, being read religiously everyday. But it was cheap, and buying one for $5 off of ebay was cheaper than digging mine out of storage.

After reading these posts, I feel like that book.

kofeur

Liturgist
Dungeon Master had a fun spell casting system, you had to chose the correct combination of runes.

Anvil of Dawn had some nice spells, but not a lof them 3-4 per element if I remember correctly

The mage character in the first lands of lore was the most interesting of the bunch

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Jaesun said:
JudasIscariot said:
Ultima 7: Part 2 - Serpent Isle allowed you to optionally eliminate reagents with the Ring of Reagents. Best ring EVER.

Fixed that there for you.

It has been a rather long time since I played the second part. My mistake.

At least I still remember what the location looked like where I found the Ring. It was a bunch of rocks inside a cave. You had to pixel hunt for a slightly greenish object.

I never understood why such a powerful item was just left lying around like it was trash. I don't recall a quest being there for it or any books mentioning it, either.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
JudasIscariot said:
Jaesun said:
JudasIscariot said:
Ultima 7: Part 2 - Serpent Isle allowed you to optionally eliminate reagents with the Ring of Reagents. Best ring EVER.

At least I still remember what the location looked like where I found the Ring. It was a bunch of rocks inside a cave. You had to pixel hunt for a slightly greenish object.

I never understood why such a powerful item was just left lying around like it was trash. I don't recall a quest being there for it or any books mentioning it, either.

The fight with the person guarding that ring wasn't exactly an easy thing by the way. And you knew exactly where the ring was, not using any walkthroughs or spoilers?

*cough*

Maybe you should refresh your memory again and play it. It's a fucking fantastic game. Better than the shit we get nowdays. ;)

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Jaesun said:
JudasIscariot said:
Jaesun said:
JudasIscariot said:

The fight with the person guarding that ring wasn't exactly an easy thing by the way. And you knew exactly where the ring was, not using any walkthroughs or spoilers?

*cough*

Maybe you should refresh your memory again and play it. It's a fucking fantastic game. Better than the shit we get nowdays. ;)

Well, when the game came out it was on a bajillion floppies so I don't think I would have had ready access to a walkthrough. I didn't know where the ring was. I recall just running around and doing my own thing and exploring any cave that I came across and finding it on accident. Like I said, something with a greenish hue caught my eye in a pile of rocks.

When I played Ultima 7 and part 2 I remember having to fight with Origin's weird insistence on extended or expanded memory and literally having to force the games to run by sheer will and dogged determination alone. No click and play during those days. :D

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
JudasIscariot said:
When I played Ultima 7 and part 2 I remember having to fight with Origin's weird insistence on extended or expanded memory and literally having to force the games to run by sheer will and dogged determination alone. No click and play during those days. :D

I STILL own my custom Ultima 7 floppy Boot disks for when I also played it back in the day. Thankfully now we have Exult or DOSBox. Man that game was a bitch to get going right heh.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Jaesun said:
I still to this day can't answer that Dragon's last riddle without looking it up. And I've taken many classes in statistics...

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
sgc_meltdown said:
Daemongar said:
After reading these posts, I feel like that book.

9/11 was 10 years ago and the first matrix movie was 12 years ago

Yeah, and UO came out in 14(!) years ago! I remember waiting for it for SOOO long, trying to be a beta tester, then finally playing it on my dial-up...

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Jaesun said:
JudasIscariot said:

I STILL own my custom Ultima 7 floppy Boot disks for when I also played it back in the day. Thankfully now we have Exult or DOSBox. Man that game was a bitch to get going right heh.

I still don't know how I managed to get the games running. I think my computer just gave up after I cussed at it loudly for three days straight :P

I miss my cloth map from the game. It was very, very useful and added to the immersion before immersion became a marketing line like it is today :D.

Speaking of Exult, the PSP version has the ability to bring up the runic alphabet on the fly so you can translate the runes for yourself which is great because I don't want to be whipping out a piece of paper while on the bus :D.

On topic:

Speaking of magic systems, I am not sure about reagent-based magic systems because all I can think about is having to trudge to that one place or twon in order to pick/buy the reagent I need that appears once every full moon. That creates a lot of unnecessary backtracking, imho.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the more esoteric magic systems ,used in RPGs. Why is there no love for voodoo? If you like reagent-based magic systems you can't go wrong with voodoo, or, at least, the popular description of it where one of the reagents is from your potential target itself (hair, skin, a piece of clothing...). You could even make a whole game based on voodoo: in order to hurt or kill your target you have to somehow get a piece of them. How you do this would be up to you. It would make the magic system difficult enough to be engaging but also rewarding since casting the spell, or curse, takes a lot of effort. I am no game designer so any ideas I have are just me talking out of my ass.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Fowyr said:
I've never actually played through an RPG as a spellcaster.
Looks like you never played any CRPG with a party.

Try both Ultima Underworlds for interesting magic system. Or Nox for mindless fun.

I suppose I should reiterate that - I've never played through a RPG with a main character as a spellcaster. For example, Planescape or Arcanum. I have however played RPGs with spellcasters in my party.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Planescape always warrants another playthrough. You have missed tons of things. And always will.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You gonna get raped.

Though i agree, i wish the lulz was kept to a minimum. Though the content is appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom