Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGCodex Minecraft Server

Muty said:
I enabled a 500x500 border around the center of the map so that we can get the new biomes when we move to 1.0.

That said I hope that you didn't built too many things in the nether. it got corrupted and I had to nuke it, no backups too.

Ah, I see. I did sort of have a shortcut portal and a cobblestone mini-fortress. Oh well. Can you make it so I can build around the first portal in the nether? There seem to be weird permissions around it at the moment. Other than that, the nether works fine for me.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Ok, Nuclear power blows massive chunks. To setup a 3 chamber reactor costs about 137 iron (plus incidentals). Of course, if you build a containment chamber to handle a worst-case scenario, you're talking reinforced stone which needs 1 iron per 8 blocks. My current setup has approx 800 blocks of reinforced stone or about 100 iron.

For all that, you produce 60 EU/t. Now it can only run for about half an hour with a 1 hour cooling period inbetween cycles. So every 90 minutes it produces 2,160,000 EU or 72k EU per min.

This compares with a solar setup of 60 cells which would also output 60 EU/t. That would cost 360 iron. Now night-time is every 10 mins and lasts for 10 mins so in 90 minutes, you really only have 45 mins of daylight in which you'd produce 3,240,000 EU - as much as a third more than nuclear. If you sleep to make the night go-away however, than of course you get the full 90 minutes and a whopping 6.4M EU - three times as much as a nuclear plant for 2.5 times as many resources.

A 60 cell setup only requires 6x10 tiles, a tiny area of space. A reactor takes up equivalent room or more if you build a containment chamber.

This means that just 20 solar cells would produce the same output over a 90 min period as nuclear does - assuming you tolerate night cycles. While a mere 10 solar cells would take up far less space and provide equivalent power if you simply sleep through every night.

Throw in the fart-assing around with designing the setup, the redstone wiring, the fact you have to manually start it and re-fuel it (and mining uranium in the first instance) and throw in the risk of a MASSIVE FUCKING EXPLOSION... when you compare it with solar which has no setup, no fart-assing around and ZERO risk - oh yeah, and GREATER POWER OUTPUT, than nuclear is a complete waste of time and effort.

Bahamut

Arcane
mojyog2.png

:lol:

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Ayup....fucking drama.

On the Minecraft modding scene...however...its the only place i DONT want to see drama...still...fun as hell seeing Flower Child acting like a tard time and time again.

Luzur

Good Sir
i am really creeped out a bit about Yogscast.

the level of fanboyism is almost at "stalk and kill my favorite star" heights.

i am prepared to see a vid on youtube how Simon or Lewis was found mutilated and/or raped in every hole (or new holes been made if the old ones got too loose) by a rabid Yogscast fan previous night in an alley in south London.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Dynamic map has been b0rked (no error message, but all black and no UI) for several days now.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Yeah I noticed, but I was waiting for an update for it, should be good now.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Its gonna be longer wait this time, bukkit is not enough. We'll have to wait for the other mods to update too and this will take time.

Good news is that the mc forge api already has an alpha version for 1.0 and modloadermp has a working version for 1.0 smp, which makes it possible for the other mods to get ported eventually. I would say at least 2-3 weeks more until we have some of them working in some form on another. I'll most probably start a new server test them out before moving the setup to this one.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Power (EU) works in some kind of weird way. I have an MSFU that my workshop is plugged into. If I turn that off... it doesn't actually "turn off" if there's power in the system at the point before.

So say you have a MFSU that's connected to a bunch of devices and you want to turn that MFSU off (so that it stops outputting power), it will stop outputting power that's held in its store BUT it will still "pass thru" power that is further up the line in the grid. So if there's an MFSU before it (which is say, connected directly to your nuclear reactor) than you have to turn that one off as well in order for power to stop flowing.

You pretty much have to turn everything off along the entire line, right back to the point the power is generated, in order to stop power going through. IE: There seems to be no way to actually turn shit off short of out-right disconnecting the wires. Makes the whole point of my control room rather pointless. :/

Also:

1. The dynmap is still fucked.

2. There are no roses in the entire 500x500 pixel limited start area, which means I can't do the wiring for the digital clock that I need to. Roses are necessary for 5 different colours of wires and I've got no way to get them. Planting bone has been a complete waste of bone as all I've ever gotten is those useless indigo flowers or more dandelions.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
DarkUnderlord said:
Power (EU) works in some kind of weird way. I have an MSFU that my workshop is plugged into. If I turn that off... it doesn't actually "turn off" if there's power in the system at the point before.

So say you have a MFSU that's connected to a bunch of devices and you want to turn that MFSU off (so that it stops outputting power), it will stop outputting power that's held in its store BUT it will still "pass thru" power that is further up the line in the grid. So if there's an MFSU before it (which is say, connected directly to your nuclear reactor) than you have to turn that one off as well in order for power to stop flowing.

You pretty much have to turn everything off along the entire line, right back to the point the power is generated, in order to stop power going through. IE: There seems to be no way to actually turn shit off short of out-right disconnecting the wires. Makes the whole point of my control room rather pointless. :/

Also:

2. There are no roses in the entire 500x500 pixel limited start area, which means I can't do the wiring for the digital clock that I need to. Roses are necessary for 5 different colours of wires and I've got no way to get them. Planting bone has been a complete waste of bone as all I've ever gotten is those useless indigo flowers or more dandelions.

I didn't even know that you can turn the storage devices off. Sounds like a bug to me, I'll check the IC forums.

Dynmap is fucked yeah, shitty java crashing all the time. I'm trying to figure out whats the problem atm.

I planted some roses in the flat area in front of my place. I have to check why they aren't spawining ub the grid.

deus101

DarkUnderlord said:

Also:

There are some mini-mods for IC that have breaker blocks.

But what you could do is setup a breaker to dissconnect the wire and a deployer to deploy a wire again.

Also...Muty...just spawn some fucking roses for us.

(edit slowpost)

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Luzur said:
and i saw like hills of them when i was exploring way out to the northeast, past the Fortress.
Yes, North-East beyond the current border. I think the issue is there's no "rose friendly biome" within the 500x500 tile spawn area limitation.

deus101 said:
But what you could do is setup a breaker to dissconnect the wire and a deployer to deploy a wire again.
Hmmm... I might try that. I did think of pistons pushing wires but pistons don't push wires. :/

Ideally I'd have a storage bank of MFSU's that all my power goes into and then the ability to direct that all around as desired but I haven't figured out a good way of doing that that's worked.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
DarkUnderlord said:
So say you have a MFSU that's connected to a bunch of devices and you want to turn that MFSU off (so that it stops outputting power)

Why would you want to do that?

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
So I can keep power only to what I want to have power - so if someone's running around my TelNet grid but I need power in my Mass Fabricator, I'll have it and I can recharge the TelNet grid after I'm finished.

Also, HAVING A CONTROL ROOM IS AWESOME.

Also, what would be more awesome would be a UU-Matter recipe that made roses. Can we make our own custom ones of those? That'd suit me just fine - otherwise I need about 128 roses spawned in a box near me.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
What about the terraformer, that doesn't generate flowers either?

Oh and you can get red roses from bonemeal so stop whining and kill those skeletons. :smug:

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Turisas said:
What about the terraformer, that doesn't generate flowers either?
i dunno. Which place is yours? I'll put the terraformer there and find out what the "Flatificator" actually does. :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

Turisas said:
Oh and you can get red roses from bonemeal so stop whining and kill those skeletons. :smug:

Earlier said:
I've already dropped 64 Bonemeal all over the 500x500 locked in map area we have and gotten nothing but dandelion and indigo flowers. :/

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Hmm could be some server-side mod screwing around with it, then. It does work on SP, roses are just rarer than the other flower types. Looks like the cultivator might do the trick too tho (the wiki of course doesn't go into detail, just says it'll grow plants).

And yeah do try the flatificator on the sea and report what happens. :smug: :smug: :smug:

deus101

QUICK SOMEONE GO TO MY BASEMENT! AND SHUT OF THE IRON ENGINES! I CANT LOG INTO MINECRAFT FOR SOME REASON!

Luzur

Good Sir
so thats what you meant with the PM? LOL i thought you where trolling.

anyway i cant since i need to downgrade minecraft.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom