Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG's for the iPhone

I've lurked a long time, so whatever.

Anyway, I just broke down and got an iPhone. Anyone know of any Codex-approved(TM) RPG's for the iPhone? I found Perilar but it, well, is less than good.

I would also accept good turn-based strategy games. Ports of the older Ultima, Wizardry, or M&M games would be ideal. Bard's Tale clones would also be good. JRPG's need not apply.

I don't see any way to see how good a game is before spending the $5 or whatever on it, so any personal experience you could share would be valued.

If anyone is interested I can give a short review of Perilar in return.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Regarding [url=http://www.gamespot.com/mobile/adventure/mightandmagic/review.html:2crvye83]Might and Magic for Mobile said:
For instance, one area is blocked by iron gates, and ... to get through, you must move Kayu to the first gate and then have her transform into her fog form. However, since she can't move in that form, you must use Ewan's wind power to blow her through the crevices of the gate.This is surprisingly interesting stuff.
Really? Sounds pretty 80's cliche and :roll: to me.

Damon Brown also said:
The electricity-shooting zombies only fire in the cardinal directions, so hitting them at an angle is the key ... the huge ogres are more difficult ... they spin their maces whenever you get close. Initially, you must toss a torch at them to knock them down, and then you can attack them while they're dizzy. Later, magic like Ewan's wind tornadoes can disable them. The ability to make little decisions like these gives the game a sense of freedom of choice, even though the adventure itself is linear.
That sounds like the opposite of freedom of choice to me - instead it's one or a small number of button press/tactical combo alternatives that are the correct solution to pass an enemy. It's unsophisticated old-school challenge creation, like having the player learn the correct pattern in which to jump barrels in Donkey Kong. Give me a modern, truly sophisticated AI, physics engine and enemies with a substantial, stat-based definition within the game (i.e. not just a motion pattern with an "off button" the player has to figure out, making combat not much different than finding the right switch to open a door) any day. Until mobile gaming can do that, it's bland and behind, period.

Damon Brown also said:
The items are a hearty laundry list of RPG staples, like ... hearts for a longer health bar.
How very Nintendo.

Damon Brown also said:
Ewan, in particular, finds useful weapons along the way, like iron boots that allow him to walk on spikes. The grappling hook is the item that is the most fun to use, because it can be used Indiana Jones-style to reach higher places and traverse bottomless pits.
Oooh, items to unlock new areas! Amazing! Again, very Nintendo. (And since when are boots "weapons?") If you like early Zelda- or Castlevania-type games or retro gaming generally, that's great - M & MM might be for you.

But otherwise, this game will feel like an incredibly dated throwback to a time before the industry started doing really great things via games like Deus Ex.

Wyrmlord said:
http://www.gamespot.com/mobile/adventure/mightandmagic/review.html

I don't think this is available for the iPhone; at least if it is I can't find it.

From the description I am skeptical anyway - looks more like adventure than classic RPG. Probably has about as much to do with the M&M series as the recent Bard's Tale game had to do with the original series.

Maia

Novice
Well, I suggest trying "Reign of Swords" free demo. Seems to be a fun turn-based tactical game. If the retarded iTunes allowed me to buy an App with a gift card, I'd have already got the full game, since I liked that demo. But for whatever reason, if one is not in the US, one is out of luck with the gift cards.

Then there are JRPG-like turn-based games: "Arvale", "Vay", etc., which don't have any demos.

"Imprisoned" looks like an interesting combination of an adventure and a turn-based RPG as well. Sadly, also no demo.

Oh, and I agree about "Perilar". Totally soulless, pointless and a PITA to play.

"Frotz" is a free text adventure app. I have missed the text adventure era and am currently sampling it. Pretty entertaining so far.

Wish they'd port more old CRPG and adventure classics over. Gold Box games, Ultimas, Wizardries, etc.

Maia

Novice
So, nobody here got the "Quest" yet? It looks like Dagerfall (sans randomness)/ Arena done right.

I am currently having tons of funs with the "PuzzleQuest", but I doubt that it could ever aspire to Codex-approval...

1eyedking

Erudite
I wouldn't recommend Oblivion.

The bloom drains battery like a crack whore sucks ***** dry.

(That should more than make it for my quota of daily vulgarity)

Balor

Arcane
RPG? On an Iphone?
That's even less likely then finding one on a console, if you ask me.
I mean semi-decent RPG.

Luzur

Good Sir
Wyrmlord said:
http://www.gamespot.com/mobile/adventure/mightandmagic/review.html

dunno why they called it Might and Magic, i have both on my phone and i didnt see one thing that reminds me of either Enroth, Xeen or New World Computing.
"Frotz" is a free text adventure app. I have missed the text adventure era and am currently sampling it. Pretty entertaining so far.

Wish they'd port more old CRPG and adventure classics over. Gold Box games, Ultimas, Wizardries, etc.

the Zork series would do well on a phone, or Suspended from Infocom.

and i agree with the classical RPG.

Crawfish

Novice
I've tried almost all of the available iPhone "RPGs". Most are pretty horrible.

The best of the games currently available is definitely The Quest. It feels very much like Daggerfall translated into a turn-based combat game, with a tile map and 90-degree-rotation and step movement. I have a lot of pleasant memories of the early Wizardries, Might and Magics, and Bard's Tales, as well as enjoying the more recent Etrian Odyssey games, so this format of presenting the game is something I'm very comfortable with. Like Might and Magic, much of the game takes place by exploring a large number of outdoor zones, rather than being held entirely within a single dungeon/tower.

The character development system allows players to either select a base class or create their own by selecting six major skills from a decent-sized pool. The other skills are still usable, but cost twice as much to advance. The skills are modified by typical attributes such as strength and intelligence. As characters gain levels, players are given five attribute points and ten skill points to allocate, and the skills that they used most frequently during the level also increase a little bit on their own. Skills are capped at twice their base attribute, conveying advantage to players who create focused characters, specializing on skills based around one or two attributes.

The alchemy and item enchanting systems are also pretty similar to what was seen in the Elder Scrolls games. Unlike the most recent Elder Scrolls game, however, your character's race and gender actually does impact dialog options and the available ways to resolve quests. There are even some choices and consequences in the game, where many quests have multiple conflicting resolutions and the completion of one quest makes the player fail competing ones.

It has a lot of area to explore for a portable game, especially if you're a completist. I'd guess most people would take around 40 hours on the game.

The setting is generic fantasy, but at least it's a more Sword and Sorcery flavored form of fantasy than the Tolkien-derived high fantasy games that are so common. There are no elves or halflings to play. The quests are generally more interesting and morally gray than is seen in a lot of other RPGs. There are quests involving infidelity, murder of relatives and lovers, political and religious corruption, incest and demonic compacts. The setting feels a bit gritty, more like those found in Fritz Leiber's "Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser" or R.E. Howard's "Conan" stories than those found in the politically correct and family-friendly high fantasy that is much more common now. Again, this reminded me a bit of the feeling that Daggerfall invoked, though The Quest wouldn't be considered as "mature" as The Witcher, as it is less over the top and there's no nudity or anything of the like.

I'm not overly happy with the control scheme and user interface. Movement is controlled either with an inconvenient swiping motion or awkwardly arranged buttons. This is especially true if you attempt to play the game in landscape mode. Many people have noted the poor controls in their reviews and on iPhone forums. The developers have commented that they plan to introduce new optional control schemes in the next release, so hopefully this will be addressed soon.

The game "plays nice" with other iPhone features, allowing you to listen to your iPod music or podcasts while playing and autosaving conveniently when you receive a call or text. You can immediately exit and return to the game at any time, even mid-combat, without having to take any additional steps such as saving or going through menus, making it convenient for the iPhone's highly distractible environment.

I wouldn't say it's my favorite game of all time, but it's certainly my favorite iPhone game at this time. It's definitely worth buying if you have an iPhone and have been toying with the idea of picking up an RPG for it.

mondblut

Arcane
Luzur said:
The Quest looks really good, liek a mix of Might and Magic and Daggerfall.

to bad its Iphone only.

Wut? It is available for all moderately powerful mobile platforms, from PalmOS 5 to Windows Mobile to Symbian. There is even a PC version.

I am running it fine on an old PalmOS5-powered Sony Clie.

Crawfish

Novice
Luzur said:
The Quest looks really good, liek a mix of Might and Magic and Daggerfall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0KMay1T5sA

to bad its Iphone only.
They also have a PC version, as well as versions for other mobile devices. The game is downloadable and purchaseable from their website at www.redshift.hu

Personalyy, I'd imagine it wouldn't be as impressive on the PC. The resolution and UI is designed for a much smaller form factor. But it is there if you just want to check it out. There's even a ~5 hour demo for the PC version that you can download and test out.

getter77

Augur
Seems they'll bring over a spiffed up Gold version of their Legacy game to iPhone if The Quest sells well enough.

That Dungeoned game looks kinda nifty as well for something totally different...like DROD: Tendry or LoLo or some such. No Windows versions for those as well.

Also, all their games seem to be half price at the moment until the end of Feb if you scroll down a bit past the News page about Quest for iphone.

Luzur

Good Sir
ive tried it out and it was very enjoyable, reminded me alot of World of Xeen and Realms of Arkania (the walk around town part)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
NWN had some sort of portable version. Don't think it was actually an iPhone, though...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom