Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with base / stronghold defense

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date

Deleted member 7219

I'm currently playing Dead State and I'm wondering how many other RPGs are out there with good base / stronghold mechanics, and whether there are parts of the game where you can defend your base against opponents. Maybe the outcome of the fight depends on how much care you took to build your base to begin with, and choices you make during the battle (who defends which area, etc).

I can think of NWN2, the OC is criticised by most people here but I thought the Crossroad Keep mechanics were pretty good, and during the battle you can order your companions around (although I don't think it is possible for any of them to actually be killed...)

Is NWN2 alone in this or are there others? I will allow non-RPGs to be mentioned, if they are good enough. I hear BG2 had a stronghold, but was it ever attacked? DA:I is the most recent example of an RPG with a base, but nothing ever happens to it (I don't think that is a spoiler).

One of the things I like the idea of is recruiting NPCs and having them take on a specific role in the defense of the base. All can come out alive on the other side, some may die, depending on who you choose and how well you've trained them. Mass Effect 2's Suicide Mission was good at this. It wasn't a stronghold defense, just the opposite, but it would be fantastic to have something like that in a complex RPG (looking at you Vault Dweller).

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
DA: Awakening has this. There's not a ton of upgrading or customization to it but what you can do with it determines how well it survives the final battle and (I think) whether the companions you leave behind to defend it survive. You'll also sometimes be presented with people who have various problems or you'll need to decide the fate of someone and what you decide will affect some of the epilogue slides.

Deleted member 7219

DA: Awakening has this. There's not a ton of upgrading or customization to it but what you can do with it determines how well it survives the final battle and (I think) whether the companions you leave behind to defend it survive. You'll also sometimes be presented with people who have various problems or you'll need to decide the fate of someone and what you decide will affect some of the epilogue slides.

Ah yes, forgot about that one. Can't see BioWare ever making another game like DA:O or DA:O A

naossano

Cipher
Not actually RPG, but i can think of the Jagged Alliance series, in which you have to defend the sectors you took with clearly identified characters and a trained militia.

There is also Dungeon Of the Endless, which isn't an RPG, and doesn't have a proper base, but have an interesting concept of a limited number of specific characters defending nodes agains't enemies coming from the dark.

Tigranes

Arcane
NWN2 Crossroads Keep is superb, yes. Storm of Zehir doesn't exactly have such a stronghold but many such mechanics drive the trade gameplay that is central to it. I still have a soft spot for NWN2 OC just because, while being utterly generic for the most part, it gave us the Trial and the Keep which are almost unparalleld in how 'properly' they tried to do those things.

Expeditions: Conquistador had a little bit of it, I think.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
In Storm of Zehir you don't actually defend your stronghold from an invasion (as in NWN2 OC), but rather it acts as an upgradeable hub from which your mercantile empire can be expanded and defended.

Quests also appear in the hub as a result of progression and opening trade routes expands merchant inventory from within the hub. You can also acquire special Feats by virtue of your hub, and even backroll a new transportation mechanic.

SoZ is fairly monocled in this respect.

As for BG2, it sort of gets invaded by the butthurt Roenall but the actual battle is nothing to write home about. Strongholds were simply tacked on in BG2, they were never integral to game-play.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
1. Project Zomboid has some alluring stronghold mechanics, but the game itself is currently raw to almost unplayable extent. You can watch this from 4.30 - the guy built it all himslef.

I have no idea how did he manage to play that long without save corruptions.

2. Mount and Blade, obviously.

3. Konung series Forget it. Russian rpgs must die, even if they actually implement village building/managing/protecting mechanics.

laclongquan

Arcane
Silent Storm Sentinels has one single base defense map. It can be an ass rape if you mercenary are not great, and even then you need a few restart before you can get it right.

JA2 1.13 third of gameplay is to defend your city from that major counter attack, isnt it?

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Silent Storm Sentinels has one single base defense map. It can be an ass rape if you mercenary are not great, and even then you need a few restart before you can get it right.

JA2 1.13 third of gameplay is to defend your city from that major counter attack, isnt it?

The counterattack in Drassen. You can actually have more of these, if you fiddle with the editor settings. Unless you are a tactical god or simply cheat, there's very little chance to survive this in 1.13.

Sentinels are awesome. Much better than vanilla SS (which was also really good). The economy aspect and racking up the difficulty meter, really helped this game a lot.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
This is one of those threads that triggers me about the site moderation. I make this thread about Monster Variety, it gets dumped to General Gaming, this guy makes a thread about Tower Defence games and the posts get brofisted by the mods. Yeah, I don't care what people do with threads, mine or anyone else's, it's all just tomorrow's fish and chip wrappings, as they say, it's just difficult to understand what the site wants when Monsters are rejected but Tower Defence mechanics are endorsed. Is it a case of promoting shite so that the site has a future of shite games to be relevantly critical of? That will happen anyway, no need to encourage it...

Anyway, here you go mate, hundreds of thousands of Tower Defence games for ya:

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=tower defence games

DraQ

Arcane
This is one of those threads that triggers me about the site moderation. I make this thread about Monster Variety, it gets dumped to General Gaming, this guy makes a thread about Tower Defence games and the posts get brofisted by the mods. Yeah, I don't care what people do with threads, mine or anyone else's, it's all just tomorrow's fish and chip wrappings, as they say, it's just difficult to understand what the site wants when Monsters are rejected but Tower Defence mechanics are endorsed. Is it a case of promoting shite so that the site has a future of shite games to be relevantly critical of? That will happen anyway, no need to encourage it...

:butthurt:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

Dude, read the title.
RPGs with base / stronghold defense

laclongquan

Arcane

The counterattack in Drassen. You can actually have more of these, if you fiddle with the editor settings. Unless you are a tactical god or simply cheat, there's very little chance to survive this in 1.13.

Sentinels are awesome. Much better than vanilla SS (which was also really good). The economy aspect and racking up the difficulty meter, really helped this game a lot.

The initial harvesting in vanilla Silent Storm gave us a variety of weapons right at start, so it cheapen the process of doing random encounters to get more weapons. We still need to do it but it's not as urgent as before.

Silent Storm Sentinels hit us with the bill for hiring... It's like a bucket of ice cold water.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Mount & Blade is a single-player, action-oriented role-playing game without any fantasy elements, which takes place in a medieval land named Calradia. The game features a sandbox gameplay style, in which there is no storyline present."

Project Zomboid is an open worldsurvival horrorvideo game in alpha stage... The game itself features three modes, survival mode, sandbox, and last stand mode.

You say they are RPGs, they are sold as RPGs, but I'll be fucked if I can see why they're RPGs...

The feature is rarely implemented because it's not an RPG feature... dur...

The whole point of RPGs is exploration and discovery and seeking out the elusive bad guy, not sitting on ur ass waiting for the bad guy to find you... *multiple facepalms*

Xeon

Augur
State of Decay I think has a similar way of building a base and help people survive but it kinda needs more work to be fun.

Mount and Blade is pretty good, man, You build an army and improve the defenses of your castles and cities but it all mostly depends on how many troops you station in the base, and management is very basic. hopefully it improves in the sequel.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Mount & Blade is a single-player, action-oriented role-playing game without any fantasy elements, which takes place in a medieval land named Calradia. The game features a sandbox gameplay style, in which there is no storyline present."

Project Zomboid is an open worldsurvival horrorvideo game in alpha stage... The game itself features three modes, survival mode, sandbox, and last stand mode.

You say they are RPGs, they are sold as RPGs, but I'll be fucked if I can see why they're RPGs...

The feature is rarely implemented because it's not an RPG feature... dur...

The whole point of RPGs is exploration and discovery and seeking out the elusive bad guy, not sitting on ur ass waiting for the bad guy to find you... *multiple facepalms*

Something's ain't right in your head if you can't recognize an rpg in M&B. Oh, well, your loss.

PZ is just another rouguelike with interesting ideas. Still raw.

Both of them have more exploration than any popamole corridor "rpgs" that are popular these days. As is already mentioned NWN 2. C'mon, tell me it's not an rpg, it lacks exploration, or that Crossroad Keep was poorly implemented.

Anyway, who are you to judge what's "rpg feature" and what's not? Fortresses are perfectly fine with me, if the setting allows them.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
well... BG2 did have stronghold defense, the last part of De'Arnise keep storyline, even though by the time you reach it you will roflstomp the attackers with ease.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom