Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rules of the Codex - Enhanced Edition, Director's Cut (2013)

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's more the principle and how it impacts discussions.

For example, in the Obsidian thread there was a multi-page discussion of the development troubles of Fallout 1 and them bleeding into Fallout 2. Roguey or someone else linked an interview with Tim Caine or one of the principles that was either done by the Codex, or profiled in a news post. Either way, there was a news post about this interview a decade+ ago.

It was an interesting, long form interview. I replied to it, bumping it so that others could see it and my post was deleted edit: retardo'd (link). That's a thread that I expect people would be interested in.

But the principle is that I shouldn't have to defend this kind of stuff. I'm not spamming old posts, and the necro post in tard land was highlighting some great proto-prosper work.

All of that is in-line with general codex norms (Taluntain knows what I'm talking about, man loves norms). Given my posts aren't spam, and there's no rule against this, I wanted a clarification in case it's just a power tripping mod.

Last edited:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Long story short, the mods here have a bit of a discretionary power in how they handle various issues. And this varies from one mod to another and not every single guideline and policy is written down and set in stone. Now whether necroing is big enough of an issue for DU to bother making a rule set in stone for it, I don't know. If he doesn't bother to respond, probably not.

For the record, on my forums I don't have a problem with people necroing old threads as long as the response is relevant and not just a shit post with no substance. But I don't do this kind of moderation here so my stance on this doesn't negate that of any other mods.

agris

Arcane
Patron
and not every single guideline and policy is written down and set in stone

yeah, i'm not looking for a declaration or a new rule to be written. just a clarification, which hopefully induces some mod to knock it off, is really all i'm after.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's Infinitron's official stance as the guy in charge of News that you never bump an old news thread for any reason. If you want to respond to something, quote the post and make the reply in RPGD. I don't care either way, but that's how he feels about it. :M

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
That mod was me, and I Retardo'd your retarded necro because all you said in it was "great video, aged like fine wine" to a thread that had been made something like ten years ago.

Don't do that again.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I shouldn't have to explain this to you but the practice of "necroing" threads is one that many online communities either frown upon or outright disallow.

The reasons why are rather subtle, but applicable here. We just don't like it. Bringing old threads up from the depths can sometimes mislead people into thinking that thread's content is current, or it can confusingly contradict much newer content, or otherwise just "muck up the works".

It's not against the rules, per se, but, as Taluntain said, allowing it or not is a case-by-case basis and is discretionary. My discretion, in this case, is that your bumping of that old thread was retarded and unnecessary. You had nothing insightful to add and thus it got treated as it did.

Anything else?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just stating my stance here, but if I'm aware of an old thread that needs to be necro'd, and with good cause, I add this to it:

:necro:

And then add in the proper content, with context.

It doesn't happen that much nowadays, which may explain the friction going on here, but I'm just pointing out that there exists A method of doing it right... at least one that hasn't been shut down yet.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I don't care about necromancy tbh. I mean it's a forum, who gives a
shit if someone replies to an old thing. Anyone with half a brain can figure out it's not new shit.

But by Christ your necro better be super fucking relevant. People who necro just to say "lol me too" can die in a fire.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm no longer a necromancer cuz the gnome merchant guild convinced me that Golems are superior. Also, undead slaves tends to disobey you and the gnome merchant guild hates them as they devaluate the value of their half orc slaves. Jokes aside, I don't see why reanimating old posts is a bad thing in many forums.

f2a

Novice
I might have missed it skimming them, but I suppose it should be added to the Rules that there is some kind of waiting period for changing avatars and posting on profiles, too.

Codex Year of the Donut
Remember to practice digital identity hygiene, men.

Don't share any information and keep it all separate, don't use the same username for more than one site, don't use the same password more than once

A horse of course

I don't care about necromancy tbh. I mean it's a forum, who gives a
shit if someone replies to an old thing. Anyone with half a brain can figure out it's not new shit.

But by Christ your necro better be super fucking relevant. People who necro just to say "lol me too" can die in a fire.

Why is there a line break between "a" and "shit"?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
JarlFrank himself does not blame me for what happened to him. He knows I'm not the one who took the issue off-site.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom