Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Rumor] Bioware to get Warhammer 40k licence

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
GW doesn't retcon, GW uses its fluff like a crate of lego bricks. Sometimes they chuck the blue ones out and sometimes they put them back in, but they never truly retcon anything. Tzeentchean schemes are a wonderful excuse.

I take it you haven't heard of MATT WAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD's new Necron?
The got turned into Tomb Kings in Space, didn't they. I actually didn't read it though, so I don't know how much it fucks with previous fluff.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
GW doesn't retcon, GW uses its fluff like a crate of lego bricks. Sometimes they chuck the blue ones out and sometimes they put them back in, but they never truly retcon anything. Tzeentchean schemes are a wonderful excuse.

The got turned into Tomb Kings in Space, didn't they. I actually didn't read it though, so I don't know how much it fucks with previous fluff.
Necrons used to be soulless automatons in service of the C'tan gods, striving only to annihilate all life. Now they've in fact imprisoned the C'tan and turned them into shards so they can control them in battle.

Tytus

Arcane

Necrons used to be soulless automatons in service of the C'tan gods, striving only to annihilate all life. Now they've in fact imprisoned the C'tan and turned them into shards so they can control them in battle.

Yeah, I was confused when after several years I read about Necrons with feelings and desires...

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That sounds suspiciously like an incline over the previous lol C'Tan did everything lore.

Random

Arcane
Patron
To be honest, the fluff of Warhammer 40k is nothing special. The only good thing about it is that it's such a huge universe that virtually anything can happen. Unfortunately, Bioware is almost certain to poke all kinds of fucking holes in it by just doing what they do best - creating soppy, shitty romances with bullshit character types (xenos, warrior women of faith) and boring characterization that fails in every regard to make you care about characters.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I really hope Bioware makes this. This will be the greatest unintentional 40k spoof ever.
Not to mention this way we could troll not only Biodrones but 40k fandom as well about the fact a fighting game has better writing than their pet favourite.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This is more than likely false. They probably got the WH40K mixed up with the now announced Star Wars game.

Alex

Arcane
To be honest, the fluff of Warhammer 40k is nothing special. The only good thing about it is that it's such a huge universe that virtually anything can happen. Unfortunately, Bioware is almost certain to poke all kinds of fucking holes in it by just doing what they do best - creating soppy, shitty romances with bullshit character types (xenos, warrior women of faith) and boring characterization that fails in every regard to make you care about characters.

Nowadays it is more like virtually only war can happen. It used to be a very diverse setting with a lot of humor, but nowadays you can't even have a Blood Bowl 40k team show up without incurring the wrath of lore purists.

chubs

Novice
Of all the things for bioware to rape, why 40k? Wasn't starwars enough? Hoping this rumor is not true.

chubs

Novice
Of all the things for bioware to rape, why 40k? Wasn't starwars enough?

Nigger, please. After all George Luca$ himself did to Star Wars (well, maybe not personally, but through Luca$ Licen$ing), what Bio has done was merely mildly discomforting.
True enough. I'd rather see almost any other developer take on 40k than see bioware take a shit on it. The IP is a personal favorite of mine. We should get more quality 40k video games, not less.

waywardOne

Arcane
To be honest, the fluff of Warhammer 40k is nothing special.
It was great until the late 90's. There was a lot of subtle and referential humor mixed in with the superserious grimdark shit. It was always popamole, but it didnt pretend it wasn't.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Nigger, please. After all George Luca$ himself did to Star Wars (well, maybe not personally, but through Luca$ Licen$ing), what Bio has done was merely mildly discomforting.
True enough. I'd rather see almost any other developer take on 40k than see bioware take a shit on it. The IP is a personal favorite of mine. We should get more quality 40k video games, not less.

I actually share this sentiment. I like 40k, and Bio would do terribad things to the setting. On the other hand, much like Luca$ harmed SW many times more than Bio did, GW themselves have already harmed both 40k and WFB in ways unimaginable to Gaider or the Hamburgess.

chubs

Novice

I actually share this sentiment. I like 40k, and Bio would do terribad things to the setting. On the other hand, much like Luca$ harmed SW many times more than Bio did, GW themselves have already harmed both 40k and WFB in ways unimaginable to Gaider or the Hamburgess.
Yeah.. the necron/c 'tan retcon and draigo immediately pops to mind.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.

As I understand it, games workshop has sold the license to 3 different developers. But rumors are rumors so fk knows whats going on, all we know for sure is that 10 plastic models the size of a finger cost a fortune.

Kirtai

Augur
all we know for sure is that 10 plastic models the size of a finger cost a fortune.
The prices are absurd.

Thinking about it, they must just love how fast 3D printers are developing. I wonder how they're going to cope.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Amusingly one time when I was younger I asked a store rep about the prices. Got a long lecture about oil prices.
They must have some kind of special booklet covering various standardized forms of bullshit you can use to bullshit your way out of the question, and diversionary tactics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom