Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
15min of gameplay from Infinite Wealth:

The closer to the release date this game gets, the more sure I become I'm not going to get it day 1.

1699348918950.png

A tranny? Say it ain't so, Ryu Ga Gotoku.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

RGG has been sporting gay flags on their social media for some time now. As for trannies, they've been part of the Yakuza games for years - initially they were passed off a joke meme, like the bearded lady bartender, but now they're just there. Not acknowledged, just quietly inserted.

But that's not my concern, my concern is to what extents they are willing to compromise the setting. I know that a lot of people had a problem with Haruka and the way she grew up to be 'little miss easy-story-hook', going back to even the orphanage. I would argue a relative consistency was maintained even up to Y6 (which did take me significant time to get used to).

I don't know what's going on now. Departing the fiction from Japan entirely is a very hard pill to swallow.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

RGG has been sporting gay flags on their social media for some time now. As for trannies, they've been part of the Yakuza games for years - initially they were passed off a joke meme, like the bearded lady bartender, but now they're just there. Not acknowledged, just quietly inserted.

But that's not my concern, my concern is to what extents they are willing to compromise the setting. I know that a lot of people had a problem with Haruka and the way she grew up to be 'little miss easy-story-hook', going back to even the orphanage. I would argue a relative consistency was maintained even up to Y6 (which did take me significant time to get used to).

I don't know what's going on now. Departing the fiction from Japan entirely is a very hard pill to swallow.
people who enjoy ichiban are used to hard balls in their mouth

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Unlikely, Ichiban Confections doesn't make jawbreakers.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Unlikely, Ichiban Confections doesn't make jawbreakers.
sorry I was implying they're as gay as their game

Modron

Arcane
Maxie only plays the straightest of games on his nintendo switch listen and learn.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I've played Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1 and 2, and I'm almost finished with Yakuza: LaD. These games are being created and/or ported to PC faster than I can play them. My favorite entry thus far is Yakuza 0. What should I play after Y: LaD? Judgment?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing the games in English...
:updatedmytxt:

The fact that they are even wasting time and money to make a dub in the first place is the issue. They are directly catering to the people you are disparaging. They are continuing their downward trajectory of pandering to the Western casual audience. I don't play them dubbed, I don't want them dubbed, but apparently you will update your .txt over people who think it's shit? Weird.

Ivan

Arcane

The fact that they are even wasting time and money to make a dub in the first place is the issue. They are directly catering to the people you are disparaging. They are continuing their downward trajectory of pandering to the Western casual audience. I don't play them dubbed, I don't want them dubbed, but apparently you will update your .txt over people who think it's shit? Weird.
it's the whining

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Yakuza 0 ruined the series. I much more prefer the days where we had to beg Sega to release the games in the west.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Don't be a mongo. I know that you don't play them dubbed. The updatedmy.txt was just a joke on how bad that shit is. I don't know anyone in this thread who plays dubbed.

While it can be seen as a waste to dub the games, we live in a time where games on general simply do not sell as well as they did in Japan. Meanwhile, the western sales are growing. In the end, they are a company, and profit is all they care about. Now, if they removed the JP voice acting, that would be a different scenario. If you're not on a Nintendo system in Japan, you will never sell as well as the PS3 era.

Yakuza: Like A Dragon was the most successful game in the series, internationally. A lot of people want it dubbed. Ishn! was not dubbed, and it sold poorly (I would have to assume). That has been the case for many Japanese games, where fans want dubs. Do I care about English language? No. Does it make sense for some companies to have it? Yes.

Also, and this is not aimed at you specifically, Infinite Wealth is not a Hawaii only game. Expect to explore Japan, too.

In unrelated news: Like A Dragon Gaiden is out now. I ordered the physical version of that with some other Asian Region only physical editions, so I'll play next year.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't buy Ishin because of the western pandering with cringe e-celebs being shoved into the game and replacing the character models with ones from 0/7 rubbed me the wrong way.

Gaiden looks like a budget game and is "Kiryu's Last Game 3" Too expensive for what it is at the moment tbqh.

Hopefully they are putting most of their attention on RGG8 and improving the RPG systems and combat.

Jinn

Arcane
That motherfucker will never be Kiryu. Fuck whoever is doing Ichiban too. Terrible.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Meanwhile, the western sales are growing.

It is what it is. SEGA/ATLUS ended up self-censoring in P5 due to western pressure.

Now that games are selling more in the west, more and more Japanese game gonna be "globalized", especially AAA games

It is just what it is

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It is what it is. SEGA/ATLUS ended up self-censoring in P5 due to western pressure.

Now that games are selling more in the west, more and more Japanese game gonna be "globalized", especially AAA games

It is just what it is

Incorrect. This is an out of touch, corporate-derived thought process.

Japanese games only need a good text translation and a timely concurrent release to become incredibly popular in the west, nothing else. In fact, they become popular in the west exactly because of the Japanese-ness of their content.

The more they keep diluting and tainting the content to do what they think is western appeasement, the worse it will gradually become, even from a commercial perspective. They will hit sales peaks as they saturate the franchises, but their numbers will eventually decline and they won't be able to figure out why.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik

Yakuza: Like A Dragon was the most successful game in the series, internationally. A lot of people want it dubbed. Ishn! was not dubbed, and it sold poorly (I would have to assume). That has been the case for many Japanese games, where fans want dubs. Do I care about English language? No. Does it make sense for some companies to have it? Yes.
I'm surprised the turn based one sold better than the action ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom