Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Satirical space games

Games which parody science fiction, space shooters and other things about space.

Parodius, Twinbee and Space Quest are the classic examples. Parodius and Twinbee take the styles of Gradius and Xevious and use them to create funny, challenging, creative shooters that would be great even without any humor. They are perfect examples of classic Konami before it grew corrupt and are as playable today as they were at the time. I beat Stinger, the Americanized Moero Twinbee reently and it was great except for the strange fact that of the seven stages, stage 3 was by far the longest and hardest and had poor hit detection in a game that otherwise worked very well. Took me years to beat stage 3 and two hours to beat the last four stages.

Space Quest is a high point in Sierra's library of classic adventure games, filled with great jokes and characters and funny deaths. Roger Wilco is a memorable character and the insults to him from the narrator are hilarious. It fell apart in the last game, Spae Quest 6 which was a horribly boring piece of shit that was wildly inconsistent with the games, had very little humor and left us with an abrupt ending. Fortunately, fans made two games that both gave satisfying endings to the series: Vohaul Strikes Back and the next game, Incinerations were perfect continuations and really hilarious and faithful. I recommend trying to get all the points in Incinerations because the best ending is perfect.

Citizens of Space is a great modern satire, reminiscent of Space Quest and Mother. It has weak gameplay, but the jokes, characters and settings are all hilarious and varied and well worth exploring. Its predecessor, Citizens of Earth is even better.

Arryosha

Learned
I guess Destroy All Humans might count, though it is set on Earth

Norfleet

Does it count as a space parody if I use Kamala Harris's "Space is Exciting" speech in the place where the Star Trek speech normally goes in the intro? Or is that more of a "it's funny because it's real"?

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Breathedge (Soviet Subnautica in space) is extremely fun. In terms of gameplay on the other hand, it did things in the wrong order (eg : you unlock vehicles when you don't need them anymore) and became fairly boring by the second half. The last quarter is a long, long corridor.

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
And of course, "I am not an Alien" is a very-good-but-sometimes-level-design-absolutely-sucked turn-based tactical game parodying the WORST sci-fi shows and comics of the 50ies / 60ies. And also Star Trek

The multiplayer mode (released first) is awesome :

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Finally there is Redshirt. Navigate a facebook interface in a Star Trek ship to receive promotions so you are a main character by the time the end of the series happen and all secondary characters are killed. The pitch is the funniest part of the game.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Breathedge (Soviet Subnautica in space) is extremely fun. In terms of gameplay on the other hand, it did things in the wrong order (eg : you unlock vehicles when you don't need them anymore) and became fairly boring by the second half. The last quarter is a long, long corridor.

Pretty much this. Loved the scene when you finally got at the steering wheel of the first spaceship.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom