Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Scratches - Director's Cut -- It was great. Now I want MOAR!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thanks, great recommendations man!

A user named cat

No problem. Just wanted to give a heads up; I tried Barrow Hill earlier (thank torrents) and didn't care for it. It felt way too static, much like Myst was. Basically just think of Scratches being stuck in slideshow mode and you get the drift. Those really aren't my thing, I like having some freedom of movement and the world feeling somewhat alive instead of just clicking on pictures. It also mixes in some FMV which brought back memories of Sega CD and Panasonic 3D0, yuck. Uninstalled.

Will be trying one of the Dark Fall games next. About halfway into Darkness Within and still digging it, still recommending this one. If only Call of Cthulhu had used this gameplay instead of those stupid run n' gun levels.

EDIT: I tried out Dark Fall 2, out impatience to see what it's like. Unfortunately it's just like Barrow Hill minus the FMV nonsense. Basically just pixel hunting still images and zooming in to view the developer's artwork. Just comes off as way too lifeless and dull, looks like Scratches and Darkness Within are about the only games of the like where you have some viewing freedom and the world doesn't consist of a million jpegs.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
:necro:

This game was really fucking shit.

I mean it. Total garbage.

It had a cool story that was nice to piece together, and a good enough spooky atmosphere, but that's just about it.

The actual gameplay, on the other hand, had to be one of the most obnoxious pixel hunts I've had the misfortune to experience in the last 10 years. Not to mention some of that retarded logic.

Stuck and can't advance the time? NP, CALL JERRY!!!!

A hundred million billion paintings all over the house? HEY, ONLY ONE OF THEM IS RELEVANT AND HAS A SMALL THINGY TO ACTIVATE IN THE MIDDLE OF IT!

You need to stick a newspaper under this door! But forget about the 3 fucking stacks of newspapers in the attic, no, YOU MUST PICK UP A SPECIFIC ONE STASHED AWAY UNDER A BUCKET!

Entire floor lined up with junk? BETTER LOOK CLOSELY AT EVERY FUCKING BRICK PILE!

Also, that shelf with cans? THAT DIRTY CAN IS RELEVANT FOR WHATEVER REASON BECAUSE FUCK YOU.

Sorry, I can't leave the house today to make 10 steps to the toolshed because I'm too much of a fucking pansy to go through some rain!

The plaque under a coffin says 'R'! Why, surely it would be logical for a plaque under a coffin starting with R to say RIP. NOP. FORGET IT. IT TIES TO SOME HAPHAZARDLY STREWN AROUND TOY-BLOCKS IN ANOTHER ROOM AND THEN TO A SIKRIT BAWKS.

BETTER AIM WELL WITH THE SHOVEL INTO THAT ONE PIXEL-PERFECT SPOT, BRO

Yeah, fuck you, game. At one point I just said 'fuck it' and played with a walkthrough running in the background all the time. Centering just about EVERY FUCKING PUZZLE around red herrings and shit that looks absolutely identical does not a good adventure game make.

At least it was short as hell.

Ringhausen

Augur
I know what you mean. I ended up trying to call Jerry every time I got stuck. But he wouldn't answer.

folgore

Literate
Yeah, and it's gained a bit of a cult following judging by the Steam forums, which is fucking baffling. Decent atmosphere, music, and story--the actual gameplay is pure distilled tedium.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom