Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I barely remember it but it wasn't bad at least.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I did a 100% playthrough of Tomb Raider 1 and 2 (Gold Editions) back in the day, haven't touched another TR game since.

My recollection of both games can be summed up like so:

Swan+dive+lara+croft+s+infamous+swan+dive_ffa5d3_4348147.gif

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, TR1 was good because it was first and got no issues like sequel. TR2 is too long for my taste... part on the ship was boring.
And human enemies, especially balaclava goons, walking tanks.
TR3 was better and addon was cherry on the top. TR4...obviously.
And Chronicles is more thank ok, if you're fed off with TR then there comes lower score.
Maybe I can try Angel of Darkness? Seems like it have some problems here and here (cool story but awkward control) but maybe it's just wearing out of TR? I played bunch of "unplayable without pad" games like Dork Suls and Alpha Brotocol so I can give it a shot.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Which reminds me, I don't think I've actually ever played any tomb raider for longer than an hour or so for some reason :M

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Because it's not like the new one where you Press X and directional key + occasional QTE and beat the whole game that way?

DooM 4

jQegSto.jpg

jurfY9a.jpg

yFWOqD9.jpg

lF04SPN.jpg

Ou0Pyyn.jpg

:hmmm:
Double barrel shotgun have zoom, which decrease spread AND it have cooldown for this mode on top of that?
I don't even.

No surprise here - it's fun.
Shotgun goon can take you with one shot, melee (punches) are weak and chaingun is p.inaccurate.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Took some DS3 shots while replaying.

3DC121908EB06BDEDA2FF5173146C7F760B2DB2A

I really like the general look of this area.
58A42F99C25E1C9A27239BAAE24866B9647CF448

B3C477C120E9D414DCBF4224B990E881733A6BA2

EC17389C0DBEE21E7B8C4653136CC1879F568AF6

57EFCAC98F329A83C846A0B6713538E9C3760647

505E7FEF945036D1DA0C3030A07E93BC08FC1077

Irithyll, the ultimate graphicswhore screenshot area.
779D9A4C6E122BE05C4904D14E7DCAF01A61FF48

On the bridge.
E4EC6FA26597A94E08A84041A9FE96ADF53812B5

61FC9A6A202834943B3109D188F02F8F45ECB0E7

Under the bridge. Forgot that Steam takes screenshots with the RTSS overlay.
2D7D9B5FAD4ACDB06EDC7530D7A7E318EBC85BDE

Same bridge from high up top.
DCB9B3819FD91A5049C7292E3053DF0E20EA4F34

Buttress bonanza.
43B55A16FED4D302D2DE0A3DB362CC357C06D297

Hacks.
99472655C87A193060171A2A14873112CECFEEDC

It's like they took the idea of a medieval castle and multiplied it by a factor of 10.
009CF5197572CCB1C06B96164FEE6B4972C9F142

7B1D9BA7AC0A26D20CE5AF70CEFAA01D0A029520

E3E3948076D0F5E7D1871B71297F233D80562B4E

This doesn't look good.
7C9534DB9C6D63FCC4C8A3B25D5E27E099D0D86B

The sun bleeding probably isn't a good sign.
AC02C9DF1F8B920E142548242626B3230263337B

5A961F2F6D5CB00695DE17F142D0385A1A02EB80

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
n59syKz.jpg

Gothic 2 with the DX11 patch. A 14 year old game is the first one I see where DX11 makes a marked difference.

NIdyDdx.jpg

R5HJ8BE.jpg

3GKU028.jpg

Last edited:

tormund

Arcane
MotherMachinae
You want to delve into TR fan levels and campaigns if you want more of classic TR. Judging by how many there are out there, you can add it to the list of things that can suck someone's free time for couple of years...

And Angel of Darkness is indeed worthy of its "reputation" and beyond saving despite having some p vocal apologists. It's sort of like Daikatana in that respect, you'll see a lot of people claiming how it is underrated and unique, but once you start playing it you realize that it is just as bad as you remember even with recent fan patches and fixes.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I played Tomb Raider 1 for the first time a month ago, really enjoyed it. currently playing TR2, and I think it is better overall so far. Loved the Venice levels.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Si1uQB.jpg

fagets have no idea whats coming to them

Ls8rps.jpg

u stuck dere m8? lemme try dislodging u with some spell scrolls

Essegi

Cipher
Wizardry 8
h0GXbVU.png

This has been a good fight. Maybe the best in the game that needed more like that.

eDlX3OO.png

o6GxOQf.png

LMQSxFY.jpg

CKvkC5X.png

DRDrRiR.png

G2Etcn5.jpg

tWZjf7J.png

9VJUHVU.jpg

xNcjC97.jpg

1i287HI.jpg

GepsF1y.jpg

8xX8tV6.jpg

jVhNriy.jpg

buX7fjJ.jpg

kX50RSh.jpg

Yu5osJk.jpg

EFEwCKz.jpg

DaLKHuR.jpg

m23YW0L.jpg

u7QwRNz.jpg

0fKjOmj.jpg

iTxpCom.jpg

O37N1vK.jpg

2LBVb4J.jpg

UpAm8ud.jpg

bOjQqt5.jpg
End game spoilers
bDFJDL6.jpg

8vvemCZ.jpg

VM3g6py.jpg

vRL1zqi.jpg

P3rGRH2.jpg

Joining the Savant...
EP1i9SX.jpg

Becoming Gods
UKLoCUp.jpg

ExX75Sw.jpg

XQVkQ2F.jpg

O6oNC6R.jpg

s4X0sea.jpg

LekMtqj.jpg

Becoming Gods with another God.
6xvPPTr.jpg

PHTTxEL.jpg

2LbhtHy.jpg

NAASzMC.jpg

iyTEnFS.jpg

TS3eH3Y.jpg

dZPbvvg.jpg

9ji0ZYm.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Finally managed to complete Aleshar: The World of Ice.
All in all this is probably the hardest CRPG I've played, even harder than Wizardry 4.

XamRLse.png

LcQdyMo.png

vlbTa84.png

spekkio

Arcane
Get out of here, Stalker, pt. 1

So, pvt. Stalkerov's mission is almost over!

Evil NATO mind-controlling technology was disabled!

VHD29in.jpg

Now is the time to liberate the fuck out of Pripyat:

07Z5IvL.jpg

zenuvRj.jpg

Evil urkan Mi-24s:

tXBu9KH.jpg

Finally, we're THERE:

UkQDhbM.jpg

:yeah:

Equipped with the latest achievement of glorious Russian technology ("stolen by Russian soldier" makes it Russian OFC):

6vHIGOJ.jpg

LwBEvcu.jpg

And at last! The famous Wish Granter, the center of this whole mess!

Gqfxsv5.jpg

What awaits us inside?

DP29DBQ.jpg

:fuuyeah:

37Y11ug.jpg
Have a cookie, Colonel Girkin. What took you so long?

CZGwLJV.jpg
:(

37Y11ug.jpg
Yeah. So, your task to get rid of Igor Strelkov failed, for obvious reasons.

CZGwLJV.jpg
:cry:

37Y11ug.jpg
But don't worry, somobody quite experienced was called in to finish it...

eSnXCzg.jpg
:obviously:

giphy.gif

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The first thing I always look for in Doom wad screenshots is whether they contain blatant violations of originals geometrical restrictions - room over room, sloped sectors, etc.

True story.

It's funny how the WAD makers try to break all those restrictions, yet they insist on keeping the pixelated graphics and no mouselook...

Riskbreaker

You speak of different things, one them being connected to core gameplay.

Anyways, they don't even have to try, you know. Not anymore. Creating slopes is as easy as selecting a linedef and editing its properties with a couple of clicks, and 3D sectors aren't much harder; hell, for years now we even have a handy GZDoom Builder plug-in that allows for creation and handling of basic 3D floors with utmost ease. You even have ridiculously easy tricks for creating illusion of rooms over rooms, such as giving teleport properties to two linedefs (only effort here is one necessary for the maximally smooth transition).
Everyone can create a Doom map these days, including one that taps into some of (G)Zdoom's potential.

DraQ
Wad from which those screenshots originate is a Boom compatible affair. Thus, core limitations of vanilla's geometry remain.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Another game, which I've never finished completed.

G4GKT6W.jpg

:lol:

I love those descriptions, of course Wolfenstein was first with this but nevertheless. You can feel the 90's just by this.

ROTT is really peculiar game. Made by Apogee, with fallen from ID Software grace Tom Hall as the lead designer. First thing that you quickly realize that it's much simpler when it comes to level building and it's like a clone of already mentioned Wolfie. Although I don't care much about the plot, even the militaristic enemies tend to be a dead give away about inspiration.

First thing - weapons. The double pistols have great sound effect, with unlimited ammo it's fun to play first person John Woo inspired game. But when you grab the machine gun you basically left with two weapons. Another one is some kind of bazooka, and later on it can be replaced by heatseeker launcher and a couple of others. My favourite is the Firebomb which shakes the screen and you need to be careful while aiming because of the blast and his little cousing Flamewall which turns people into skeletons with that funny cartoony sound. Plus there are some magical staffs to grab in 4th episode. The biggest letdown is that you can have only one missile weapon. Probably for balance reasons.

The best ones are the last. Dog mode which turns us into a vicious immortal :shittydog: for some time. And God mode, oh wow ! Doom has nothing on it. It's like we are killing with our hand of God with the balls of energy moving from each foe and cleaning all rooms in a couple of seconds. Great work on that. There is bouncing mode which makes us feel like a ball inside pinball machine and shrooms mode that makes impossible for us to fight effectively for some time.

The safe locations from Wolf3d are gone. Now we have platform, jumping pad, killer flame spots, and moving sharp columns that can aid us in our quest too by killing unaware soldiers. Plus switches, triggering floor tiles and keys. Some of those maps were really tough to beat, considering the size of them and knowing where to go for the new opening.

Enemies. Well, I must say it's the most uninspired element of the whole game. They are too easy and you can snipe them from a distance with no problems. It can be troublesome when they are in big packs in smaller rooms but that's where you use your skills. Blowing them with the rockets and seeing eyes, gibs and hand with "fuck you" finger in your face is fun. There isn't any variety in their behaviour, except the ones that are begging sometimes when you want to make a final shot. They will stand up after some time, so don't listen to them. Later on the white suited foes will appear as dead on the floors but once you are near them they will shout "drop it" and you must quickly drop them or just shoot right after you see them. Proto-Unreal mechanic right there.

Robots which are included later on, are more troublesome and can be killed only by missiles. And not all of them, so be warned.

Everything would be fine but

THE MONKS

The whole episode 4, it's a nightmare inducing pain. They are all in robes, but it felt to me they are all have titan bones. They are bullet sponging monsters from hell. And there are rooms filled with them, hidden rooms that even have them more. And they all have powerful magic attacks. Here is the EP 4 in a nutshell:

:mixedemotions:

It kills most of the fun that I had with this game. But there is even something more horrifying than this.

[More in the spoilers]

dPgjPWO.jpg

The game becomes extremely difficult even in navigating through without any enemies. Those stones move really fast!

bjNAGHB.jpg

:shittydog:

5hzFcJI.jpg

First boss fight. There are bazookas everywhere so it's really hard to fail.

4K11FMm.jpg

Sometimes we manage to turn on the switch just in right moment... Here are the soldiers killed by deadly fire shots.

aP6GG05.jpg

:lol:

A second boss. Which is a fat guy wearing pink trousers sitting on a wheelchair and shooting rockets at us. He killed me at first because I couldn't stop laughing.

UjffAJr.jpg

You can be a God even for a half of minute. It simply rocks. We see the energy beam disposing of another enemy, the one next to him will never know what hit him.

b0clgrQ.jpg

Third boss - NME robot. It's horrifying how much he can takes. I thought it was all over after that but NO.

UjC8823.jpg

The most horrifying of them all. The one and only El Oscuro digitalized from one and only Tom Hall. After shooting at him for minutes I figured something must be wrong. He should vaporize already after all those direct hits. But apparently you need to dodge and just wait until he looses all his powers. And then like Conan you must kill the Thulsa Doom Snake, which has a deadly maggots inside. If you miss one of them then you will see a bad ending.

KURWA!

HALL YOU BASTARD !

latest

[Crazy sorcerer laugh]

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I simply don't consider them genuine DOOM. If you don't want to play along DOOM's limitations, you should use a more modern engine instead of trying to score cheap hipster points.
Well, if you're using GZDoom then you are using a more modern engine. I don't see any other developers as of late trying to create anything that is not only inspired by the gameplay of Doom but also brings along the versatility and ease-of-use. You could argue that the modders should just program one themselves, even though that goes against the point of a level editor being easy to mess around with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom