Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Sea of Stars - a retro-inspired turn-based RPG

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
A word from Yasunori Mitsuda
Hello again everyone!

Hot off the heels of the yearly wrap-up, we have a bonus round for you: a word from Mitsuda himself!

Follow this link where Mitsuda shares some thoughts on Sea of Stars and production, while his beautifully named first track, "Coral Cascades", plays in the background.

That's it for this mini update, we hope you enjoy and have a wonderful time during the holidays <3

See you next year,

- SaboTeam

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Fm7INOLXoAAjdq1

HedgeGizard

Literate
The demo was very polished but I wish they did more with the traversal abilities. The wall climbing, "platforming" and such really just amounts to walking with a different animation with minimal change to player input/sense of motion.
May just not have been showcased.

Shinji

Savant
They're clearly putting a lot of effort in this game, so kudos to them.

But it always feels like those JRPG-inspired games made by western developers are lacking something crucial.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Surprised I'd never heard of this before, but gods it's gorgeous looking. Really nice when people manage to innovate visual styles in such a way that while maintaining a clear heritage, they simultaneously bring their own distinct stylisation and mood -- through colour and shading especially, here.

The pseudo-lighting in particular (visible here) really stands out. Hopefully the gameplay can match the fantastic effect they've managed with its emotional palette, i.e. the evocative combination of design and music. ^^;

Jinn

Arcane
One of the best modern action-platformers I've played. Go in blind and stay that way till the end.

I will say, keep your eyes peeled for when you "meet" the protagonists of Sea of Stars if you're interested in how the two games connect.

---

Arcane
Yeah, the metroidvania part didn't work very well. I guess it was because there wasn't much sense of discovery: the progression of your powers remained linear, and the only things you could find were unnecessary.
Still, it was a damn good game.

Elthosian

Arcane
I tried the demo for like 5 minutes before it crashed but I really liked the environmental interactions and the visual design. In Chained Echoes, most of the items you pick are either chests, crystals, buried treasure or floating orbs which make exploration comparatively unrewarding despite the level design not being that bad. Also, I feel like there is a lot more visual variety. I can't quite put my finger on it but I disliked all the sprites being placed in the same perspective toward the camera, felt blocky and made navigating areas like the flower field boring.

Combat was slower than I'd like but it seemed ok.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom