Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

sstacks

Arcane
So, by combining wolf form (5) and reckless offence (4) I get damage skill bonus of 3d19 and a dodge skill bonus of 5d13. This can't be intended, right?

And I don't know if it's intended or not, but I love it :P

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I made through with the help of a lot of oil slip traps than should be necessary, not ideal but it worked.

Another question, putting additional points into the Turn to stone spell doesn't seem to improve it according to the tooltip. I assume the chance to petrify goes up the more points you put into it?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Another question, putting additional points into the Turn to stone spell doesn't seem to improve it according to the tooltip. I assume the chance to petrify goes up the more points you put into it?
The chance to pretify goes up, yes, or I was extremely lucky/unlucky.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And finished it.

Looks like I skipped quite a bit of content. I never really explored the northern and eastern part of the map as the main story didn't touch on these areas. Will rectify that with another playthrough once the expansion is out.

Random thoughts:

- the setting and story is original, the different races are not your average dwarf, elf, etc.
- there's some very cool lore (check the 170 page manual)
- it still has some bugs (re/despawning enemies when you load a save, harvesters can't be targeted using the mouse)
- I didn't keep a whole lot of notes, the letters/items you find are sufficient in most cases
- a little too much trash combat in some areas
- magic characters seemed weak compared to my physical guys (with a few exceptions, turn to stone is overpowered)
- would've liked for physical chars to have some active abilities, not just automated stuff
- good c&c all the way through
- it's more BG1/Fallout 1 than Darklands
- character stats and skill points matter
- performance issues (praise Unity)
- the game does look better in motion than on just the screenshots
- whips as weapons!

I definitely recommend it. SitS is the first RTWP game I played since PoE. And it feels a lot less clunky. Not 100% sure why but it's probably due to the lack of an engangement system. If your mage gets hit he can actually get away instead of just staring the impending rape in the face.

And it was made by just two people. :love:

ArchAngel

Arcane
This can never be mentioned enough. It is like the conversation that was had in PoE topics about how same people that made those good games in 1998+ now made such an average game like PoE and the conclusion was that they were starving artists then that were trying to prove themselves while now they are just doing it for their next monthly paycheck while already living comfortable lives.

These two people making SitS are what they were so long ago, they put a lot of love into SitS and you can feel it, it oozes from every part of the game even with all the bugs and balance issues.

hell bovine

Arcane
This can never be mentioned enough. It is like the conversation that was had in PoE topics about how same people that made those good games in 1998+ now made such an average game like PoE and the conclusion was that they were starving artists then that were trying to prove themselves while now they are just doing it for their next monthly paycheck while already living comfortable lives.

These two people making SitS are what they were so long ago, they put a lot of love into SitS and you can feel it, it oozes from every part of the game even with all the bugs and balance issues.
I think it's also because experienced developers are less likely to take the risk that lies in trying something new; sticking to the old recipe won't produce anything fresh and exciting, but will likely attract your usual customers. Probably too afraid to alienate their customer base (and yeah, that includes codex; for all the bitchin' about the decline of RPGs, plenty of people here still bough Fallout IV).

ArchAngel

Arcane
Why combat is too hard? I loose everytime on encounters ..:negative:
Lol. YOu are losing at start or later?

At start. Cant beat one goblin with 2 companions :/
Get that warrior girl. Give her all defensive items from all the characters and best weapon you got. Send her in first. Tell other NPC (one with flasks) to cast healing on her constantly. Use your main guy to do whatever (if you got access to spells you can also cast healing on her). Or heal her with your main guy and use flask guy to attack from range. Just make sure you send the warrior girl first so enemies all target her.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Why combat is too hard? I loose everytime on encounters ..:negative:
Lol. YOu are losing at start or later?

At start. Cant beat one goblin with 2 companions :/
Get that warrior girl. Give her all defensive items from all the characters and best weapon you got. Send her in first. Tell other NPC (one with flasks) to cast healing on her constantly. Use your main guy to do whatever (if you got access to spells you can also cast healing on her). Or heal her with your main guy and use flask guy to attack from range. Just make sure you send the warrior girl first so enemies all target her.

Thanks its now getting easier .

ArchAngel

Arcane
First two maps are hardest. Don't be afraid to just go get some levels, equipment and party members elsewhere and come back later.

roshan

Arcane
- it still has some bugs (re/despawning enemies when you load a save, harvesters can't be targeted using the mouse)

The despawning is pretty rare, I think I only noticed this in the icy area with a bridge, the clump of enemies near the sealed cave. As for respawning, I think this is mostly intentional, albeit frustrating at times. When you see a cluster of enemies, you have to defeat a cluster of enemies, otherwise the entire cluster respawns when you reload.

- magic characters seemed weak compared to my physical guys (with a few exceptions, turn to stone is overpowered)

Yeah, but this kinda makes sense with the gothic/dark low fantasy setting. There are no fireballs and lightning bolts, most magic is occult themed, and more utility/buff/malus oriented. That being said, I did have some issue with some of the spells, in that it is too hard to get them to work/trigger reliably. Like some spells have too small a radius of effect, and too long a cast time, so often those you are hoping to hit have already moved way out of the AOE.

SitS is the first RTWP game I played since PoE. And it feels a lot less clunky. Not 100% sure why but it's probably due to the lack of an engangement system.

It's not just the lack of engagement, it's also that your units move at an even, constant speed, that is not dependent on multiple animations and how they play out, thus appearing like pieces sliding on a board. Tactical movement, just like in the Infinity Engine games. In POE, when you see a group of 10 enemies, it is impossible to predict which one will reach your party first - often, the furthest enemy will end up being the one in front of your party. It's a complete clusterfuck. In SITS, you can reliably predict that the closest enemy will be the first to reach you.

Mustawd

My understanding is that a free expansion is being worked on at the moment.

EDIT: They really should have charged for the expansion. At least $5.

Wolfenswan

Novice
What keeps bothering me is the lack of seemingly obvious dialogue choices, three examples:
- Erlein's murder. Wouldn't the PC have an interest in insisting on a conversation with the shipping guild head or even a random dock worker? I am still wondering if I missed a route for this quest that doesn't involve killing everyone in the area
- Search for Octavian. Mya mentions him being in either Ista Cale or the lumberyard. Despite him being a seemingly important figure I can't ask anyone in Ista Cale if they have seen the guy or even know him. At the lumberyards my first confrontration are hostile soldiers at the gate and the option to kill Arbiters to sneak in by raft. Both options don't really align with Mya's statement that Octavian actually wants to see the PC/is expecting the PC.
- The theft at Orf's bridge

This is even more jarring as there are plenty of examples where the dialogue and CnC is done right.

ArchAngel

Arcane
What keeps bothering me is the lack of seemingly obvious dialogue choices, three examples:
- Erlein's murder. Wouldn't the PC have an interest in insisting on a conversation with the shipping guild head or even a random dock worker? I am still wondering if I missed a route for this quest that doesn't involve killing everyone in the area
- Search for Octavian. Mya mentions him being in either Ista Cale or the lumberyard. Despite him being a seemingly important figure I can't ask anyone in Ista Cale if they have seen the guy or even know him. At the lumberyards my first confrontration are hostile soldiers at the gate and the option to kill Arbiters to sneak in by raft. Both options don't really align with Mya's statement that Octavian actually wants to see the PC/is expecting the PC.
- The theft at Orf's bridge

This is even more jarring as there are plenty of examples where the dialogue and CnC is done right.
Also that small village with the lord that keeps everyone as economic slaves. There is nothing there to do. You cannot pay to free them, if you murder the lord and guards, everyone acts like nothing changed.
Areas like these make the game look unfinished. Also some random parties I found in caves and such had no conversations or clues what they are about.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Not sure, with Underrail release incoming, i might as well wait for Addon at this point to start the first (real) playthrough.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Who says the addon isn't going to be standalone? If you're interested in SitS, play it now IMO.

roshan

Arcane
Yeah, the "expansion" will not be what people are expecting (in a good way), so no point in waiting for it.

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Keep going southwest on the main path away from the temple. Should come to an exit grid soon enough. Unless the no exit grid bug has reared it's head again. If so, update.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom