Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Seventh Sense

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Seventh Sense is an adaptation of the first five Lone Wolf books to the computer and it's incredibly well done. It's free, it manages your action chart and items, and it lets you play by the book rules or not, have random stats or not, have permadeath or not, etc. It also looks nice.

Lone Wolf is awesome because there's quite a few choices with consequences, non-linear paths, and skill checks (although it's binary since it's whether you have the skills or not). Combat can sometimes be avoided.

Get it here: http://www.projectaon.org/staff/david/download.php

Screenshots:

screen2.png

screen5.png

screen4.png

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Hobo Elf said:
Holy shit is this like 20 books in one game?

It's five. There's quite a few choices with consequences, non-linear paths, and skill checks (although it's binary since it's whether you have the skills or not). Combat can sometimes be avoided. Mods keep this in RPG discussion please.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Jaime Lannister said:
Hobo Elf said:
Holy shit is this like 20 books in one game?

It's five. There's quite a few choices with consequences, non-linear paths, and skill checks (although it's binary since it's whether you have the skills or not). Combat can sometimes be avoided. Mods keep this in RPG discussion please.

I see 20, so I must assume that only 5 have been finished, yes? Anyways, I played it for some time, and it was pretty interesting stuff. Had to stop since it's late and I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open. Gonna have to give this a better play tomorrow.

Erebus

Arcane
So, in this adaptation, is there a section where we finally get to see Lone Wolf and Banedon consummate their relationship ? Come on ! :P

LW is a nice gamebook series as long as you don't get tired of playing a champion of good (an über-powered champion of good in the third part of the series). It's not my favorite (that would be Blood Sword) but it's enjoyable at least for a while.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
My save file got erased for some reason. Has this happened for anyone else? This sucks, and I really don't feel like starting all over again. I had some decent progress going on.

Erebus

Arcane
Barghest said:
I used to collect the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks.

While I have fond memories of Fighting Fantasy, you have to admit that the series was extremely uneven (due to its many different authors). People like Stephen Hand, Dave Morris, Paul Mason and both Steve Jackson wrote inventive and interesting books. Other authors haven't shown as much talent. Ian Livingstone, co-founder of the series, has written several of the most bland and annoying gamebooks I've ever had the displeasure of playing.

Zeros

Novice
Never read any of these, been playing them books. Very amusing.

Barghest said:
I would love to see a 'Sorcery!' version of this. I used to collect the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks.

I dunno if it's the same, but there's this webpage that has a bunch of these adventure games playable online (it uses cgi I think).

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
Ahh brings back memories of the D&D choose your own adventure books from the 80s-early 90s. Never read these ones, they look cool though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom