Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew - ghost pirates stealth strategy from Mimimi Games

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I get why some folks would have liked a more serious game - I like serious games sometimes too - but hearing the lead designer introduce a newly revealed character as "an undead ninja pirate, basically?" made me smile. I'm down for the goofiness.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did they hit their heads and forget everything about their last game?
You mean the game where they designed gameplay first for a new character but couldn't figure out any way to make it make sense, so they said, "Fuck it, magic" and it was completely fine?

Apart from that, I don't really know how I feel about being able to always select your party members for each mission. Having to deal with restriction on which abilities you can use is a big part of what I enjoy in these games.
I agree here - I really loved having to face new challenges with different abilities. How will we get across this bridge without a sniper, how can we get past that clump of enemies without an area attack, etc. It was great. On the other hand, I appreciate that they're expanding on the idea of giving the player more tools to tackle things in creative ways. Sure, some players will always use the Commando for everything because it's easier, but others will ask, "I wonder if I can do the whole campaign without ever using the Commando at all?" It should be great for replay which is good because as much as I loved ST and D3 I lose motivation very quickly when revisiting them.

Lemming42

Arcane
Yeah I liked the missions in Desperados 3 where you're deprived of key crewmembers too*, but being able to choose your own challenges is even better, in a way. As long as they playtest extensively to ensure that all levels are reasonably able to be completed in interesting ways with any number or combination of characters, then it's basically Desperados on crack - rather than having the game remove your best characters, you'll have the choice to remove them yourself. If it lets you do solo runs that should be really cool, I used to try and go as far as possible through a level with a single character in Desperados just for the fun of it.

The stuff the guy in the video was saying about how characters are built to suit different playstyles, allowing the player to assemble his or her ideal team, is really encouraging.

*not least because of the deliberately flimsy story justifications given - I love that level where you have to clear the railway with Kate and Hector because McCoy is in a mood and Isabelle and Cooper are both asleep

Lemming42

Arcane
Their constant talking about how adding magic finally allows them to be creative with characters' abilities baffles me.
I assume they mean that they're just gonna go balls-to-the-wall with it this time. Isabelle's magic was seen as a unique and strange thing in-universe, not a common part of the setting, and she was the designated "weird" character (like the little Chinese kid with the frenzy darts in Desperados 1). Everyone else's abilities were rooted in "reality", albeit a Loony Tunes type of reality. With a full-on fantasy setting like this you can have all kinds of whack shit and new mechanics, ghost abilities or whatever the fuck.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You mean the game where they designed gameplay first for a new character but couldn't figure out any way to make it make sense, so they said, "Fuck it, magic" and it was completely fine?
That's exactly what I meant. They keep saying they're finally introducing magic... How can you "finally introduce" something that already was in your previous game?

Their constant talking about how adding magic finally allows them to be creative with characters' abilities baffles me.
I assume they mean that they're just gonna go balls-to-the-wall with it this time. Isabelle's magic was seen as a unique and strange thing in-universe, not a common part of the setting, and she was the designated "weird" character (like the little Chinese kid with the frenzy darts in Desperados 1). Everyone else's abilities were rooted in "reality", albeit a Loony Tunes type of reality. With a full-on fantasy setting like this you can have all kinds of whack shit and new mechanics, ghost abilities or whatever the fuck.
I feel like D3's abilities were so loosely grounded in realism that they could already get away with literally anything. Like leaving mannequins behind for teleportation powers or "incredible logical deductions" for time travel ones. Every ability in D3 already basically feels to me like a spell with a pseudo-realistic explanation, therefore all this emphasis on how introducing magic will finally allow them to be creative seems weird.

But don't get me wrong, I've never wishlisted a game this quick and I'll definitely buy this day 1. After Shadow Tactics, Aiko's Choice, and Desperados 3, they've gained my blind trust.

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I like magic.
I also like the fact that they finally caught up to what Robin Hood and the legend of Sherwood was doing back in 2002, which was allowing you to take whatever team members you wanted outside of the story required ones for missions.

Lemming42

Arcane
Holy shit this looks insane, Desperados on crack.

The amount of non-combat powers based around stealth, possession and environmental traversal look fantastic, could be the best non-lethal run of all Mimimi's games so far. I think they've kept the tying up mechanic from Desperados, which is nice, though it'd be better to have it relegated to only one or two characters as in the original Desperados.

Lemming42

Arcane
Yes, it's fun. These games are mostly about manipulating enemy AI, who act in predictable and consistent ways, to find creative methods of making your way through levels. Your crew have unique talents that mostly revolve around tricking, distracting, or luring guards into doing things.

For the most part you sneak through areas by causing distractions, manipulating guards, attacking or KOing them, and avoiding their viewcones. Sound does play a role though - stepping in water creates a small amount of noise, firing a gun creates a lot of noise, etc. In Desperados 1 you could use dynamite explosions to lure enemies to places, but it was comically overpowered.

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
Yes, it's fun. These games are mostly about manipulating enemy AI, who act in predictable and consistent ways, to find creative methods of making your way through levels. Your crew have unique talents that mostly revolve around tricking, distracting, or luring guards into doing things.

For the most part you sneak through areas by causing distractions, manipulating guards, attacking or KOing them, and avoiding their viewcones. Sound does play a role though - stepping in water creates a small amount of noise, firing a gun creates a lot of noise, etc. In Desperados 1 you could use dynamite explosions to lure enemies to places, but it was comically overpowered.
Alright. I'm still unconvinced, but maybe I should give isosneak a try.

Harthwain

Magister
These games are mostly about manipulating enemy AI, who act in predictable and consistent ways
I actually prefer how Desperados 1 did this - each enemy "type" has his own unique behavior, so they may surprise you with their reactions when you didn't see them all beforehand.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Filippo Beck Peccoz returns as composer for the music and soundtrack of Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew! Having worked with us on Shadow Tactics and Desperados III before, Filippo's exceptional talent will once again bring the game to life with captivating pirate-themed melodies and immersive soundscapes!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

We are excited to share this new "Island Spotlight" video with you, which we premiered at #TactiCon2023.

The "Island Spotlight" videos are narrated by the Red Marley, the ghost ship of the cursed crew.

This first one introduces you to the "The Iron Bay". Once a haunted atoll it was transformed into a blazing furnace by the Inquisition and is one of the biggest islands found in the Lost Caribbean, the fantastic archipelago where you will go an epic heist for a mysterious treasure.

The "Island Spotlight" videos will be part of the full game and each playable island in Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew will have its own. They will set the tone and brief you about the lore and different localities, providing you with a taste of the pirate adventure that awaits you on each island.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Demo coming:

PLAY THE DEMO during Steam Next Fest from June 19 to 26!
---
The "Island Spotlight" videos are narrated by the Red Marley, the living ghost ship of the cursed crew.

This new spotlight introduces you to "Calimity Reef". When Blackbeard unleashed his wrath against the Third Iron Fleet, the raw energy twisted Calamity Reef beyond reason. Now haunted shipwrecks litter the exposed seafloor and remnants of the dead wander aimlessly between tidepools as the falling lighthouse's glow drives away the tides themselves.

The "Island Spotlight" videos will be part of the full game and each playable island in Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew will have its own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom