Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew - ghost pirates stealth strategy from Mimimi Games

spectre

Arcane
"Finished" the game, quite a romp, with quotation marks because:

after you finish the Grand Design mission, in itself quite lengthy, the actual endgame actually unlocks,
where you will be hunting all the achievements (some are quite bullshit, like no shadow mode in last mission),
unlocking the final character (which requires a certain completion %).

Think I need to give it a well deserved break before getting back to it. I'm never a 100% completionist with these kind of games.
If there's one thing, I'd like to complete all the mirror missions for each character, these were pretty good and an actual highlight of the game.

That said, didn't like the last mission that much, it was sufficiently "epic", though I wasn't that much of a fun of this whole
explaining savegames as a thing in the game shtick, which then turned into a major plot point of its own.

Compared to Shadow Tactics, I thought the ending would be snappier (you could technically cheese the last one in ST and finish it in under 20 minutes,
no such luck this time). Though I have to give them that the puzzles really required using the full extent of the squad roster, if only to dogpile
all the interlinked guards and prognosticars. Biggest problem with it was that the environments felt sanitized. Not looking forward
to replaying it anytime soon because of that. The smaller islands are much more charming with their nooks and crannies.

The game had its ups and downs. Felt a bit of wear somewhere in the middle of the playthrough, then it got gud again with the captain's challenges in the mirror
(for one, they really fleshed the characters out, much better than the stuff you do on the ship in between missions).
The setting wore me down a bit. Especially the inquisition aesthetics is something I've already seen here and there
(I think it was somewhat influenced by Darkest Dungeon). I still think it's a solid offering, but I wouldn't play it over the earlier games,
unless the setting is a deal breaker for you.

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
spectre how many hours was your playthrough?
Twenty something hours? Probably closer to thirty. I kept it alt-tabbed as a distraction while "working," so it's a bit iffy.
Think I could easily pull an extra ten for some low-hanging achievements.

Mission length is comfortably bite-size, twenty minutes for the shortest one, up to an hour for the longest,
will of course depend on difficulty and familiarity with the genre.
Last mission took me by surprise and for the final push I found myself well into the wee hours.

0wca

Learned
Man, I can't finish this game.

Not that I'm incapable of doing it, it's actually fairly easy, except that the CONSTANT recycling of islands in the last third of the game is fucking ridiculous.

I finally quit because I've basically been doing the same island 4 times now for different missions. It's so lazy and lame.

It's not a bad game otherwise but this kind of lazy design makes playing through it a real slog.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not over!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1545560/view/3862461584731340112

DLC Expansions Coming December 6
We're set to release two DLC expansions for Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew on December 6!

Big news ahead, cursed pirates: On December 6, the cursed crew and world of
Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew
are set to grow.

Get ready, as we'll be unleashing not one, but two mighty DLC expansions. Each DLC features several hours of fresh content including:

☠️ A brand-new character with unique supernatural powers joining your cursed crew

️ An uncharted magical island waiting to be explored

An epic story campaign across six new missions to experience

f715c66068595d2da09695ef325bb31f053647d7.png

Good to know: Both DLCs integrate seamlessly into the main game. Notably, the new DLC characters will also be at the your disposal for almost any main game mission.

So brace yourselves, cursed pirates... for this will mark the very final release from us as Mimimi Games!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shadow Tactics crossover!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1545560/view/3897365840783637717

Shadow Gambit: New DLCs & Free Update – NOW AVAILABLE!
Our Grand Finale: New DLCs, Free 'Treasure Hunt' Update, Complete Edition, and 20% Weekend Deal Discount Await

But the adventure doesn't end there. Dive into new challenges with the free "Treasure Hunt" update for the main game, seize the new Complete Edition, and bask in a weekend delight with a 20% discount.

So, assemble your cursed crew – and let the grand finale begin!

Shadow Gambit DLCs – OUT NOW!
Set the Red Marley's sails for the two new DLC expansions Shadow Gambit: Yuki's Wish and Shadow Gambit: Zagan's Ritual. They are available NOW on PC and consoles!

Each DLC features several hours of fresh content including a
brand-new character, an uncharted magical island and an epic story campaign across six new missions
to experience.

You can get them both in our Official Shadow Gambit Key Store if you want to support us directly.

Shadow Gambit: Yuki's Wish
First up is
Shadow Gambit: Yuki's Wish
. No, we are casting no illusion spell on you, this is really happening: Yuki and Kuma from
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
make a triumphant return! Cursed by the Lost Caribbean waters, they bring all-new supernatural abilities to the Red Marley's crew.

Embark to the fabled Japanese-themed island "Dragon's Dream", where an ancient dragon awaits, promising to grant wishes to the brave. The question echoes in the Caribbean air – will you solve the dragon's riddles and fulfill Yuki's wish? Join Yuki and Kuma on this extraordinary quest, unraveling a new story across six mesmerizing missions.

17c96f1da18ed4b49a6a91dfa0d61c67b32c367c.png

Shadow Gambit: Zagan's Ritual
Meanwhile,
Shadow Gambit: Zagan's Ritual
invites your cursed crew on an eerie island with a mysterious Gothic-style castle. Inhabited by the enigmatic scientist "Zagan the Apostate", you are invited to help him to perform a dark ritual. Uncover the secrets of the Inquisition's holy flame through six enthralling missions, wielding Zagan's potent yet unstable powers against your foes. Are you ready to explore the corrupted nature of this closely-guarded Inquisition enigma?

00c5e7a8abcdd9e7f692500fbe4baa9df2452130.png

Where to buy?

Both DLCs are now available for 14.99 $/€ in our own Official Shadow Gambit Key Store or here on Sream!

Good to know: Both DLCs integrate seamlessly into the main game. Notably, the new DLC characters will also be at the your disposal for almost any main game mission.

Free Content Update: Treasure Hunts
In addition to the grand DLC adventures, we have another parting gift for all players in the form of the FREE "Treasure Hunts" content update on PC and consoles.

Unleash your inner explorer as the update invites you on unique "Treasure Hunt" quests for legendary pirate treasures and artifacts. This new endgame content is seamlessly integrated into the main game through a patch on December 6.

Set against the backdrop of the Lost Caribbean, the "Treasure Hunts" offer a unique free-roam experience, allowing players to set foot on the islands without the constraints of specific story missions.

All "Treasure Hunts" are a part of this free roam experience in the respective locations and offer skill-testing challenges across 14 distinct "Treasure Hunt" missions. Each of them features different gameplay twists and engaging objectives.

eff4a082627ec285b899ebb0867d3e2ea82f109a.png

For example, picture yourself following remnants on the enigmatic island of Calamity Reef, pointing you towards hidden treasures or wield a magical pistol to eliminate a set number of guards, unveiling a covered treasure chest. A dedicated codex page tracks your completion progress, adding a layer of accomplishment to your treasure-seeking endeavors.

The "Treasure Hunts" update gives you a new engaging endgame experience, beckoning you to explore more of the mysteries of the Lost Caribbean.

Complete Edition: All-in-One Pirate Booty Package
For those who are still seeking to play the main game or want to upgrade their experience, we have something special: the Complete Edition!

Dive into the Main Game, DLCs, Original Soundtrack, and the Artbook & Strategy Guide, all bundled at a special discounted price – with the new Complete Edition bundle.

The Complete Edition is available now for 69,99 $/€ in our own Official Shadow Gambit Key Store as well as here on Steam.

8b360c7cdbb9b48ce5e6040f501d20f051f72bcc.png

-20% Discount
Moreover, to celebrate this grand finale, we're applying a 20% discount to the
Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew
main game, the Original Soundtrack and the Artbook & Strategy Guide over the weekend until December 14.

01333075d6ae06eb3387108b199231c4a45371d8.png

Head over to our Official Shadow Gambit Key Store – or here on Steam – to seize this limited-time offer and join the Red Marley's cursed crew on their fantastic adventure into the heart of the Lost Caribbean.

Fair winds, brave pirates, and thank you for an unforgettable journey!

Yours,
The Mimimis

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DLCs seem ridiculously overpriced. I'll be waiting for a sale if I bother at all.
They're gonna close shop anyway so they're trying to do a last round of milking with those prices.
Yeah, probably get some pitybux too. But hey at least the employees to get a bonus (outside of their severance, idk how the law works there)

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So, if the studio went out of business and they just released a new DLC for the game - where does the money go?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
There's no bankruptcy here AFAIK. They're just shutting down the company, like Troika was.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
There's no bankruptcy here AFAIK. They're just shutting down the company, like Troika was.
*shrugs*
Depends on how they will shut it down.
They might keep the company in some sort of letterbox limbo on the side, or they might shut company down in ´legal` sense which would lead to said type trustee handling remaining assets and liabilities.

Not all bankruptcies are debtors practically skinning failed entrepreneurs.

Lemming42

Arcane
Fuck yes. That's the best thing they could have done; leave the fans with the ability to keep making Mimimi games. All the ingredients for another great game were present in Shadow Gambit, it just fell down a bit with reused, unfocused maps, which we can fix ourselves with modding tools. Really glad to see that they're making it easy to add new dialogue and cutscenes too - endless new adventures.

I hope they bring the same tools out for Desperados as well because I could happily spend the next five decades just playing and making Desperados 3 fan campaigns.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's a nice swan song from them I guess

The genre is severely lacking in new games but if the tool is robust enough i might consider getting this on next Steam Sale if there is enough people making custom content for it

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Honestly I don't feel like lack of content is the issue with Mimimi games. Hell, I didn't even get to all the Desperados 3 DLC despite loving that game. There is already a TON to do in each game. Folks complain about the same islands being reused here but the play experience is still different depending on going east > west or west > east.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom