Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Eh, that was also true of the 80s and 90s. Neo-Nazis all over the place in tv shows, hence their inclusion in Shadowrun in the 90s. These guys are part of the lore.

However in the 1980s and 1990s American media they did not make it as obvious that the "Nazi" characters were supposed to represent their domestic political opponents. While there were not-very-subtle propaganda elements, they were to some extent just convenient bad guys, or at least you could fool yourself into seeing them that way.

In the 2010s prog media creators were calling their political opponents "Nazis" and "White Supremacists" more often and the fictional "Nazi" , "human supremacist" characters were more obviously just stand ins for their domestic political opponents.

They 100% had RPG Codex type people in mind when creating this specific version of these characters, so I was surprised that the Codex would trick me into buying this game (on deep discount).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
However in the 1980s and 1990s American media they did not make it as obvious that the "Nazi" characters were supposed to represent their domestic political opponents. While there were not-very-subtle propaganda elements, they were to some extent just convenient bad guys, or at least you could fool yourself into seeing them that way.

In the 2010s were calling their political opponents "Nazis" and "White Supremacists" more often and the fictional "Nazi" , "human supremacist" characters were more obviously just stand ins for their domestic political opponents.

They 100% had RPG Codex type people in mind when creating this specific version of these characters, so I was surprised that the Codex would trick me into buying this game (on deep discount).

:hmmm:

You're reading too much into it. I never felt like there was any kind of metastatement when I played it on release. They're bad guys who want to hurt the weirdo-looking races, just as they've always been.

Also I see you missed out on page 18 https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/shadowrun-dragonfall-directors-cut.90165/page-18#post-3168730

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why is there a pattern lately of people who just now find out that cyberpunk settings are anti-authoritarian and counter-cultural? Or at least try to be.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why is there a pattern lately of people who just now find out that cyberpunk settings are anti-authoritarian and counter-cultural? Or at least try to be.
Back in 2014 only a handful of cranks here were oversensitive to the fact that most entertainment is produced, written, and performed by liberals. The cultural changes that have been happening over the last eight years have resulted in these numbers growing.

I'd also say "groups that wish to discriminate against other races are bad" has been a mainstream position for longer than many people here have been born. :lol:

PorkaMorka

Arcane
You guys are in denial if you think there was no political context to the Humanity First enemies in Dragonfall, we know that Harebrained Schemes went on to make Battletech with heavy use of in your face woke themes, it's not surprising that these elements would be present in earlier games as well. They fundamentally don't like the kind of people on this site and they think you are "Nazis".

It's not controversial or out of the ordinary, every form of entertainment was doing it back then. I'm just a little disappointed in the Codex for convincing me to fund this kind of game, even if it was on a heavy discount.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The nu-Shadowruns are very playable, probably the best of the Kickstarter era RPGs, so nobody has tricked you into anything.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You guys are in denial if you think there was no political context to the Humanity First enemies in Dragonfall, we know that Harebrained Schemes went on to make Battletech with heavy use of in your face woke themes, it's not surprising that these elements would be present in earlier games as well. They fundamentally don't like the kind of people on this site and they think you are "Nazis".

It's not controversial or out of the ordinary, every form of entertainment was doing it back then. I'm just a little disappointed in the Codex for convincing me to fund this kind of game, even if it was on a heavy discount.

Battletech's lead designer was a troon who hadn't worked on any of their previous games (and has since been let go for being too much of a problem employee). Things may have changed in all the years since, but back in 2013-17 Codex and HBS had a cordial relationship. They sent us review copies, they even included a benign reference in Hong Kong that a bunch of people here kept posting in the megathread.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
a plot point about skinheads and anarchists killing each other in the hellscape of berlin is probably not about rpgcodex.net

It's about Trump-like figures

Trump wasn't around back then but there were still a lot of nationalist politicians in Europe getting a higher profile due to the influx of migrants

At that time it was mandatory for all progs to put this basic plot line into any media they produced

Codex Year of the Donut
In what possible way are they counterculture? Cyberpunk is just power fantasy for libtards.

To quote Bethke(coincidentally, from a novel making fun of the genre that they gave an award to because they took it seriously)
... They're total wankers and losers who indulge in Messianic fantasies about someday getting even with the world through almost-magical computer skills, but whose actual use of the Net amounts to dialing up the scatophilia forum and downloading a few disgusting pictures. You know, cyberpunks.

It's funny that the name of the genre was coined by someone most cyberpunk fans would consider a "nazi", btw. If you send him an email asking anything about cyberpunk, he will send you back an email containing only a link to this video

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's about Trump-like figures

Trump wasn't around back then but there were still a lot of nationalist politicians in Europe getting a higher profile due to the influx of migrants

At that time it was mandatory for all progs to put this basic plot line into any media they produced
Metahumans aren't migrants, they're people who turn into elves, orcs, dwarves, trolls.

Codex Year of the Donut
hard not to consider them a cheap standin for the author's political issues when they depict them like this
image.png

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I really don't know why we have to keep going back and forth on this, but whatever I'll play along

Metahumans aren't migrants, they're people who turn into elves, orcs, dwarves, trolls.

"Metahumans" represent people of color.

"Human supremacists" represent White Supremacists.

You may think you are not a White Supremacist, but the left spent the last 5 years calling Trump supporters and other anti-immigration or nationalist types "White Supremacists". They specifically use that word because they have a very broad way of defining the term that includes lots of people who don't voluntarily associate themselves with it.

None of this is a coincidence, authors often include a political message in their writing.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's a shit mission because it has a predetermined outcome with very few choices(IIRC: betray the smuggler, help the rocker guy's nephew, and let the leader escape -- NOT the same as helping him, as he wants to be a martyr and this hurts his cause) which none affect the outcome or how the mission progresses. But it's "yass punch nazis yasss" so it's immune from critique.

You're essentially a killer for hire who is capable of making some very bad decisions throughout the game(at least two of them involve essentially dooming the entire world,) but at least you don't work with NAZIS!!!
--

my favorite instance of libtardism in the game is directly in the character creator
snapshot.jpg

"Heavy prejudice against them has led people to assume trolls have lowered intelligence but in reality, there is no proof to this."
"Maximum Stats: ... Intelligence: 6"

Humans, elves, and dwarves have a max intelligence of 9.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Most libtard thing in this game is that elves have a higher max Charisma than humans.

Knife ears are fucking ugly.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You're essentially a killer for hire who is capable of making some very bad decisions throughout the game(at least two of them involve essentially dooming the entire world,) but at least you don't work with NAZIS!!!
Given your character's background, it makes no sense for you to be a racist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom