Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong Pre-Release Discussion [GO TO NEW THREAD]

How much HBS is going to get for his Hong Kong campaign ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Osvir

Learned
I'm pretty happy about this! At least another good RPG for 2015 :)
I've some demands (hohoho) of course.

-First of all I hope we move to an Asia city (Hong Kong, Beijing or Tokyo)

I'd like to see, to be honest, some Scandinavian cities. I read a lot of Shadowrun (PnP) lore when I was working on a Mod, some official, some unofficial, and it seems like an amazing place to make lots and lots of C&C.

Source:
- http://www.shadowrun.us/materials/Shadowrun Sourcebook - scandinavian sourcebook (unofficial).pdf
- http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Scandinavian_Union
- http://denver.wikidot.com/index:scandinavian-union

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm pretty happy about this! At least another good RPG for 2015 :)
I've some demands (hohoho) of course.

-First of all I hope we move to an Asia city (Hong Kong, Beijing or Tokyo)

I'd like to see, to be honest, some Scandinavian cities. I read a lot of Shadowrun (PnP) lore when I was working on a Mod, some official, some unofficial, and it seems like an amazing place to make lots and lots of C&C.

Source:
- http://www.shadowrun.us/materials/Shadowrun Sourcebook - scandinavian sourcebook (unofficial).pdf
- http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Scandinavian_Union
- http://denver.wikidot.com/index:scandinavian-union

There was some decent entries on it in Shadows of Europe (SR3E) and the official campaigns in the SR3E->SR4E transition. (Norse terrorist organization tries to bring about Ragnarok). Plus the Nokia/Ericsson AA megacorp Erika were supposed to be the pioneers of the wireless Matrix from 2065 onwards.

Personally I'd like to see something set in South America. Aztechnology are such exuberant cartoon villains, and awakened rain forest critters would make for fun combat. You could even drop the Matrix sections entirely.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'd rather have no matrix than shitty matrix. Which is what we got in SRR+DF. (Apex fight being a possible exception).

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought the matrix stuff was way more fun in the Genesis version. I was hoping they'd do something more like that. Also, I have Dragonfall, but never played it. Did they add weapon mods yet?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kickstarter NOW LIVE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong

I thought Dead Man's Switch was decent but not it had a lot of issues. Then HBS improved with Dragonfall and the Dragonfall Dc. Yet, there are things that still needs improvement.

I would like to be able to customize my teammates abilities and gear. I liked the fact that Dragonfall lets you choose between the set story characters or a list of generic shadowrunners. The problem was that there wasn't much customization for them. I'd like my teammates to gain karma and being able to distribute those points. They did allow you to choose some abilities in Dragonfall DC. It would also be nice if the characters you brought with you could chip in in dialog. Let's say one of your characters is a bombs expert and you do a run that has to do with that, maybe he could be an option in dialog to help solve the quest. (Poor example, maybe, but you know what I mean.)

A little bit more complex combat or better combat encounters. A lot of the missions, combat played out the same a lot of times. There were some missions where you had to be careful with how you approached combat, but in a lot of cases, it was pretty straightforward. It would be nice if elevation(altitude?) mattered in combat. Not just flat combat encounters. Put your sniper up high, and so on.

Better menus. The menu in the top left that shows your karma, quests and so on felt like it was designed for mobile devices. That needs to be improved to look like an actual menu for a PC game. I also hope ability bars and item bars are a bit better. Dialog boxes to the right were also a bit annoying.

I would like to see stuff like stealth or runs that can be completed without fighting. There doesn't have to be many. Let's say they have 20-30 missions. I would be happy if 4-5 of those were possible to solve without any fighting.

Better character models. The models might look bettar than the ones in Wasteland 2, but not by a large margin.

Mission structure and world design. More exploration and more open environments. Being able to split up the team during runs to have them do different things without have to be glued together. Someone deactivates an alarm while the other do something else, and so on.

Dragonfall DC was going in the right direction, but many improvements can be made for Hong Kong. I have probably missed some of the stuff I want, but these are the things I'd like to see off the top of my head.

Last edited by a moderator:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's at times like this that subtracting brofists would be nice.

naossano

Cipher
I just hope it is at least at the same level than DF & DMS.
I rather be skeptical and pleasantly surprised than expect the best game in the world and be disapointed.

Starwars

Arcane
I wonder exactly how they "price" this. Will it be an expansion? Will it have a big enough budget to be considered a sequel of sorts? In that case, how upgraded will the engine be?
Will be fun to see exactly where they're aiming.

That said, they certainly seemed to have learned that a lot of people appreciated Dragonfall so let's hope they will continue improving upon that type of experience.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's at times like this that subtracting brofists would be nice.

After a little while, nobody would have any brofists left.

Except that dastardly infinitron with his posting of whatever external content or news. *shakes fist* grr grr

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
After a little while, nobody would have any brofists left.

Better yet, take brofists into negative numbers so people owe the codex/community good posts.

Banana Smuggler there is no release date yet. HBS is going to be kickstarting this thing, and there's no date for the kickstarter at the moment either. Apparently it is going to start some time this month.

imweasel

I wonder exactly how they "price" this. Will it be an expansion? Will it have a big enough budget to be considered a sequel of sorts? In that case, how upgraded will the engine be?
Will be fun to see exactly where they're aiming.
Shadowrun: Hong Kong will probably be a full blown sequel.

HBS will drastically improve upon the fantastic Dragonfall and subsequently create one of the best RPGs ever made with the 5+ million dollars the fans threw at them during the Kickstarter.

1z7fvz.gif

Obviously prestigious. :obviously:

Last edited by a moderator:

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
:yeah:

Hope it's longer than Dragonfall though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom