Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun modules

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Maybe I am just retarded, branching seems very difficult to implement and faction dynamics just plain impossible. If you do manage some of this stuff with the editor, a tutorial would be awesome.

Also request for all the posts with good editor advice to be linked in OP.
What seems hard to do with branching? It seems straightforward to me, set a story variable and check it. If you did it on scene transition, it seems really easy. Just need to make 2 scenes. I haven't got that far into the editor though, so maybe there are hangups I'm not aware of.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We're most of us making very similar mods, by the looks of it. At least some incline is guaranteed. :)

DeepOcean

Arcane
Maybe I am just retarded, branching seems very difficult to implement and faction dynamics just plain impossible. If you do manage some of this stuff with the editor, a tutorial would be awesome.

Also request for all the posts with good editor advice to be linked in OP.

Well you could use story variables for both, it would just take crazy amount of work for factions. Create INT story variable for each faction and update the amount as you progress. (base faction level int=1, made progress int=2, faction fucking hates you int =120, etc). You would need lots and lots of scripts that call on these variables ingame though.

For branching it's not that hard imo, depending how huge your story is in the first place. Using bool variables you could set simpler shit like DID QUEST X =true or ACTOR Y DEAD = TRUE, and just have branching conversation that would check for these and direct your story that way. You still need to make all the story variants though. In my own module I'm planning to do this to have different paths/outcomes, it's not really hard just work you need to do multiplies.
Yep, branching can be easily done, the problem isn't branching in itself but that depending on the amount of it, that shit can get to exponentially amounts of work. When you realize that for each story decision you have to make a new conversation tree, new triggers even new locations, boy that is work that require shitloads of patience, there is a reason to why Age of Decadence is still to come out on a thursday to come.

Well you could use story variables for both, it would just take crazy amount of work for factions. Create INT story variable for each faction and update the amount as you progress. (base faction level int=1, made progress int=2, faction fucking hates you int =120, etc). You would need lots and lots of scripts that call on these variables ingame though.

For branching it's not that hard imo, depending how huge your story is in the first place. Using bool variables you could set simpler shit like DID QUEST X =true or ACTOR Y DEAD = TRUE, and just have branching conversation that would check for these and direct your story that way. You still need to make all the story variants though. In my own module I'm planning to do this to have different paths/outcomes, it's not really hard just work you need to do multiplies.

What seems hard to do with branching? It seems straightforward to me, set a story variable and check it. If you did it on scene transition, it seems really easy. Just need to make 2 scenes. I haven't got that far into the editor though, so maybe there are hangups I'm not aware of.

I was somewhat inarticulate, what I meant was it was quickly getting very tedious very fast. An :obviously: summary of my issue with branching:
Yep, branching can be easily done, the problem isn't branching in itself but that depending on the amount of it, that shit can get to exponentially amounts of work. When you realize that for each story decision you have to make a new conversation tree, new triggers even new locations, boy that is work that require shitloads of patience, there is a reason to why Age of Decadence is still to come out on a thursday to come.
It seems to me that to decently implement factions, Codexia's sperging from PE has to be efficiently channeled into the Editor.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It seems to me that to decently implement factions, Codexia's sperging from PE has to be efficiently channeled into the Editor.
:lol: Now I want to make a Shadowrun module about a scientist who created a devices where autism is translated into superpowers in the matrix.

DeepOcean

Arcane
:lol: Now I want to make a Shadowrun module about a scientist who created a devices where autism is translated into superpowers in the matrix.
:bro:

Yep, the processing power alone used on trying in vain to argue with Roguey could create an entire RPG full of choices and consequences.:lol:

Yep, the processing power alone used on trying in vain to argue with Roguey could create an entire RPG full of choices and consequences.:lol:

With a tedious editor. It took me a lot of while to figure out lighting. All the wiki said was... lol bro dunno try changing all this till shit looks sweet.

DeepOcean

Arcane

With a tedious editor. It took me a lot of while to figure out lighting. All the wiki said was... lol bro dunno try changing all this till shit looks sweet.

I didn't got it right yet but one thing is certain, that lightbulb icon is very misleading as the light don't come from that point, loading the campaign don't help either becuase HBS didn't cared at all in implement good lighting in most scenes. From, my experience, you have to place the light bulb under the ground level because for an weird reason the light really come from above it, but how to make the light properly illuminate the props, so the ground is illuminated but the props don't look like the light is deliberately avoiding them? That is a good question...

Eyeball

Arcane
Editor will save it. Never understood the Codex's hard on for mod tools when you can probably count on one hand the number of good mods/campaigns anyone on here has ever created. People just like to dick around with it.
Wait to see my module then, in 1 or 2 weeks, I'm finishing it after I finish the more complicated trigger settings and finish trying to make light work. It will be small, it has 2 exterior areas and 5 interior areas ready, the conversations are ready , the triggers to map transition, Ai patrols, ai spawn, goals,skill checks, quest items are in place , my main ploblem in the trigger area is how to put triggers to autosave and end the turn based combat mode on a convenient manner. The two biggest general problems I have is that:1) I have no idea if the combat is so hard to the point of being impossible or so easy to the point of being pointless and I'm not enthusiastic with the idea of playing it alot just to test this. 2) I tried to avoid cliche or bizarre shit that modders do thinking that they are writing but I risk of just trying too hard and being too verbose and while shit seems wonderful to me, it could be easily shit as I lack perspective.

I plan to add shit to it later, right now it has only a bigger quest and some small side quests but it will be a mission of breaking and entering when it will be possible to totally avoid combat with a high charisma and the right etiquettes, avoid combat by contolling the cameras with a decker to locate and avoid patrols, using rigger drones to spy the enemy from hidden spots and kill a few isolated enemies to soft things up when the shit gets real and if you trigger the alarm by assalting the main gate, prepare for a good fight (that is the main problem, on the campaign you can easily defeat the enemies even if heavily outnumbered as the enemies really have shit stats, but I already upgraded the stats, so I don't know if it is possible to win the fight as the enemy heavily outnumber you). I discovered that stealing shit from the campaign and shadowrun short stories/sourcebooks is by far the most efficient manner of making a module so you don't spend hours wondering how the quests and dialog are going to be or waste alot of time making each building individually.
So what you're saying is that it's gonna be shit?

And shit.

Yea, light sources are displaced by ~2 along the Y axis. it's been posted a few times, mentioned as a known issue on the wiki, etc. It's annoying, and hopefully they change it. Until then, peruse this thread: http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discussion/29449/the-ins-and-outs-of-lighting#Item_1
yeah this is some good stuff. Actually reduces the guesswork quite a bit.

Editor will save it. Never understood the Codex's hard on for mod tools when you can probably count on one hand the number of good mods/campaigns anyone on here has ever created. People just like to dick around with it.
Wait to see my module then, in 1 or 2 weeks, I'm finishing it after I finish the more complicated trigger settings and finish trying to make light work. It will be small, it has 2 exterior areas and 5 interior areas ready, the conversations are ready , the triggers to map transition, Ai patrols, ai spawn, goals,skill checks, quest items are in place , my main ploblem in the trigger area is how to put triggers to autosave and end the turn based combat mode on a convenient manner. The two biggest general problems I have is that:1) I have no idea if the combat is so hard to the point of being impossible or so easy to the point of being pointless and I'm not enthusiastic with the idea of playing it alot just to test this. 2) I tried to avoid cliche or bizarre shit that modders do thinking that they are writing but I risk of just trying too hard and being too verbose and while shit seems wonderful to me, it could be easily shit as I lack perspective.

I plan to add shit to it later, right now it has only a bigger quest and some small side quests but it will be a mission of breaking and entering when it will be possible to totally avoid combat with a high charisma and the right etiquettes, avoid combat by contolling the cameras with a decker to locate and avoid patrols, using rigger drones to spy the enemy from hidden spots and kill a few isolated enemies to soft things up when the shit gets real and if you trigger the alarm by assalting the main gate, prepare for a good fight (that is the main problem, on the campaign you can easily defeat the enemies even if heavily outnumbered as the enemies really have shit stats, but I already upgraded the stats, so I don't know if it is possible to win the fight as the enemy heavily outnumber you). I discovered that stealing shit from the campaign and shadowrun short stories/sourcebooks is by far the most efficient manner of making a module so you don't spend hours wondering how the quests and dialog are going to be or waste alot of time making each building individually.
So what you're saying is that it's gonna be shit?

And shit.
Everything is shit on the codex. But is the shit salvageable?

Machine

Arbiter
Yea, light sources are displaced by ~2 along the Y axis. it's been posted a few times, mentioned as a known issue on the wiki, etc. It's annoying, and hopefully they change it. Until then, peruse this thread: http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discussion/29449/the-ins-and-outs-of-lighting#Item_1

Speaking of lighting, did anybody figure out the values in System > Change Ambient/Directional Light? I have simple ambient color changing event in my matrix scene, but values seem way off. Even with something like RGBa 5 0 0 0 ambience changes completely red. When I tried to enter actual 1-255 values it changes to screen burning white :lol:

Zetor

Arcane

Speaking of lighting, did anybody figure out the values in System > Change Ambient/Directional Light? I have simple ambient color changing event in my matrix scene, but values seem way off. Even with something like RGBa 5 0 0 0 ambience changes completely red. When I tried to enter actual 1-255 values it changes to screen burning white :lol:
I think triggers use a 0-1 scale for colors (they definitely work that way for dialog color). Yeah, I don't know why either.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Back online after a vacation and looking at the released modules. Haven't really found a quality one yet... anyone have suggestions?

Thinking I want to add to my mission if I ever upload it, not just release some small dungeon.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I haven't bothered checking much, p. much everything available right now must be babby's first mod quality. It has not even been a month.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I haven't bothered checking much, p. much everything available right now must be babby's first mod quality. It has not even been a month.

Without mention that with the Berlin campaign in october there is alot of people waiting for HBS to patch things like lighting, better implemented area transitions, prop editing and characer selection out of combat .

Jackalope

Arcane
Back online after a vacation and looking at the released modules. Haven't really found a quality one yet... anyone have suggestions?

Thinking I want to add to my mission if I ever upload it, not just release some small dungeon.

I played a small module called Lost Lamb today. It's nothing fancy, but it's a decent way to spend 20 minutes.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Hmmm, has anyone figured out how to create an arena style module?

Lost Lamb does it okay. I assume he duplicated every building depending on quest status. Wouldn't be hard to do, just tedious. My plan would be a hub with multiple missions you could do in any order, I assume then you would only have to duplicate the hub.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Not necessarily.
The hub itself could be somewhat stagnant. The mission givers could each be in a separate building.
That way, you have the open world of the main hub, but not have to worry about the map not saving changes, etc.

Not necessarily.
The hub itself could be somewhat stagnant. The mission givers could each be in a separate building.
That way, you have the open world of the main hub, but not have to worry about the map not saving changes, etc.
The save system is really annoying while trying to make vapourware modules

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom