Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

Achilles

Arcane
I would like to know if they plan on using a top-down or isometric perspective before pledging. I've visited their site and the last game they created with the same engine was 2d top-down.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I doubt they will be directly using any version of the Shadowrun PnP rules. Those are all very complicated and require tons of GM judgement to work, and the combat system breaks down when you have powerful characters, which are BTW very easy to create by min/maxing character generation.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can't believe the 'Dex is cumming all over a tablet game.
A good pitch video and a good license have great power. Also, calling it either a tablet game or a pc game at this point is meaningless, since there are scant few details about the actual mechanics.

Multi-headed Cow

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING THIS YEAR I GIVE MONEY FOR WASTELAND 2 TURN BASED RPG I GIVE MONEY FOR BANNER SAGA TURN BASED RPG I GIVE MONEY FOR LEGEND OF GRIMROCK BLOBBER AND NOW I GIVE MONEY FOR SHADOWRUN TURN BASED RPG
WHAT'S HAPPENIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

Of course there's the chance that this, Wasteland 2, and Banner Saga all end up glorified Flash games. And the chance that since they're getting the money a bit front-loaded with Kickstarter they might slack off and pull a Notch and add fucking pet dogs instead of ALL THE SHIT TALKED ABOUT PREVIOUSLY. But I want to believe, bros. In fact I just looked at my order history on Steam for 2012, and I've spent less money through Steam itself this year than I have on Kickstarter. Fuck.

Ringhausen

Augur
A good pitch video and a good license have great power. Also, calling it either a tablet game or a pc game at this point is meaningless, since there are scant few details about the actual mechanics.
He says "for tablets and pcs" like 3 times in the pitch video. In that order. Worrying to say the least.

Multi-headed Cow

You would theoretically think he'd know what side his bread was buttered on when the copy of the game being passed out via the Kickstarter is the PC version.

Hopefully.

oh god it's going to be cyberpunk farmville what have we done

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, it's shadowrun, so I WANT TO BELIEVE!!!

The worst that can happen is that I've blown 15 bucks on newshit popamole decilne banalshitboring game. I've bought stuff from GOG that I've never touched so far for more than that, so I'll somehow survive. But I will be heartbroken.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
What he talks about sounds like a combination of the SNES and the Genesis Shadowrun, which in my book is the PERFECT shadowrun game... IF they manage to pull it out.

The fact that he is the creator of the PnP game and that he has Stackpole on board is great. Although Stackpole seems also to be lead designer in Wasteland2, so I don't know how this will turn out, especially with all these 1-year development time-lines...

Also tablets and smartphones won't hinder the depth of the gameplay in any way IMO, neither will there be any major UI problems. The touch mechanic can be easily translated to mouse movement and vice-versa, it's not like consoles where you have a gamepad.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I don't know about you guys but I am not *too* worried about the game being popamole or lolflashgaem. Anyone with half a brain cell can see that the demand is for a proper Shadowrun RPG. Just looking at the comments on the Kickstarter page shows that The People (tn) want it to be turn-based and dripping with major incline.

Although the tablet bit does leave me wondering...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
tablet-hand-pst.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
Good find trash, thats the evidence everything is possible on tablets, its powerful hardware now and can easily run any of the games we liked.Consoles too, just need developeprs willing to do it.

Achilles

Arcane
I would like to know if they plan on using a top-down or isometric perspective before pledging. I've visited their site and the last game they created with the same engine was 2d top-down.
good thing you focus on the essentials

I fully acknowledge that it's stupid and you're absolutely right to call me out on this but I can't help it. I don't enjoy top-down games, it's kind of a deal-breaker for me.

Gregz

Arcane
I’m not sure I get the tablet hate.

It's similar to console hate, the UI really does impact gameplay, usually by catering to the lowest common denominator (meaning negative impact to PC gamers). Certain game types aren't affected (angry birds plays equal on all platforms), other games are neutered or just plain unplayable depending on the platform (try playing CS:S on a tablet).

The cross platform UI issue is a relatively new problem that has yet to be resolved.

Peter

Arcane
Like ghostdog said earlier though, UI for tablet ports of games with mouse controls is not a problem. Not nearly as problematic as making a console UI work well on PC or vice versa, in any case.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
What irks me is how the first mention made after this phenomenal succes is adding more languages. Really, that's the first thing to spring to mind? Then however he goes and mentions deathmatches and my jaw really does drop. Compared to the wasteland guys who kept mentioning extra content being made possible by the extra funds or the banner people who were all happy to be able to get better sound and music this really is disappointing. We'll see.

Alex

Arcane
Trash

Well, if by deathmatches he means competing teams for the same run (which would make a lot more sense in the Shadowrun universe), then this might actually be a nice feature! Then again I do tend to be too much of an optmist...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I loathe MP aspects of a game, because it could impact the game in a bad way. Keep that shit out and make a separate MP Shadowrun game.

Renegen

Arcane
From the Kickstarter comments:
I have hopped on board! How could I not, I never really got into Shadowrun and the only aspect of it I did try was the FPS for Xbox 360. And I know that is nothing like the way it should be and that is why I am on board!
WTF. I just can't get my head around this type of thinking.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
From the Kickstarter comments:
I have hopped on board! How could I not, I never really got into Shadowrun and the only aspect of it I did try was the FPS for Xbox 360. And I know that is nothing like the way it should be and that is why I am on board!
WTF. I just can't get my head around this type of thinking.

Who cares as long as they back the project :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom