Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Shit in RPGs that piss you off

Shit IS the shit in rpgs that pisses me off. Shit combat, shit writing, shit exploration, etc.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The lack of shit in RPGs pisses me off. Sometimes they at least have bathrooms but you never get to use them. I wanted to drop a MOAB in my space toilet on the Normandy and find out what kind of advanced plunging technology exists in the future. But no, that's never on the developers' list of priorities.

Think of all the gameplay mechanics we're missing out on. You eat food to heal your HP, but if you overdo it then in a few hours you'll have a huge log to squeeze out. It doesn't care if you're in combat or not, it's coming out.

The lack of shit in RPGs pisses me off. Sometimes they at least have bathrooms but you never get to use them. I wanted to drop a MOAB in my space toilet on the Normandy and find out what kind of advanced plunging technology exists in the future. But no, that's never on the developers' list of priorities.

Think of all the gameplay mechanics we're missing out on. You eat food to heal your HP, but if you overdo it then in a few hours you'll have a huge log to squeeze out. It doesn't care if you're in combat or not, it's coming out.

That could be integrated into the combat system. You eat 3 hours before combat, and then BOOM!

Lurker47

Savant

That could be integrated into the combat system. You eat 3 hours before combat, and then BOOM!
Farts could mess up stealth too.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
And when occurring in combat, they would stun enemies. Brilliant.

But only the female ones. Enemy males would get +1 to Wit.

laclongquan

Arcane
The serious lack of indicator and grid in Fallout Tactics. For a tactical combat game, it's hard to do tactical. I want a grid so I can do the step 1AP, shoot, then 1AP back to cover. Or move up the stair just 1 AP so that I can see over the ceiling to check the surrounding instead of running blindly up.

Fallout Tactics illustrate perfectly how far ahead Silent Storm engine games had advanced from it, tactical-wise.

Runic Knight

Barely Literate
Unbeatable bosses solely because of plot railroading. If I am a good enough player, I should be able to mess the boss up. I don't care if you want to resurrect him after the fight, or pull a cheap shot victory, or whatever after the fact, but if I am good enough, I should be rewarded by being able to stomp him down. I remember an old gameboy rpg that did this right, surprisingly. Forgot what it was, had randomly generated dungeon floors and 9 party member slots. Started with an "L" I think. "Lufia?" Maybe? But if you played smart, you could kill the boss guy way before you were suppose to in the plot. And even get a unique weapon out of the deal. I loved that.

Other than that, needlessly padding things. If I go to a shop, I don't want to have to click through the same dialog options 10 times. Do it once, maybe have a seperate command button in case I find a reason I would make small talk with the shopkeeper, but otherwise, just open right up to the trade or craft menu itself when I click on them. Stop wasting my time. And this idea applies to everything from the super slow chest opening scenes like you see in zelda games, to character-less shopkeeper npc, to even intro and exits of battles when it comes to more turn based or staged fight rpg. It is not only needless padding, it is infuriating. Makes the player go on autopilot and just spam command inputs.

I mean, if the npc actually said something of value, such as local rumors while chatting, commentary on recent events, hints about quest items or leads... I could get it. But even those would wash up once in a while so it goes back to wasting time. I can get developers don't want npc to feel like vending machines but damn it, that IS what they are when they are literally regurgitating a few scant lines of dialog you have to listen to and click through every single time.

Hell, how about just setting up a general "shop" function in the player inventory when they are in town and leave the decision to listen to the inane ramblings of the plague-victim zombie dialoged townsfolk to the player without holding vital gameplay elements hostage to it.

Runic Knight

Barely Literate
I like crafting. As a game advancement mechanic I find it simple, but hey, sometimes that can be fun or relaxing. Sometimes you just want to tinker and make stuff a little, be it to get a little stronger in a way that is a break from the standard gameplay, or just to feel invested in a specific build or direction. Crafting can do that well, rewarding you while scratching that itch at the same time.

That said, I absolutely hate how crafting is often implemented in nearly every rpg I have played. First, balance is so hard to get right. items crafted either are equivalent to what you could find in a fraction of the time if you just toughed it out on the plot railroad, making crafting itself pointless. Or crafting is so brokenly overpowered that it feels your character's growth pales next to the majestic overwhelming technology of the crafted purple plated pants of pious penguinwalk (+2). Added to that latter issue, it renders any item finds discard able trash, making exploration less about getting stronger yourself and more about feeding the crafting habit. I mean first they start you off early, they help you out, maybe even get you some free leather straps and iron ore. Next thing you know you are doing unspeakable things to goblins, praying that if you mutilate them in just the right way the gods will favor you with that rare cracked rock you have been seeking.

Beyond those two ends of crafting viability though, there is also the aspect where crafting is always coupled with inventory issues. Either bottomless inventory filled with every drop you ever found, making them both worthlessly non-unique to the player, and too precious to sell because they might be useful, or limited inventory that forces you juggle items every few enemies because they explode like vender-trash filled pinata.

For crafting to be done right, there needs to be a point to it that relates to character progression. But it also has to be not overshadowing everything else. I think systems that have unique and balanced items and gear that can be made better through crafting is usually the best way to do that. It rewards and encourages finding to stuff (so exploration and by extension loot itself is not rendered meaningless), without overshadowing it (making the core combat and gameplay itself become an annoying minigame to fuel the crafting addiction power junkie syndrome.)

It would also need for crafting items found to be valuable on their own. Not just in the since of "well shopkeep will toss you a coin or two for them" sense, but in the "If I use this, it will be a pain to get another, or I can sell it and buy a good new item." To this end I would almost say tying crafting items to how someone plays the game itself would be a possible balancing pathway. I think back to Dark Souls and the fun game of trying to get the tails from various dragon because each was a unique weapon. Challenging someone to play toward specific victory conditions to get crafting materials would make them valuable to the player, rewarding to craft with, and encourage mastery of the gameplay itself. Simple things like killing certain creatures with different elements could result in different versions of items they could drop, where really rare items may themselves force players to try unfamiliar or less used tactics, pulling away both from hyper-defined (and often overpowered) builds, and from players falling into the same tactical rut and not making use of the gameplay systems nuances and variety. Granted, not without its own problems, but this would at least turn the usually divergent natures of crafting systems and standard rpg core gameplay into at least going in the same general direction.

Finally, I hate the way how some crafting items are utterly worthless. Usually a problem that is far worse in situations where you are flooded with either bottomless supplies of trash anyways, or the opposite where you have so limited inventory that you can't believe you drug a dozen such items around for several hours. But having something with one or two recipes for crafting that you either make or grow past but you keep finding the drops everywhere. While unique loot for every single enemy type is insane to deal with in its own way, having the monsters summoned by the big bad near the end of the game drop the same "beast hide" you got from the sewer rats at the start that you have not needed for literal days in playtime is just terrible.

gaussgunner

Arcane
I don't recall any RPG with shitposting besides Shadowrun games.

Solution: make one.

Working on it. Some of my NPCs are literally internet shitposters. I should find a way for the player to play that game, beyond mere shit-talking (lying, intimidation).... say if you've assessed the situation correctly and chosen wisely in dialogue, you can spin a glorious web of bullshit....

Beyond those two ends of crafting viability though, there is also the aspect where crafting is always coupled with inventory issues. Either bottomless inventory filled with every drop you ever found, making them both worthlessly non-unique to the player, and too precious to sell because they might be useful, or limited inventory that forces you juggle items every few enemies because they explode like vender-trash filled pinata.

That's so depressingly realistic you might as well make a game called Hoarder Sim 2000: Kwan Flea Market Junkie. Challenges include eviction notices, house fires, and maneuvering your fat ass through the ceiling-high stacks of junk in the bathroom to get to the toilet before you shit your pants. You know you're winning when you have a 4-car garage full of random items which would be serviceable after a few minor repairs.

For crafting to be done right, there needs to be a point to it that relates to character progression. But it also has to be not overshadowing everything else.

It would also need for crafting items found to be valuable on their own.

Well you can have crafting skils and items that allow you to craft somewhat better equipment than you can find or buy. You can have prerequisite skills for those crafting skills and the crafted equipment. That's like D:OS; meh. You can have magical enhancements for medieval weapons & armor; those are valuable/useful on their own. In an rpg with guns like JA2 you can add accessories. That's not full-fledged crafting but it's a way to (re)combine useful items in a logical manner. I can live with that.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hell, how about just setting up a general "shop" function in the player inventory when they are in town
Weirdly, I've seen Codexers get mad when town functions are made convenient. Better to have to walk back and forth running errands with no challenge or gameplay. Yet these same people will make fun of "walking simulators".
shrug.gif

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
But walking to shopkeepers is more immersive. Though immersive games also got their reputation ruined by shit like Skyrim.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Hell, how about just setting up a general "shop" function in the player inventory when they are in town
Weirdly, I've seen Codexers get mad when town functions are made convenient. Better to have to walk back and forth running errands with no challenge or gameplay. Yet these same people will make fun of "walking simulators".
shrug.gif
Wizardry's town was better than most open world towns. Just saying.

Hrymr

Educated
Mount & Blade towns are a good example of compromise. There is Wizardry style list of relevant to player places which everyone is using most of the time, because it's just convenient , but if you are interested in "muh immersion" then you can take walk on the streets and fraternise with the local folk.
Personally I find it hard to believe that anyone can really "get immersed" in those RPG towns that have 4-5 buildings and population of 10 citizens.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Personally I find it hard to believe that anyone can really "get immersed" in those RPG towns that have 4-5 buildings and population of 10 citizens.

Most RPG towns have more than that. You are building a strawman.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Sod off. Small RPG towns are the best. After you play the game for a while you get to know every NPC, every building, every corner, so going back from he dungeon really feels like coming home. I'll take Trinsic and Khorrinis over these fancy metropolises like Novigrad.

Falksi

Arcane
Sod off. Small RPG towns are the best. After you play the game for a while you get to know every NPC, every building, every corner, so going back from he dungeon really feels like coming home. I'll take Trinsic and Khorrinis over these fancy metropolises like Novigrad.

Totally agree with this. Most these massive RPGs never allow you form any connection with NPCs or places. Like most the loot, everything's disposable nowadays.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom