Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Shoot'em up goodness (review and discuss)

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Does this analogy work? 3CC is like beating the game on normal, and 1CC is like beating the game on hard.
Not really as many console and pc shmups have difficulty levels so you can get a 1CC on normal or a 1CC on lunatic. Can't really say that a 3CC on hard is like a 1CC on normal or whatever. The trade off would be case by case

Saying a 3CC is "beating the game" sounds like massive cope to me.

1CC or bust. You don't have to play for 1CC, of course, you can just enjoy the game and not put too much pressure on yourself - in fact, I'd say having a more relaxed approach helps prevent burnout in some measure.

Also what Nutmeg said, with the addition that even arcade shmups have difficulty DIP switches or options, which sometimes differ depending on the region.

But in any case, you can't say you've beaten anything if you got a game over screen and had to feed extra credits.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
New to the party. I have been following the thread for two days and got my retroarch ready with Final Burn Neo. And this collection of games:

ihow7bW.png

I chosen Raiden I as first game because I liked the aesthetic. Any other old school arcade suggestion for a beginner or recommendations to fill my library?

fork

Easy 1CCs are DonPachi, Batsugun Special and Mushi Futari Black Label Original.
I'd start with Batsugun Special and work my way up from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Easy 1CCs are DonPachi, Batsugun Special and Mushi Futari Black Label Original.
I'd start with Batsugun Special and work my way up from there.
Thanks for the recommendations.
I thought about starting with older games to see the evolution in the genre. But I guess all the old games are hard.

fork

That is of course another option, but most older games aged badly, at least in my opinion. It's not necessarily that they're harder, but they're hard as well, and often more punishing and just overall less refined. Late Toaplan and Cave are where the gameplay is at for me, they really perfected the genre, and you can spend the rest of your life on their catalogue alone if you want to, but I think most posters here disagree, so wait for more opinions.

It also depends on what you want out of the genre; just "fool around" and explore the genre a bit? Or go for the 1CC right away, or even try what your personal high score can be? It may be a good idea to play many different games at first to get a feel for what you enjoy, and then sooner or later you'll find one which compels you to try to 1CC it. Just make sure it's not one of the harder ones, since hard in this genre really is hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It also depends on what you want out of the genre; just "fool around" and explore the genre a bit? Or go for the 1CC right away, or even try what your personal high score can be? It may be a good idea to play many different games at first to get a feel for what you enjoy, and then sooner or later you'll find one which compels you to try to 1CC it. Just make sure it's not one of the harder ones, since hard in this genre really is hard.
That´s a good idea. I would like to explore the genre, and at some point 1CC games.

New to the party. I have been following the thread for two days and got my retroarch ready with Final Burn Neo. And this collection of games:

ihow7bW.png

I chosen Raiden I as first game because I liked the aesthetic. Any other old arcade suggestion for a beginner or recommendations to fill my library?
I think Raiden is not that good of an idea for a beginner. I love Raiden, but it's hard as fuck, there is horizontal scrolling despite it being a vert game, offscreen killer bullets that you won't be able to see, and most importantly, the player's ship speed is excruciatingly slow. This is true for pretty much all games in the series, but especially for the first two.

If you love the Raiden aesthetic you might want to try Gekinrindan, a Taito game that's very inspired by it but also much easier.

Emulating Raiden is also further complicated by the fact that the Seibu Kaihatsu arcade boards ran at a weird refresh rate (54hz), so unless you have a freesync/gsync-capable monitor (and enable the "sync to exact refresh" option in RA), you're going to get either weird stuttering or sped-up gameplay at 60hz. In any case, it won't be accurate. Depending on your level of tolerance, it might make the games unplayable once you see them running properly.

I noticed you have Tatsujin on there - my advice to you is play the MD version first, it's much more manageable than the arcade and close enough in visuals (though the audio is kind of fucked). You'll thank me later.

I also noticed there are no horizontal STGs in your list. Are you not interested in them at all? There are some true hori gems, some of my favourite games.

Another thing, I see you have some Raizing games in your list but not my favourite - the very first Mahou Daisakusen (Sorcer Striker). It's a brilliant game and not as hard as some of the later offerings. Do give it a try. Also, Dimahoo is a great sequel.

Another emulation tip: later Cave games (Mushi and up) are not emulated properly on MAME and have severe timing issues. I'd recommend playing the Xbox 360 ports on Xenia (Mushi Futari especially is a great port, by Cave themselves) instead. The Steam port of vanilla Mushi, Deathsmiles and Daifukkatsu are fine, but they have varying degrees of timing inconsistencies - Mushi is the best. Earlier CAVE games are mostly fine, but I'd still prefer playing the PS2 port of DDP DaiOuJou because of the better audio (the MAME driver is bad) , and it's a great port with very consistent timing by Arika. Same for ESP Galuda, which is a bit of a worse port, but again better than MAME for audio. PCSX2 has improved a lot lately and there are no longer any latency issues.

You might have seen this linked earlier in the thread if you've been lurking, but there's a Japanese wiki listing with STG ranked by order of 1CC difficulty, including console games. It's pretty old by this point, so doesn't include newer games, but it's pretty accurate.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56114

If you're just starting out I'd say don't get too hung up on 1CC, just play the games you enjoy and credit feed the first few times you play them just to get a feel and enjoy the visuals/mechanics. Then start imposing limits like 5 credits, 3 credits, etc if you want, but obsessing over 1CC when you're new will burn you out pretty quickly.

If you're interested in modern games at all, try ZeroRanger on Steam.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

ihow7bW.png

I chosen Raiden I as first game because I liked the aesthetic. Any other old arcade suggestion for a beginner or recommendations to fill my library?
I also noticed there are no horizontal STGs in your list. Are you not interested in them at all? There are some true hori gems, some of my favourite games.
Yes. I'm interested in horizontal games. Can you recommend me a bunch of your favourites?

Wishlisted zeroranger on Steam

Yes. I'm interested in horizontal games. Can you recommend me a bunch of your favourites?
My favourite hori shmup is Gradius V. Works perfectly on PCSX2. Go play it right away if you haven't.

Some of my favourite classics are R-Type Delta, R-Type Leo (most people don't consider this a 'true' R-Type but whatever), Life Force (NES - better than arcade Salamander IMO), Gradius Gaiden (PSX), X-Multiply (horror-themed shooter by IREM, very underrated), Darius Gaiden, G-Darius (the recent remaster is excellent, it's available on Steam), and Thunderforce III and IV (MD).

I prefer horis with environmental hazards and levels you're supposed to navigate around, so I'm not a fan of Cave hori stuff like Progear, Deathsmiles or Akai Katana (though they're definitely worth playing, just not my cup of tea).

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Downloaded your horizontal recommendations.

After trying a good bunch of games I liked a lot Guwange. I think I'm gonna stick with it and try to 1CC it.

Guwange is really cool. I never did 1CC it, but played a fair bit of it years ago. The Joker Jun artwork is top notch.

Machocruz

Arcane
Hori all day , for me. Having a backdrop and contending with the environment makes it feel more like an adventure than verts, where you're mostly passing over an environment, not through it. Detached. The list Great Deceiver gave is a nigh perfect selection of the best of type. I personally would add R Type 1 and 2. I never found them overly difficult (although I played them when young and didn't have much to compare them to) and the first is a foundational text of the genre. Blazing Star is a solid R Type wannabe, and on the easier side.

Last edited:

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Darius Gaiden is worth a shoot. One of the most beautiful and atmospheric shmups in my opinion, and its choice of pathing makes it a good choice if want to study a game extensively without getting bored. It is quite marvelously crafted. Just remember to setup the autofire.
Plus the endings are in best type of Engrish.

Battle Traverse and Rolling Gunner are newer yoko STGs. Rolling Gunner has weird PC distribution where you have to order a DVD from Japan. It's on Switch however and had a major DLC.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You might have seen this linked earlier in the thread if you've been lurking, but there's a Japanese wiki listing with STG ranked by order of 1CC difficulty, including console games. It's pretty old by this point, so doesn't include newer games, but it's pretty accurate.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56114

If you're just starting out I'd say don't get too hung up on 1CC, just play the games you enjoy and credit feed the first few times you play them just to get a feel and enjoy the visuals/mechanics. Then start imposing limits like 5 credits, 3 credits, etc if you want, but obsessing over 1CC when you're new will burn you out pretty quickly.
What's the meaning of 1-ALL, 2-ALL,etc.?

1-ALL: clear the first loop (many shmups loop over to the beginning on a higher difficulty after you beat them) on 1 credit
2-ALL: clear the 2nd loop on 1 credit

Machocruz

Arcane
People, what are some good 'spooky' shmups besides Cotton and Undead Line? I want to add a shmup to my Halloween rotation this year.

Silentstorm

Learned
Hard for me to think, not a horror fan AT ALL and generally avoid horror stuff unless it's actually cutesy or really not that scary, but i played Gynoug this year and that had some horror like elements and designs when it comes to bosses who are creative and pretty cool in terms of looks.
Wishlisted zeroranger on Steam
That one is pretty fun, also easy to practice for 1CC's due to one cool detail, the game lets you start at every stage after you beat it once(though only with the weapons you had then, if i recall, if you want to start with a 2nd loadout you must play it a 2nd time at least starting with the previous stage) and i mean all of them, even the last stage...you can start a new game and go straight to the final boss, the game doesn't give you much in terms of continues though...at first, the more you play, the more you unlock through points but considering the game lets you start at any stage...yeah, there is a 2nd Loop too and as befits ZeroRanger, after you unlock the harder 2nd loop the game just allows you to start there at any stage in the 2nd loop with quite a few differences between both loops.

With save states it wasn't so bad for older games, but for newer games, it's nice just being able to practice stages without needing to play the game from the start or even try the 2nd Loop right in once you get to it, if i recall, i think you can die in your first attempt at the first stage of the 2nd Loop and it will still give you the option to get there since you did manage to get to the 2nd loop to begin with.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Have purchased ZeroRanger. Great fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom