Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should older games be remade?

Andhaira

Arcane
With the current trend of older movies being remade, what do you think about video games? Should they be remade? Imagine seeing Wizardry 1 and Ultima 1 in the half life engine.

Discuss!!

Zomg

Arbiter
Those would be retarded since there's nothing there to remake. At best they'd just be hitting nostalgia notes for the beardlords that are too stupid to play Roguelikes.

Remakes are kind of a fucked up situation altogether because there's too much commercial incentive to remake enduringly popular games/movies/books/whatever with a strong, perpetual fanbase, i.e. stuff that was pretty fucking good to begin with. The games that should actually be remade would be things that had strong concepts with weak technology, design errors or bad programming/execution/whatever, which means shit most people would have never heard of, which means no easy premarketed games for publishers or pushbutton nostalgia cash-ins.

I could take a C&C remake with nothing else changed than pathfinding. Though I suppose it's part of the charm that when you give an attack order, your formation scatters all over the place and your flame tank tries to burn it's way through a tree, frying your artillery in the process.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I honestly would love to see the Ultima's re-done, with a decent combat engine.

And the story lies to finally all mesh between all 8 games.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
No, no, no...Fallout, Planescape, Arcanum are all fine. Remake all those dosbox games. I really would play new (=even iso Fallout-like look is enough) Wasteland, Darklands and stuff like that.

Andhaira

Arcane
Darlands done in a dungeon siege engine would be sweet (as long as it had turnbased combat)

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The first King's Quest and Quest for Glory games have been remade wonderfully.

Stabwound

Arcane
I like remakes, but only if they keep the original feel of the games and don't change too much. For example, the Wizardry 1-4 remakes (Japanese only) basically just give the games a graphical facelift, UI improvement as well as an automap which makes them a lot more playable and accessible.

elander_

Arbiter
Those games that are yet unmastered should get a remake or a free spiritual remake to show newbe players and game designers that good games aren't restricted to the last two years.

These days they don't even try to make good gameplay. It's all about pixel shaders, finding loot and Diablo like combat in first person view.

Luzur

Good Sir
Wasteland

that game could use a little Fallout rust and grime on it, it was too colorful for being a post-apocalypse game.

Dark Matter said:
A Daggerfall remake would be amazing.

just a engine/add int he missing parts remake then, the rest is fine.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
For an older title to be remade, it has to offer something to today's market that is in short supply. A remake of Crusader: No Remorse, for example, is not a sensible idea because the concept has been done to death many times.

Carmageddon, on the other hand, is a game worthy of a remake. Today's racing games may include collisions, collateral damage and pile-ups, but they aren't built around those concept. What was the last game that allowed you to drive your car from rooftop to rooftop, only to ("accidentally") land on top of a panicking pedestrian?

On car-related notes, what about 4D Sports Driving (Stunts)? When was the last time a track editor was included with a driving game? Or the Street Rod games, what was the last game to emphasise you customizing your car?

Loom is also worthy of a remake. The interface is so simple (and sound-based, which is quite novel) that it can be ported to just about every current platform out there. The game was beautiful back then, with today's emphasis on graphics and appearance it would blend right in.

Two old sandbox games that could be made into something truly special today are the Midwinter games. They gave you an objective, the tools to complete it, a massive world to play around in but left everything else up to you.

I realise that none of these titles are RPG games, but I can't be the only one here who wouldn't object to a remake of these games, can I?

Rondel.

Novice
Stunts -> Trackmania (there's an editor in TM Nations, maybe in other as well). X-pand Rally has an editor too.

xuerebx

Erudite
jagged-jimmy said:
No, no, no...Fallout, Planescape, Arcanum are all fine. Remake all those dosbox games. I really would play new (=even iso Fallout-like look is enough) Wasteland, Darklands and stuff like that.

Agreed.

denizsi

Arcane
As long as the only part to get a remake would be the eye fucking-mind boggling interfaces, I'd love to have lots of remakes. LOTS of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom